60 yrs and up

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Agreed too! Tracking keeps me honest!
  • dianed24
    dianed24 Posts: 2 Member
    I am going to lose weight. I am heavier than I have been all my life. I have spent the last 5 or 6 years developing new eating habits. Now I just need to actually keep track of what I eat and keep track of calories and commit to being active on a daily basis. I don't need daily contact and reassurance. I need to be accountable to myself. I feel like just by typing this post and announcing myself to all of you is a commitment to join all of you and succeed at becoming healthier. Thank you all for being out there. Good Luck and Good Habits to All of You.
  • dianed24
    dianed24 Posts: 2 Member
    I need to grocery shop and keep good food choices in the house. I really love to cook with my smoker and can bake in it on a hot day. I drank lots of water and added cranberry juice and drank to much juice. I had an overgrown yard and it took me nearly 2 hours to knock down and mow the weeds. And it's a hot muggy day. I can do so much more physical activity when I am outside in the garden. I am going to focus on recognizing my healthy accomplishments and not on making promises for tomorrow. Today Matters.
  • Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    charsuzy wrote: »
    Hello, I prefer to live at a lighter weight than a too-heavy weight. I am enjoying it every day. I am still losing weight and exercising every day. I am an intermittent faster. :)

Hi charsuzy
    I wonder if you have any fasting advice, how often, how long g and what foods do you break your fast with
    I have done one 36 hour fast and felt less bloated afterwards. I am planning another this week
    Sue
  • Tuppence26
    dianed24 wrote: »
    I need to grocery shop and keep good food choices in the house. I really love to cook with my smoker and can bake in it on a hot day. I drank lots of water and added cranberry juice and drank to much juice. I had an overgrown yard and it took me nearly 2 hours to knock down and mow the weeds. And it's a hot muggy day. I can do so much more physical activity when I am outside in the garden. I am going to focus on recognizing my healthy accomplishments and not on making promises for tomorrow. Today Matters.

Sounds very sensible and obtainable . My latest saying is... Don't shouldn't yourself ( I shouldn't do this I shouldn't do that.. )
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2021
    Hi @Tuppence26

I have been fasting for almost 2 years, starting with fasting for 16 hours and then 8 hours as my "eating window"; 16:8. I quit losing weight with that after almost a year I guess so started increasing my fasting times to 18 hours, 19 hours, 20 hours, up to 41 hours with one meal of less than 500 calories. I've done a few 32 - 36 hour fasts but I must have the one meal of less than 500 calories.
    Now I fast 20 hours a day, usually with no snacks; black coffee, green tea, water (no sweeteners). I'm doing pretty good and lost a few more pounds after stalling out.
    I joined a few Facebook group's, one of which does alternate day fasting for longer fasts only (36 - 42 hours). I have learned more there than at MFP because this kind of fasting will get you a warning on MFP because that's what happened to me. MFP believes in calorie counting but Jason Fung on YouTube who is an M.D. says calorie counting doesn't work. Incoming calories are burned differently. MFP doesn't seem to have active intermittent fasting groups. They peter out quickly.
    I'm going on and on here, sorry... my advice is when you hit a wall where you want to lose more weight but your fasting is not working, explore and learn other types of fasting. Then switch up your fasting "style" or type. Don't let your body get used to the fasting regime you do because your body gets used to fasting and also the exercise you do, so you have to switch it up.
    Breaking a fast with smaller meals has been recommended, and proteins that are easy to digest are recommended such as eggs. I often cook a piece of salmon to break a fast with. In the case of shorter fasts such as 16:8 I don't think breaking with a smaller meal, waiting for up to an hour before you eat your main meal, is necessary. That's more for longer fasts.
    Some people can do a longer fast, such as 36 hours, without any small meal during that time, I have not been able to do this but it's great if you can!
    I do intermittent fasting every day - at least 18 hours. And I exercise regularly - lately I've been walking for about an hour every day. I also use a mini-trampoline, hand weights and Giselle glider.

In case you're interested, here are two FB groups I belong to where I've learned a lot:
    ADF the Delay Don't Deny Way (this has a group doing longer fasting)
    Delay, Don't Deny: Senior Ladies 55+ Intermittent Fasting
    If you or anyone wants to connect with me here on MFP please do! I'd love to connect with more intermittent fasters!
  • ALCbyadees
    ALCbyadees Posts: 1 Member
    Just turned 73. Totally retired and doing a lot of reflecting back. Lot's of should-da, would-da, and could-da. There is no going back, no re-do, resets. or do-overs. The guilt would have us give-up and stay in the same place. Discipline and character are an example to our children, grandchildren, and some people we don't know. Stay the course.
  • trekkie123
    Yay Rich!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,294 Member
    Hello everyone, I've been away from this group for a while but I really missed yall & am back. I've maintained my 17lb weight gain for a year now since mfp gave me 1200/cal/day in order to lose 1lb/wk, which i couldn't live on & am barely getting back to exercising after some physical issues & also issues with my dog who couldn't walk our 4-5 miles anymore. I haven't gotten back to working out as I used to but am doing some. I went back to the gym about 2 weeks ago & mostly worked out in the pool but added a couple machines. My Rt knee area has been hurting so I'm not going to use it till it heals all the way, so abs & upper body is what I've been doing. I want to go today but it's 109 degrees outside & when I open the door I just want to stay inside so will do some weights I have at home. I've been having a hard time keeping away from snacks in the evening for a while now but got some motavation back so been doing well this week. I also gave up creamer in my coffee & discovered how delicious coffee is with protein powder whipped into it. I have one a day. I'm sorry I sound so boring, nothing too exciting has been happening but I'm not complaining. Hope everyone has a good Father's day. WE have 4 wonderful children, 2 in town & 2 out of state. Last week we celebrated husband's birthday so we're not getting together with our sons this weekend but it's fine. Food wise it's great eating over our youngest sons house because he loves to use his smoker & him & wife are healthy eaters & workout. He built a gym in his backyard for all their equipment so we never have to be concerned about indulging in greasy high calorie food with we eat over there.
  • Tuppence26
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new people: I'm not even going to *try* to tag everyone, there are so many lately (and I'd surely get it wrong some way), but hello and welcome to all!

@alteredsteve175, I'm glad to hear your wife will able to be home: The hospital tends to be not a very restful place, so I hope it will be good for her, continue the good trend she's been on, and that it will go well for you as caregiver, too.

And lest I forget: I hope all of you fathers in the group had a wonderful Fathers Day!

Mainly, I'm just checking in to say "hi". My six-year MFP anniversary will be coming up next month (!), so I'm still hanging around in weight-maintenance mode. I'm trying to put a halt to the ultra-slow loss (pound a month kind of rate) that I'd been chipping away at for many months previously, but I'm not sure the brakes are fully on at this point. When loss is that slow, it's hard to tell whether it's stopped, or still going.

We've had several instances of prohibitive weather (i.e. storms) on my scheduled rowing mornings lately, and I haven't done much in the way of make-up sessions. Periodically, I go through these failures of adulting, where I grumpily laze about for a while, but eventually the grumpy part gets too onerous and I get back to being active again, which then makes me feel better. I've been pretty active for years now, even while obese, so I recognize this pattern and don't worry too much about it, knowing it will resolve itself eventually.

I've still been helping with the learn-to-row class, but that's not a workout, just some boat carrying and sometimes a tiny bit of rowing for me, but not much. Usually Sunday is my rest day, but today it was nice weather (just too hot, almost 90 & humid, but clear), so I took a little easy-pace bike ride on the nearby trails, little over 16 miles. Now I'm working on talking myself into strength training, so maybe I'm turning a corner out of languishing mode already, dunno. 😆

The planned eye surgery (pars plana vitrectomy) I mentioned a few pages back is now rescheduled for August; I start PT tomorrow for pelvic floor issues (to say more would be TMI, I fear), which I guess is stuff going on, but not very fun stuff. 🤷‍♀️

Hoping for better outdoor exercise weather this coming week, so I can get back to my M-W-F-Sa AM rowing. That always makes me happy.

Wishing everyone a great week!

Oh, just in case anyone would like to see something like this, here are a couple of "what's blooming in my garden now" photos: One is a yellow double Datura, with big flowers (about 6" base to tip, 3" or so wide), grows as an annual here in the North, so it's in a big pot. The other is a woodland part-shade plant, hardy here so out in the garden, called Spigelia marilandica, or Indian Pink (yes, I know it's red, very red . . . I didn't name it, I'm just reporting 😉). It's much smaller, each bloom maybe an inch and a half long or so?
    m8iv8l9zq19h.jpg
    z60bzj3uoxu0.jpg

• Tuppence26
    Gorgeous flowers
  • lolitacarolharper
    lolitacarolharper Posts: 1 Member
    OGMlcs - 69yrs
    Hi, I'm new and glad to join in the group! I feel it will be very helpful and motivational. I want to be a very healthy Great Grandmother and with the help and grace of GOD be around for my 3 great-grandsons (Twins- 5years and an 8 year old)! And for them I need to be fit and healthy> LOL!
  • michaelhardie13
    michaelhardie13 Posts: 17 Member
    Welcome!
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Checking in. No good news for my wife on the medical front. I hoped that moving her home would improve her mood and general outlook. She seems depressed most of the time. She doesn't want to do the physical therapy that she needs to do. Heavily medicated and therefore incoherent much of the time. Another meeting with the physicians assistant tomorrow. Fingers crossed for some upbeat news there.

Holding the line weight wise, but exercise and food intake are hit and miss. Just trying to keep my attitude positive. Thanks for the chance to vent a little. I think I am going to schedule some sessions with a counselor. I need to relieve some of this stress.

Good idea to see a counselor, Steve. Someone you can unload onto should help tremendously. Being a caregiver to someone who has not adjusted to their situation can be so stressful. You want to help all you can, but also keep your own sanity. I'm glad she's home, and hope things can improve for both of you. Hugs.

• trekkie123
    Checking in. No good news for my wife on the medical front. I hoped that moving her home would improve her mood and general outlook. She seems depressed most of the time. She doesn't want to do the physical therapy that she needs to do. Heavily medicated and therefore incoherent much of the time. Another meeting with the physicians assistant tomorrow. Fingers crossed for some upbeat news there.

Holding the line weight wise, but exercise and food intake are hit and miss. Just trying to keep my attitude positive. Thanks for the chance to vent a little. I think I am going to schedule some sessions with a counselor. I need to relieve some of this stress.

Good idea Steve! Prayers for both you and your wife 🙏🏻
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,491 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »

Good idea Steve! Prayers for both you and your wife 🙏🏻

Yes, prayers to you and your wife.