What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• xblosh
    xblosh Posts: 146 Member
    megemrj wrote: »
    Physical therapy 45 mins
    +
    Strong Lifts 5x5 (squats, deadlifts, Landmine Overhead Press, & Landmine Twists)

That is great! Keep it up maaammm
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2021
    Did an easy hour of cardio inside in the A/C today. No garage workout today. 30 on the LateralX and 30 on the Assault Bike.

I have guys at my house taking out my old tile on the pool in 107 degree heat. I've been running out there all day making sure they aren't overheating and keeping a mister fan on them.

I also sell solar as a solar broker. My neighbor's solar (that I sold him) is going up today as well. Really feel for those guys up there on the roof, in the full sun, at 107. But I know a lot of roofers and what scares them more than sun is wind. Luckily, none of that today. Now, understand, this is AZ. People get really acclimated to the heat here and there's very little, if any, humidity until late July and early August. But 107 is still hot.

I'm also looking at getting a portable evaporator cooler (affectionately known as "Swamp Coolers") for my garage. Man they have come down in price. I can get one that would cool my entire garage for around $500 now and move it to the patio when needed too. I'm learning the hard way in AZ. Fans, even powerful ones, just move hot air around here. They don't actually do much to cool you.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,386 Member
    Nothing. Rest day. Just got in my 10k steps.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Haven't reported lately. Sunday was my usual rest day. Monday we had weather (East wind, mostly) that led us to cancel rowing, then it was stormy so I didn't walk, put off strength (any excuse works for that; I don't like lifting).

Tuesday:
    * Half hour yoga/stretch/foam roll
    * Squeezed in 10.67mi easy pace bike ride in the afternoon
    * Helped with learn-to-row class in evening again, so a small bit boat carrying & rowing, mostly boat-stabilizing for a couple of hours.
    * 42' strength training.

Wednesday:
    * Around 7k rowing bow in the quad
    * 6.18 mi walk at 4.1mph average on a different (unfamiliar) trail segment while my car tire was getting repaired (🙄)

I got a tiny Garmin fitness age estimate improvement, from 30 to 28, because it cooled off to high 70s and slightly lower humidity, so I organically pepped up walking pace. I was hoping for a better black-box testing scenario, with the change in temp and pace, since HR was perking along nicely, mostly in low/mid 120s at 4+ mph. Unfortunately, near the end of the walk, the heart rate reading went to 160s-170s, suddenly, for no obvious reason. (My normal actual max is around 180, not the age-estimated 155.) I think it was the HRM, not the heart. I felt fine, wasn't breathing heavily. I didn't count out my heartbeat formally, but I put the back of my hand on my neck when the Garmin was saying 170+, and my heart was definitely *not* beating at nearly 3 beats per second. Curses, foiled again! 🤣

(If it's not clear: I think all of that is pretty amusing, not serious or important. My health is important. Weird technology estimates, not so much. As a former software professional pre-retirement, it's wired into my cognition to want to watch the tech and speculate about what its internals do. I do read a bit about it, but that kinda reduces the fun.)

@MikePfirrman, it's so nice of you to be looking out for your roofer guys, doing extra things to try to keep them more safe/comfortable. Good show, you!

I lived in Sparks, NV (Reno suburb, high desert) for one summer, and worked in a plastics extrusion-molding factory out in the desert, theoretically air-conditioned but many machines running in 400F range. I think it got to 110 at least once that year outside, and was generally hot, clear, dry. That was enough to convince me that I didn't want to live anywhere like that. It's not what my Northern European genes, Great Lakes upbringing, want. If anything, I'd move North, seek a less humid area - but plan to stick here.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My big workout today was assembling a cat tree on my porch, discovering it wouldn't fit through the door, disassembling it and moving it inside, upstairs, and doing it over.

I mean I also hiked 12 miles Saturday and did 4 hours of peddle boating Sunday, and 5 mile hike Monday, and a few miles of jog this morning, but really the work out was that blasted cat tree.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Easy pace 6 mile run this morning. Lovely to be out in the fresh air running again, 4 months ago I was depressed and not able to run a mile.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Morning-
    Strong Lifts 5x5 (squats, bench press, bent over rows, & Landmine Twists)
    +
    Afternoon-
    Physical therapy 45 mins
  • acardone
    acardone Posts: 13 Member
    Did 40 minutes (5.5kms @ 7.3 minutes/km) on the elliptical.
    Can’t say I’ve ever loved the elliptical trainer, my toes go a bit numb after 20or so minutes.

Anyone else have that? Or, is it just me?
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    acardone wrote: »
    Did 40 minutes (5.5kms @ 7.3 minutes/km) on the elliptical.
    Can’t say I’ve ever loved the elliptical trainer, my toes go a bit numb after 20or so minutes.

Anyone else have that? Or, is it just me?

Some ellipticals have really unnatural strides and are too wide. If there are other models at your gym, try them. It's a common thing, especially if it's too wide. My wife is petite. She used to have that issue on one machine model but tried a few others at LA Fitness and found one that didn't do that to her.

It's also one of the reasons that I bought a LateralX. You move out to the side as well as just up and down on the pedals. It's a beast of a workout for an elliptical but the side to side motion keeps your feet from getting numb. Wouldn't recommend one for the price. I've had lots of mechanical issues and Bowflex doesn't seem to know how to completely fix them, so they discontinued them.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Easy shake out run today. Just 30 minutes to activate the run muscles and open up a few strides.

Race prep is underway this afternoon. I picked up my bike from the fitter at lunch. New chain, rear cassette, charged it and did a quick tune up so its ready for race day. My coach sent me suggested half iron power output numbers based on the "Best Bike Split" tool. Will spend tonight pouring over the athlete guide and gathering up the pile of stuff I need (fluid bottles, nutrition, body glide, sunglasses, race belt, wetsuit, swim googles, towel, etc, etc, etc.) Will leave tomorrow afternoon to pick up race packet early and join my tri club pals for dinner.

The key for me is to get a good night's sleep tonight, since I'm sure to toss and turn tomorrow night, while trying to fall asleep in the hotel room. Even though I'm an old fart who has done dozens of races, I still get butterflies before race day, lol.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,386 Member
    Ran 6.13km, at the fastest pace since 2017. I find it interesting that I'm 4 years older, probably pre-menopausal by now and can still get back to the old level. Just slightly gutted that I didn't run 300m more for getting a new 4 mile best for this year. Oh well, I was wasted from the heat and humidity.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    @Djproulx - best of luck in your race! Please let us know how it goes!

Did 55 minutes today easier cardio. All inside -- 30 on the LateralX and 25 on the Assault Bike. I just ordered my Evaporative "Swamp" Cooler from Home Depot. Gets here in around 8 or 9 days. Too lazy to pick it up from the store so had it delivered. It's portable. Only uses 4 cents an hour to run and can cool a garage down by 10 to 15 degrees or more. And I can roll it out to my patio in back when I'm not using it for my garage gym, even better than a split A/C unit and a fraction of the price!

Golf this evening. The cooling shirts/hat and towels I've bought will come in handy. It's going to be 109 tonight. Next week it's going to be 102/103 -- that will feel like a cold spell!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited June 2021
    @Djproulx - good luck!

I went climbing.
    It was a decent enough session. My endurance is coming back; this was 90 minutes and only ended due to the gym closing.

• KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Zwift Watopia 18km Easy ride as rest day from running. I'm really enjoying indoor cycling on Zwift, it is so easy to jump on and do.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited June 2021
    Very light or no weights:
    Landmine workout
    Bulgarian Split Squats
    Walking kettlebell lunges
    1hr on the treadmill at 2.5mph
    10 minutes cool down swim
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    Supersets in the garage @ 100 degrees for 30 minutes, then inside the A/C for 8 minutes X 3 w/ one rest on the Assault Bike. Roughly 900 calories on the hour. Brutal, but felt great about finishing it.

Avg Watts on the Assault Bike were 194, even including the two minutes of rest between the 3 sets. I have an AD Pro Assault Bike and it doesn't allow you to separate the work part of your Watts from the rest portion, which I don't like. So the 194 average was a nice surprise (it's pretty accurate, rated +/- within 1%).

HR reached around 92% of max by last set.

Starting to finally feel stronger. Felt I could go more than 8 sets on the supersets and my 52 lb Kettlebell is starting to feel light on the swings.
  • xblosh
    xblosh Posts: 146 Member
    Today is absolutely rest dayy!!!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I rode (a horse, not a bike) for an hour.

I always enjoy people who say 'you just sit there'.

...No.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    I rode (a horse, not a bike) for an hour.

I always enjoy people who say 'you just sit there'.

...No.

It's great exercise. I dated a girl in high school who didn't have a saddle that fit me, so I learned to ride bareback. Talk about a workout! And we'd go out for hours. I would barely be able to walk the next day!

My wife can't ride any longer but I miss riding horses. I'm not sure I'd hold up well any longer, though.