Thin Guy Looking To Gain Muscle

Hello. I'm looking to add muscle to my thin frame and would like to ask for some advice.

I've been working out at home 3 times a week, for about 4.5 months now, to playlists I've made of youtube vids. A couple of weeks ago I added dumbbells to my routines (can feel a difference).

Have some food issues, so eating isn't as straightforward as some. I do eat very healthy (chicken, spinach, vegan protein shake) and I've increased my daily protein intake. Probably not where I should be on calories though.

I've gained maybe 6 pounds over the last 2 months or so.

I'm not looking to be cut or ripped, just defined a lot more than this flat frame I have now.

So, what can I learn to make this work better for me? I'm sure my lack of knowledge isn't getting me to where I could be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Blue1516
    Blue1516 Posts: 26 Member
    I should add to this that the TDEE calculator says my maintenance number is 2394. I'm probably around 1500/1800 currently.

Anyone else have digestive issues? I can't have dairy, I'm pretty sure nuts bother me... I basically eat very bland.

How do I go over 2394 to gain?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Blue1516 wrote: »
    Hello. I'm looking to add muscle to my thin frame and would like to ask for some advice.

I've been working out at home 3 times a week, for about 4.5 months now, to playlists I've made of youtube vids. A couple of weeks ago I added dumbbells to my routines (can feel a difference).

Have some food issues, so eating isn't as straightforward as some. I do eat very healthy (chicken, spinach, vegan protein shake) and I've increased my daily protein intake. Probably not where I should be on calories though.

I've gained maybe 6 pounds over the last 2 months or so.

I'm not looking to be cut or ripped, just defined a lot more than this flat frame I have now.

So, what can I learn to make this work better for me? I'm sure my lack of knowledge isn't getting me to where I could be. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    If your frame is flat, then what do you mean by defining? Lowering body fat % more would just show more of what you currently have. If you're looking to ADD MUSCLE, then you need to be in a calorie surplus which is the opposite of trying to "define" muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I should add to this that the TDEE calculator says my maintenance number is 2394. I'm probably around 1500/1800 currently.

Anyone else have digestive issues? I can't have dairy, I'm pretty sure nuts bother me... I basically eat very bland.

If you're maintenance is 2394 you need to be eating like 3000 calories to gain.
    Find more calorie dense foods to eat. Avocados, pasta, fatter cuts of meat, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Blue1516
    edited June 2021
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If your frame is flat, then what do you mean by defining? Lowering body fat % more would just show more of what you currently have. If you're looking to ADD MUSCLE, then you need to be in a calorie surplus which is the opposite of trying to "define" muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't have much. The muscles in my arms/chest are very small. The only weight I currently hold is some around my waist, small "muffin top" I guess you could say, and that's been increasing.

Checking my measurements from a couple of months ago right now, I see my shoulders are the same, bicep is about 25.5cm (which is down 1cm (how?!), chest is the same, waist is bigger, hips the same.... I'm 5' 10" and 144lbs.

I am looking to add muscle. What I'm currently doing doesn't seem to be working.

Find more calorie dense foods to eat. Avocados, pasta, fatter cuts of meat, etc.

So essentially I have to eat double the amount of food I'm eating right now. How does that work when my body tends to place my initial weight gain around my waist? I don't understand how I'm getting smaller in my arms, not changing elsewhere, yet bigger around my waist?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

This doesn't add up if you have gained 6lbs in two months. Those basic numbers would more likely result in losing 8lbs in that time frame not getting significantly heavier.
    How complete and accurate is your food logging?

To gain weight focus on your calorie balance (which your weight gain and your growing muffin top suggest you are already in a surplus) but to gain muscle you need to train effectively. Pick a proper routine or get professional advice rather than make it up yourself. Using dumbbells can be good but there's also loads of people getting nowhere because they don't know anything more than doing curls!

In the short term you aren't going to get more defined while gaining weight faster than you can build muscle, that needs to be a longer term goal.

Giving your stats, weight and age would give some context (you could be 70 and 5ft tall or 18 and 6ft tall.....).
  • Blue1516
    sijomial wrote: »

This doesn't add up if you have gained 6lbs in two months. Those basic numbers would more likely result in losing 8lbs in that time frame not getting significantly heavier.
    How complete and accurate is your food logging?

I'm baffled as well.

Since last October, I stopped driving my car and ride my bicycle everywhere. I average between 4 to 20 miles about every other day.

I don't log my food. I pretty much eat from the same small selection every day because of my digestive issues, I don't stray too often. I have two dinners that I switch between. I'm very used to repetition.

To gain weight focus on your calorie balance (which your weight gain and your growing muffin top suggest you are already in a surplus) but to gain muscle you need to train effectively. Pick a proper routine or get professional advice rather than make it up yourself. Using dumbbells can be good but there's also loads of people getting nowhere because they don't know anything more than doing curls!

In the short term you aren't going to get more defined while gaining weight faster than you can build muscle, that needs to be a longer term goal.

I don't know how I could be in a surplus? It's confusing to me.

I could show you the routine I'm doing?

Giving your stats, weight and age would give some context (you could be 70 and 5ft tall or 18 and 6ft tall.....).

I'm 45, 5'10" and 144lbs.
  • Blue1516
    edited June 2021

This made me want to recalculate my intake. So I measured meals today.

Morning protein shake, lunch, and dinner totaled 1,453. Fruit/berries and a snack throughout the day added about 400 more.

So today, a typical day, was about 1,853.

Maybe I'm burning under that? Is the google fit app pretty accurate for calories burned?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2021
    If you gain 6lbs over the last 2 months. I would continue consuming the same caloric intake. I hazard your calories are higher than you think but It doesn't matter one bit what you think you are eating if you are gaining at that rate. I surely wouldn't eat much more at this point.

Not knowing your training history I'm not comfortable giving advice other than if you have the opportunity to train in a gym, I would go that route instead of DBs. If not than you will need to educate yourself more how to program your own training or possibly find a cookie cutter program that is slightly more volume than you are performing currently. Also It would be easier with DBs if you used auto regulation to dose yourself.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    If you want to gain muscle you need to have a suitable training program. While random youtube videos may work for a spell they’re likely not going to give you the long term results you’re looking for.

So what’s a good program for long term success? Good question...
  • Blue1516
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    If you gain 6lbs over the last 2 months. I would continue consuming the same caloric intake. I hazard your calories are higher than you think but It doesn't matter one bit what you think you are eating if you are gaining at that rate. I surely wouldn't eat much more at this point.

Not knowing your training history I'm not comfortable giving advice other than if you have the opportunity to train in a gym, I would go that route instead of DBs. If not than you will need to educate yourself more how to program your own training or possibly find a cookie cutter program that is slightly more volume than you are performing currently. Also It would be easier with DBs if you used auto regulation to dose yourself.

Thanks. I have zero training history. Just started 4.5 months ago. I'd prefer to not go to the gym, honestly. I'm not looking to go to the higher end of the muscle spectrum, just something in the moderate area. I have next to nothing now, so anything is a step up.

I absolutely need to educate myself more. What resources do you suggest?

• Blue1516
    wiigelec wrote: »
    If you want to gain muscle you need to have a suitable training program. While random youtube videos may work for a spell they’re likely not going to give you the long term results you’re looking for.

What's a good program for long term success is a great question!! How do I find that answer...?
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member

What's a good program for long term success is a great question!! How do I find that answer...?

I’d start by looking at the “Most helpful posts” pinned post at the top of this forum then looking at the “Which program is best for me” post. It’s an extremely helpful resource with a few body weight and dumbbell routines.
  • Blue1516
    davew0000 wrote: »

I’d start by looking at the “Most helpful posts” pinned post at the top of this forum then looking at the “Which program is best for me” post. It’s an extremely helpful resource with a few body weight and dumbbell routines.

Thank you. I'll do that
  • Barrelquest
    Barrelquest Posts: 7 Member
    Pullups, Dips, Bench press,(push ups)- All of that! 3-4 sets to failure. (you don't need to join a gym for this) Everyday to every other day or a soreness subsides. This is not rocket science and you dont need a program, Just do a ton of those movements hard and to failure and EAT .....A lot- Breads, pasta, eggs, milk just about anything. You'll have to worry about getting cut later after you build the muscle. Note: a lot of cardio (your biking may offset"kill" your attempts to gain,.)
  • Barrelquest
    Barrelquest Posts: 7 Member
    let me add, Military press, curls. to that list. Also be careful, how much muscle you add. later when you look like Arnold you may realize you would rather not be so muscle bound because your ability to do sports, and flexibilty will suffer. :)
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    OP I’d read some stuff and self-educate.
    Even moderate gains are hard to come by if ur programming is poor. I’d read Eric helms muscle and strength training and nutrition pyramids. There is some good stuff in there for beginner and intermediate body builders and power lifters.
    If you want to go deeper then try Renaissance periodisation for material. Or stuff by Greg nuckols. Or layne Norton. Or barbell medicine.com.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1