Cheese

NotEveryoneIsHome
NotEveryoneIsHome Posts: 175 Member
edited June 2021 in Food and Nutrition
So.. this is parmesan cheese.. that grew some mold. Does is now qualify as blue cheese? Still eat it?

eb4b19lgga62.jpg

4qp2ykyqobfu.jpg

Replies

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Throw it out!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    So.. this is parmesan cheese.. that grew some mold. Does is now qualify as blue cheese? Still eat it?

No and NO! Are you trying to get yourself severe food poisoning?
    That is not the same kind of mold used on blue cheese.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    I'm REALLY hoping this is a joke thread. :)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Sometimes if there's just a small spot or two of mold, I will cut it off and feel fine to eat the rest of the cheese. But for that? Yeah, it's getting pitched.

Oh yikes, just saw it's grated, too, not block. Please throw it out!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    No don't!
    and please buy proper parmigiano reggiano and not this stuff. It ripens for at least 20 months.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Parmigiano Reggiano is the king of cheeses. It comes from Parma in Italy and is a national treasure. A little goes a long way. I buy it on sale at 16 € a kilo (2.2 lbs). Sometimes a little mold starts growing on it and I cut it out. Just fine.

To buy it in the States, I'd check out internet. Buy the original--you'll be glad you did.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited June 2021
    Boar's Head imports their parm from Italy, it's legit.
    Don't worry about the cheese snobs, OP, eat what you like.
    If you want it to last longer, Boar's Head sells blocks of imported Parmagiano Reggiano that you can grate yourself as you need it.
    Most large grocery stores sell these small blocks in their specialty cheese sections.