Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    To the topic of working "for" and company in one state, but "working from home" from another. I wonder what complicating factors there may be with the IRS.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    One of the few benefits to living in South Dakota is no state income tax.

I took my cat to the vet today. While chatting, she asked if I had got 'the shot'. It was a bit odd, but then I realized she probably doesn't see many people wearing a mask.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Breaking news: AZ vaccine in Australia will only be for over 60's
    Pfizer for all under 60's
    Changed from 50 as of today.

I presume those under 60 who have already had one dose of AZ still get their 2nd dose though

We (Canada) are giving those who received AZ the option of taking Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose. Everyone I know who got first dose AZ chose to get an mRNA second shot. I guess vaccine science in general supports mixing doses, and the preliminary data on this specific combination is good.

(But we aren't using AZ for first doses for anyone anymore - there was a small cohort of about I believe a million people who received it.)

Also now that we are getting a boatload of Moderna vaccine I suspect that they will start mixing that with those who got Pfizer for the first dose. Because our strategy was to give everyone we could a first dose, we now are getting a bunch of Moderna in time for second shots - but hardly anyone got it for their first.

Everyone I know who went to the public health unit vaccine clinic got Pfizer except me, I got Moderna. The SO got his two days after me (same week) and got Pfizer.

When Ford announced the accelerated second shots in Ontario, in our district we were looking at shortages of Moderna so I thought they might mix mine. So it's interesting to hear now that there's a big influx of Moderna.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

I presume those under 60 who have already had one dose of AZ still get their 2nd dose though

Yes I wonder what is going to happen now in Australia. Husband and I got our first AZ a few weeks ago. Not dead yet from a clot so guess going ok and always wanted Pfizzer shot. I still feel better we had something rather than nothing at all. Our government is crap with this roll out. Ashamed actually.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    To the topic of working "for" and company in one state, but "working from home" from another. I wonder what complicating factors there may be with the IRS.

It doesn't matter to the IRS for your federal income tax as long as you're not working outside the country.

But for your state taxes, you end up having to file both in the state that you live in and the state where your company is located. You won't be double-taxed on the income, but you still have to file in both.

For a while, my husband, who is a freelance contractor, did jobs for different companies around the country. We filed state income taxes in 10 states that year, including our home state. Thank God for our accountant!

Ouch!

I live in MA and got paid by a company in FL, but because there is no state income tax in FL, I only had to file state taxes for MA.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »

Yes I wonder what is going to happen now in Australia. Husband and I got our first AZ a few weeks ago. Not dead yet from a clot so guess going ok and always wanted Pfizzer shot. I still feel better we had something rather than nothing at all. Our government is crap with this roll out. Ashamed actually.

I have read up further on this since my last post.

People under 60 who have started on AZ and had no problem, still to have second AZ shot (so that will be me )

Australia is not encouraging mixing of brands and supplies of Pfizer are still limited - and going to be more limited now
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited June 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It doesn't matter to the IRS for your federal income tax as long as you're not working outside the country.

But for your state taxes, you end up having to file both in the state that you live in and the state where your company is located. You won't be double-taxed on the income, but you still have to file in both.

For a while, my husband, who is a freelance contractor, did jobs for different companies around the country. We filed state income taxes in 10 states that year, including our home state. Thank God for our accountant!

Ouch!

I live in MA and got paid by a company in FL, but because there is no state income tax in FL, I only had to file state taxes for MA.

My husband works for a company based in Kansas City (home office), and we live in NC. A large percentage of their employees work all over the country. We only pay NC state tax. I think it depends on how things are set up.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

We (Canada) are giving those who received AZ the option of taking Pfizer or Moderna for their second dose. Everyone I know who got first dose AZ chose to get an mRNA second shot. I guess vaccine science in general supports mixing doses, and the preliminary data on this specific combination is good.

(But we aren't using AZ for first doses for anyone anymore - there was a small cohort of about I believe a million people who received it.)

Also now that we are getting a boatload of Moderna vaccine I suspect that they will start mixing that with those who got Pfizer for the first dose. Because our strategy was to give everyone we could a first dose, we now are getting a bunch of Moderna in time for second shots - but hardly anyone got it for their first.

Everyone I know who went to the public health unit vaccine clinic got Pfizer except me, I got Moderna. The SO got his two days after me (same week) and got Pfizer.

When Ford announced the accelerated second shots in Ontario, in our district we were looking at shortages of Moderna so I thought they might mix mine. So it's interesting to hear now that there's a big influx of Moderna.

When my oldest son got his first (in Toronto) he got Pfizer but they said it just depends what they have that day, some days that same clinic were giving Moderna. We are supposed to be getting I think 7 million Moderna in June so you should be good for your second dose. But yeah since most people got Pfizer for their first dose if they don't mix it it seems like they will have too much Moderna? Idk - I guess that is what happens when they stopped holding the second doses and just used whatever they had for the first.
    I got both Pfizer but if they had given me Moderna for my second I honestly wouldn't have cared - I'm sure it would be fine. My neighbour asked my husband which vaccine he got and he didn't even know, he just took what they gave him, lol. Some people are picky though - my son insisted he would only take the Pfizer vaccine - idk why I think they are both basically the same.
    Did you have side effects from your first dose? I have the impression that Moderna has more side effects than Pfizer.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2021
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Wow, masking has dropped way off here. :/ The governor gave his permission that if you're fully vaccinated, you can go without a mask. I went to the grocery store this a.m. and besides myself, there was 1 other person I saw who was wearing a mask.
    I'm not sure I agree or am comfortable about it but what are ya gonna do? I'll just continue doing what I'm doing and see what this new guideline does to our numbers.

I am now fully vaccinated (13 days post second dose) and I am going to ditch the mask as soon as it is allowable wherever I am not required to wear it. Any store I have been in recently still has a sign up telling us to wear one, so of course I do.

Why are you ditching the mask so soon? I wouldn't be if I lived there. You are still at risk of catching it and it's just a mask. Keep as safe as you can if in crowded places with others close to you. Just my thoughts on it unless it makes you feel unwell when using it then why not stay as say as possible for a little longer? Not enough are vaccinated yet.

We have a very high vaccination rate here (75% first dose so far) and I am confident in the science that the vaccines will protect us. Even with only first doses our cases are plummeting here. My family has all been vaccinated (most first and getting second soon) as are all my work colleagues.

I trusted the science as it evolved with masking, vaccines, distancing etc - so when the science also tells me that vaccines are effective and masks are no longer necessary I trust that as well.

The problem is that the delta variant is very infectious and one dose of any vaccine only offers about 30% protection, according to my readings. The only way to have more protection is to have both vaccines.

Delta Variant and COVID-19 Vaccines: What to Know https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210610/delta-variant-and-covid-19-vaccines-what-to-know

A study conducted in the United Kingdom that was cited by the Biden administration finds that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine provided about 33% protection against the delta variant, which is officially designated B.1.617.2.

Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, meanwhile, provided about 88% protection. The study is a pre-print and has not yet been peer reviewed. (Click here to learn more about coronavirus variants.)

The info I read is that one does of Pfizer is 94% effective in preventing hospitalization with the Delta variant, and 96% after two doses. I have had two doses - I am as protected as I am going to be at this point. If I do happen to get exposed I am VERY unlikely to need hospitalization or medical care.

I think that the end point of hospitalization rates and deaths is a more important gauge for effectiveness at this point.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Morgan Stanley CEO to NYC workers: Be back in the office by September or else (https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/16/investing/morgan-stanley-ceo-return-to-office/index.html)
    "If you can go to a restaurant in New York City, you can come into the office. And we want you in the office," Gorman said.

It seems that not everybody is giving the workers a choice unless there are special circumstances for doing that. I am not going to comment on this subject because I am retired so my thoughts really don't count in the matter. I am just posting this information based on the comments written by many members.

[snip]

This has merit:

"If you want to get paid New York rates, you work in New York," Gorman said. "None of this 'I'm in Colorado...and getting paid like I'm sitting in New York City.' Sorry. That doesn't work."

After I moved back to Massachusetts, I could have made more money if I was willing to commute into Boston, but I wasn't, and I was fine with working remotely and getting paid South Florida rates.

When I commuted in FL, between getting ready for work and time spent in the car, I lost three hours per day, not to mention the expense of driving and maintaining a suitable wardrobe.

When working remotely, I stay in my pjs til lunch and then change into my exercise clothes.

I place a lot of value in that improvement in my quality of life.

If an employer can say they're going to pay you less based on where you live, they can just as easily say they're going to pay you less because of how many dependents you have or because you just inherited your parent's house or you just hit the lottery. Or because you're a woman so they assume you have a man who's actually paying the bills.

It's different if they're saying an employee who comes to the office is more valuable to them, whether it's because some aspects of the job can't be done at all or can't be done efficiently remotely, or because they believe employees who come to the office are more inculcated into the corporate culture, and they value that, or because they have found that remote workers are less available and responsive to sudden issues that need to be dealt with quickly.

My employer decided a few years ago to close our local office and have us work from home, saving them on office rent and getting us to provide them with free electricity and Internet access, free phone service, and, on days when I have to go into the city for work purposes, making me pay the "rent" on a table in a coffee shop before and/or after my work appointments, because they won't reimburse for "local meals" and even when traveling they won't reimburse for a cup of coffee ordered outside of a meal, and there's no time to do a home-to-downtown commute twice during working hours.

I would be pretty angry if they now decided they should be able to pay me less because of all the money I'm saving by not having to commute.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Some states have agreements to address this issue. I have lived most of my life in a different state from the places I worked (large metro area whose suburbs are in multiple states) and have never paid income taxes or filed in a state because I worked there but didn't live there.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member

I have read up further on this since my last post.

People under 60 who have started on AZ and had no problem, still to have second AZ shot (so that will be me )

Australia is not encouraging mixing of brands and supplies of Pfizer are still limited - and going to be more limited now

That is us also. I'm happy to have anything even with us not having any community Covid in our city so far. I love to travel so the quicker we sort this the better. At least I can fly to New Zealand and just went interstate but was half an hour from a Covid person! OMG.