Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited June 2021
    33gail33 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We went back to 50% in office (20 hrs per week) back in January. We go back 100% July 1 which is the start of our new fiscal year. We have an exception form for people with kids that will be in effect until school goes back in August as summer programs for kids were very limited this year. Going forward we will have more flexibility to work from home when kids are sick and stuff like that, but otherwise WFH ends July 1.

I've heard a few times (not sure how accurate it is) that people are saying they will quit rather than go back to the office full time.

I can kind of see it tbh. At my work we are not paperless so it was a LOT of hassle to work fully from home - especially during the stay-at-home orders because there were people who wanted to work in the office, but only alone. So we had to work around that. Personally I went into the office every Sunday for 5 months to get some office time, and had to do pick up and drop off of files during non working hours (like at 7 AM or 9 PM).

It would be pretty *kitten* for my company to tell employees who were bending over backwards to keep the business going that we were expected to be flexible for them, but they won't be flexible for us going forward. Doesn't sound like my firm will be doing that, but some might.

I tentatively plan on working Monday and Friday from home, and in the office Tues through Thursday.

I'd already been working remotely 100% for 9 years before the pandemic, and have no desire to ever be onsite full time again. I'm hoping employers are now much more open to it than previously.

My employer wasn't open to it initially, but I had worked there in person for three years before I moved and he trusted me. We had another employee who worked there in person until his visa expired and he had to leave, and he became remote as well. We also had a variety of overseas freelancers who were able to access some of our resources, so our sys admin was experienced with setting people up for remote access, and we were in better shape than many companies to make the switch to all remote for the people in IT and Marketing.
  • xblosh
    xblosh Posts: 146 Member
    edited June 2021
    Home workout is one of the best solution in this pandemic ofc. Just keep the body moving and sweating hihi
  • xblosh
    xblosh Posts: 146 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    We went back to 50% in office (20 hrs per week) back in January. We go back 100% July 1 which is the start of our new fiscal year. We have an exception form for people with kids that will be in effect until school goes back in August as summer programs for kids were very limited this year. Going forward we will have more flexibility to work from home when kids are sick and stuff like that, but otherwise WFH ends July 1.

I've heard a few times (not sure how accurate it is) that people are saying they will quit rather than go back to the office full time.

I can kind of see it tbh. At my work we are not paperless so it was a LOT of hassle to work fully from home - especially during the stay-at-home orders because there were people who wanted to work in the office, but only alone. So we had to work around that. Personally I went into the office every Sunday for 5 months to get some office time, and had to do pick up and drop off of files during non working hours (like at 7 AM or 9 PM).

It would be pretty *kitten* for my company to tell employees who were bending over backwards to keep the business going that we were expected to be flexible for them, but they won't be flexible for us going forward. Doesn't sound like my firm will be doing that, but some might.

I tentatively plan on working Monday and Friday from home, and in the office Tues through Thursday.

I've seen several articles stating the bloded that x% won't go back to the office. I'm sure that number will change when the employer says that's fine, I'm taking that as your resignation.

Of course employers (in most U.S. states) are free to do that, but given widespread labor shortages, the employees are likely to have an easier time finding a new position that suits them than the employer will in finding someone to fill the vacancies if they aren't willing to offer new hires flexibility or higher wages or better benefits.

Thing is many of the critical labor shortages are in occupations where WFH isn't an option.

Totally aggre 100
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    Breaking news: AZ vaccine in Australia will only be for over 60's
    Pfizer for all under 60's
    Changed from 50 as of today.

I presume those under 60 who have already had one dose of AZ still get their 2nd dose though

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Re the European Football as mentioned above, supporters who travel have been required to show clear covid test results before travel/attending. Travel is frowned on from the UK, the traffic light system has only one or two countries designated as green on it which means one does not have to isolate afterwards.

I can't say I like the idea of people mixing in such large number, nor can I comment on the amount of interactions between the persons not having seen the footage. I have to accept that these supporters are screened and will probably be tested later to see what the transfer rate is/was. There have been other large gatherings which have been monitored in this way to enable a greater understanding of this "covid thing" so an idea can be gained for opening up. Needless to say, one chooses to attend, one is free to do as one wishes within the guidance.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Morgan Stanley CEO to NYC workers: Be back in the office by September or else (https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/investing/morgan-stanley-ceo-return-to-office/index.html)
    "If you can go to a restaurant in New York City, you can come into the office. And we want you in the office," Gorman said.

It seems that not everybody is giving the workers a choice unless there are special circumstances for doing that. I am not going to comment on this subject because I am retired so my thoughts really don't count in the matter. I am just posting this information based on the comments written by many members.

Changing the subject: My husband and I had to run some errands today, the first day after California re-open and I noticed a discrepancy between what is allowed and what people are really doing.

Doctor's office: everybody (staff and patients) wearing masks. No exception, as listed in the health orders.
    Restaurant: nobody (staff or patrons) wearing masks, but indoor tables were not too busy and people were choosing tables that were further apart. It was too hot to even think about eating outside.
    Sketchers Store: All employees were masked, and the same with some patrons, while others were very happy to show their mask-less faces.
    Home Depot: all the employees were wearing mask, but some patrons were not, while most of them were masked. What a mix!

I don't know if the people wearing masks were being careful or were not vaccinated, but everybody was very civilized. No funny looks or comments.

I did wear my mask in the stores, but my husband was not. He was happy to be able to wear his hearing aid without the risk of losing it again. It seems that glasses, hearing aids, and the strap of the mask don’t work very well together.

When I was sewing masks, one style was different from anything sold. One friend saw them and asked for some specifically because of the issue with his earring aids and them getting pulled out.

@kshama2001 DD and SIL used to live in NYC and SIL worked for a very large company. Two years ago, they moved to the Boston area and SIL transferred to the Boston office. Same company, same job, same responsibilities but pay was cut. For that well known company, Boston pay is lower than NYC due to the expense of living in NYC. Though from pre-COVID that parallels the current position of the Morgan Stanley CEO.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Morgan Stanley CEO to NYC workers: Be back in the office by September or else (https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/investing/morgan-stanley-ceo-return-to-office/index.html)
    "If you can go to a restaurant in New York City, you can come into the office. And we want you in the office," Gorman said.

It seems that not everybody is giving the workers a choice unless there are special circumstances for doing that. I am not going to comment on this subject because I am retired so my thoughts really don't count in the matter. I am just posting this information based on the comments written by many members.

Changing the subject: My husband and I had to run some errands today, the first day after California re-open and I noticed a discrepancy between what is allowed and what people are really doing.

Doctor's office: everybody (staff and patients) wearing masks. No exception, as listed in the health orders.
    Restaurant: nobody (staff or patrons) wearing masks, but indoor tables were not too busy and people were choosing tables that were further apart. It was too hot to even think about eating outside.
    Sketchers Store: All employees were masked, and the same with some patrons, while others were very happy to show their mask-less faces.
    Home Depot: all the employees were wearing mask, but some patrons were not, while most of them were masked. What a mix!

I don't know if the people wearing masks were being careful or were not vaccinated, but everybody was very civilized. No funny looks or comments.

I did wear my mask in the stores, but my husband was not. He was happy to be able to wear his hearing aid without the risk of losing it again. It seems that glasses, hearing aids, and the strap of the mask don’t work very well together.

When I was sewing masks, one style was different from anything sold. One friend saw them and asked for some specifically because of the issue with his earring aids and them getting pulled out.

@kshama2001 DD and SIL used to live in NYC and SIL worked for a very large company. Two years ago, they moved to the Boston area and SIL transferred to the Boston office. Same company, same job, same responsibilities but pay was cut. For that well known company, Boston pay is lower than NYC due to the expense of living in NYC. Though from pre-COVID that parallels the current position of the Morgan Stanley CEO.

Yes, I did not mean to compare Boston salaries directly to NYC, but Boston to South Florida, and then agreeing that getting a NYC salary means suffering the inconveniences and expenses of living in or commuting to NYC :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited June 2021
    SModa61 wrote: »

Yeah, that's normal. For example, large law firms normally pay the same starting salary as their perceived competitors within the city, not over the various cities the firms are operating in, even though they usually have a bunch of different offices.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    There are also regional pay differentials in federal service. There's a basic pay rate per position, and it is increased depending on where your job is located. It can actually be a huge difference in pay from place to place. And that's part of the compensation for working in particular areas. If it's more expensive to live there or commute there, then you are compensated for that.