Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://news.yahoo.com/no-new-lockdowns-biden-promises-201834771.html

This is from the Commander of all USA agencies. If you read the article you will see it was not an emphatic no.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    It seems to be a new kid in the block, so don't throw away your masks yet or get too comfy...

Delta variant will likely become dominant Covid-19 strain in US, CDC chief says

"The Delta variant of Covid-19 is expected to become the dominant strain in the United States, and it's further reason why people need to ramp up the vaccination pace, said the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    In an interview with CNN on Friday, Dr. Rochelle Walensky said that the Delta variant's increased transmissibility could allow it overtake the Alpha variant, first identified in the United Kingdom, in the US in the coming months...."

For the full article, click here: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/18/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mockchoc wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Wow, masking has dropped way off here. :/ The governor gave his permission that if you're fully vaccinated, you can go without a mask. I went to the grocery store this a.m. and besides myself, there was 1 other person I saw who was wearing a mask.
    I'm not sure I agree or am comfortable about it but what are ya gonna do? I'll just continue doing what I'm doing and see what this new guideline does to our numbers.

I am now fully vaccinated (13 days post second dose) and I am going to ditch the mask as soon as it is allowable wherever I am not required to wear it. Any store I have been in recently still has a sign up telling us to wear one, so of course I do.

Why are you ditching the mask so soon? I wouldn't be if I lived there. You are still at risk of catching it and it's just a mask. Keep as safe as you can if in crowded places with others close to you. Just my thoughts on it unless it makes you feel unwell when using it then why not stay as say as possible for a little longer? Not enough are vaccinated yet.

We have a very high vaccination rate here (75% first dose so far) and I am confident in the science that the vaccines will protect us. Even with only first doses our cases are plummeting here. My family has all been vaccinated (most first and getting second soon) as are all my work colleagues.

I trusted the science as it evolved with masking, vaccines, distancing etc - so when the science also tells me that vaccines are effective and masks are no longer necessary I trust that as well.

That is fine but I would'nt trust it too much but you do as you wish of course. If I lived there I wouldn't trust it all and keep cautious for a while longer. Take care. Do what you feel you need to do. I can't see being cautious a bad thing.

You can still take precautions without wearing a mask everywhere. If you're fully vaccinated, you're pretty well protected...far more protected than the mask ever provided in the first place. In NM pretty much nobody is wearing a mask anymore and we were pretty early adopters of the mask mandates. I'm really not sure why we would trust in the science as it evolved with masks and social distancing, etc and then all of a sudden not trust the science when our CDC tells us we don't have to wear a mask if we're fully vaccinated. You either trust the science or you don't.

Like I said, nobody really wears a mask here anymore...but people continue to social distance, wash hands, etc. NM is about 75% with at least one vaccine and 60% fully vaccinated. We are as of right now lifting all restrictions and fully opening July 1 unless something changes between now and a week and a half from now. Between the vaccine and cases, we're pretty much at herd immunity in NM. It's never going to go away completely and it's time to get on with living life.

Fair enough. I maybe don't get it since we didn't need to do the mask etc for more than two weeks. Anyway everyone should do what they feel safe with I guess.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I've now been to a number of stores since my state of Massachusetts dropped the mask requirement. People at supermarkets and Walmart appear to be 50% or less masked.

However, at Whole Foods last Tuesday there was a much higher mask usage, and I am very curious about this. I wonder if the patrons are just more cautious, or if they are not vaccinated because they are anti-vax/vax hesitant.

Vaccines have been widely available to adults in my state for long enough that anyone who wanted a shot could get a shot, and the people in this store, which is not in a foot-traffic location, are exceedingly unlikely to have barriers such as lack of transportation.

I'll never know for sure, of course, but I suspect it is a combination of some people being more cautious and some being hesitant/anti-vax.
  • GaleHawkins
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Well, with the vaccine now widely available where I live, and California now "open," I'm cool with people masking or not to their own prerogative. It would be nice if the unvaxxed would stay masked but since theres no way to know, people gonna do what they want. I'm still seeing quite a few masked - I'd say a third to half.

I'm now unmasked in less crowded spaces, but still not rushing to crowded venues or theaters any time soon. Still eating on patios. That's my choice. I'll mingle when I'm ready. ✌

In my area mask usage at the grocery store that I frequent is around 75% still.

At my workplace, they stated vaccinated individuals could not longer wear a mask weeks ago, and the couple of times I've worked from the office since then I'd say mask usage was under 25%. Mask wearing seems to be about a 50/50 mix of those who haven't been vaccinated versus those who have and a still choosing to wear.

I have been eating out once or twice a week now since being fully vaccinated. We still prefer to eat outdoors and the weather has been nice so we'd prefer that even without. Where we have eaten indoors, it's been spaced enough that we've been comfortable. Even during the pandemic, we did eat out at times including indoors where permitted. We chose places that were not busy and wore a mask except when eating.

Outdoors, mask usage is basically non-existent now. I've been starting to go back to some of the busier, narrow trails and beach paths that I've avoided for the most part during the pandemic.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Wow, masking has dropped way off here. :/ The governor gave his permission that if you're fully vaccinated, you can go without a mask. I went to the grocery store this a.m. and besides myself, there was 1 other person I saw who was wearing a mask.
    I'm not sure I agree or am comfortable about it but what are ya gonna do? I'll just continue doing what I'm doing and see what this new guideline does to our numbers.

I am now fully vaccinated (13 days post second dose) and I am going to ditch the mask as soon as it is allowable wherever I am not required to wear it. Any store I have been in recently still has a sign up telling us to wear one, so of course I do.

Why are you ditching the mask so soon? I wouldn't be if I lived there. You are still at risk of catching it and it's just a mask. Keep as safe as you can if in crowded places with others close to you. Just my thoughts on it unless it makes you feel unwell when using it then why not stay as say as possible for a little longer? Not enough are vaccinated yet.

We have a very high vaccination rate here (75% first dose so far) and I am confident in the science that the vaccines will protect us. Even with only first doses our cases are plummeting here. My family has all been vaccinated (most first and getting second soon) as are all my work colleagues.

I trusted the science as it evolved with masking, vaccines, distancing etc - so when the science also tells me that vaccines are effective and masks are no longer necessary I trust that as well.

The problem is that the delta variant is very infectious and one dose of any vaccine only offers about 30% protection, according to my readings. The only way to have more protection is to have both vaccines.

Delta Variant and COVID-19 Vaccines: What to Know https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210610/delta-variant-and-covid-19-vaccines-what-to-know

A study conducted in the United Kingdom that was cited by the Biden administration finds that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine provided about 33% protection against the delta variant, which is officially designated B.1.617.2.

Two doses of the Pfizer vaccine, meanwhile, provided about 88% protection. The study is a pre-print and has not yet been peer reviewed. (Click here to learn more about coronavirus variants.)

The info I read is that one does of Pfizer is 94% effective in preventing hospitalization with the Delta variant, and 96% after two doses. I have had two doses - I am as protected as I am going to be at this point. If I do happen to get exposed I am VERY unlikely to need hospitalization or medical care.

I think that the end point of hospitalization rates and deaths is a more important gauge for effectiveness at this point.

I prefer NOT to get exposed. I trust science, I just have a problem these days trusting people... I am fully vaccinated since the end of February, but I don't know if people around me are fully vaccinated too or just faking it so they don't have to wear masks.

Better safe than sorry, and being careful doesn't affect anybody, so what's the problem?

I don't really think anyone has a problem with/if people want to continue to mask. People do seem to have some kind of a problem with people who no longer want to mask because they are fully vaccinated and the CDC says you don't have to. I'm far more protected with the vaccine than I ever was with the mask and at this point I don't really see any point in wearing one unless it's required somewhere or requested of me...in which case I have no problem either. I have no problem at all with people wanting to continue wearing a mask...it's their own personal decision. Hell, I know people who wore masks in public long before COVID.

There have already been several comments in here about "why would you take your mask off so soon" and such...as if those of us who no longer are wearing one because we're fully vaccinated are doing something egregious or totally outrageous.

I'm sure there's an element here of each of us noticing what we may be more sensitive to, but I *have* seen people having a problem with others continuing to mask.

I can't recall whether it's happened on this thread (quite possibly not), but in real life I've heard/seen people challenging others with "If you believed the CDC when they said a mask would protect you, why don't you believe them now when they say you don't need one if vaccinated? I thought you believed the science." That's been in something pretty close to those words, and the context made it feel a little pushy/pugnacious.

I think it varies quite a bit by location. Here, now, it seems pretty live and let live outside, with most stores I've been to still requiring them and people complying. But I've not noticed anyone here giving people a hard time for wearing masks outside, whereas at one point it was not unheard of for people to make comments about not wearing one outside. (And there were endless NextDoor threads about this.) Right around the time the CDC finally acknowledged they weren't needed outside unless in a big group where social distancing wasn't possible, people seemed to mostly collectively decide not to wear them outside. Of course if I'm just walking a short distance between places where they are required, I'll leave it on.

I personally don't care if people mask or not indoors at this point, except I am irritated by anyone who violates posted rules.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    I am in Australia and the only location in my state right now that a mask is required is inside an airport (and on the aircraft) when the airport is open to the general public, but excludes parts of the airport when the general public is not allowed. I wear my mask from the staff carpark into the reception area of the office, but once I go through the office door I remove the mask. While in the non public office space we still have some strict requirements - max number of people as per the density requirements, wipe down communal spaces eg meeting rooms and lunch room after use, hand sanitising on entry / exit, stay home (and get tested) if cold or flu (and anything else that has similar symptoms to covid) until no symptoms and negative result etc.

I am fully vaccinated and it's been many many many months since an active case in my state, but when I am out and about I still make sure I distance where I can, sanitise my hands as often as possible, sanitise my shopping trolley etc, use the check-in codes when mandatory and even when optional. If someone gets in my space, I move myself back or move away.

I would prefer the ad hoc strict quarantine rules didn't apply and prefer the NSW model for lockdowns/quarantine but am not anti mask or anti vaccine and do follow all covid requirements because it isn't about me and I respect everyone's right to be safe and feel safe.

I am looking forward to a short trip to Melbourne in September and another trip to Darwin in October...assuming there are no lockdowns / quarantine requirements...but if there are...I will take the trips another time...it is what it is.

• GaleHawkins
    Based on local and international news a new Covid-19 wave may be forming.

The 4th of July holiday may be additive to the Memorial Day Holiday activities as more and more burn their masks to celebrate vaccines ending the Covid-19 era.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I am in Australia and the only location in my state right now that a mask is required is inside an airport (and on the aircraft) when the airport is open to the general public, but excludes parts of the airport when the general public is not allowed. I wear my mask from the staff carpark into the reception area of the office, but once I go through the office door I remove the mask. While in the non public office space we still have some strict requirements - max number of people as per the density requirements, wipe down communal spaces eg meeting rooms and lunch room after use, hand sanitising on entry / exit, stay home (and get tested) if cold or flu (and anything else that has similar symptoms to covid) until no symptoms and negative result etc.

I am fully vaccinated and it's been many many many months since an active case in my state, but when I am out and about I still make sure I distance where I can, sanitise my hands as often as possible, sanitise my shopping trolley etc, use the check-in codes when mandatory and even when optional. If someone gets in my space, I move myself back or move away.

I would prefer the ad hoc strict quarantine rules didn't apply and prefer the NSW model for lockdowns/quarantine but am not anti mask or anti vaccine and do follow all covid requirements because it isn't about me and I respect everyone's right to be safe and feel safe.

I am looking forward to a short trip to Melbourne in September and another trip to Darwin in October...assuming there are no lockdowns / quarantine requirements...but if there are...I will take the trips another time...it is what it is.

We just flew into Brisbane airport last week and today there it says one of the shops is an exposure site. Just missed it by a few days!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    what state are you in tiptoe?

I am in SA and as far as I know there is no mask wearing requirements here outside of quarantine hotels.

But there may be in airports, aircraft etc, I dont know - I havent been to one of them since before Covid

Mask wearing in aged care homes and medical facilities ended on Dec 23rd last year - that I do know, since I work in one.
    Dr's still wear one if seeing a patient with cold/flu symptoms (in their car in the car park, such patients are not allowed into the surgery) and the occasional patient wears one by choice