WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    Oopsy!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2021
    Barbara—I had great success with zucchini. (too much success). It liked soft, warmed soil, & lots of water. It grew like crazy in warm summer conditions. Looking at your photos, it appears that blossoms higher up are healthier than those close to the soil. I'd check to see if drainage is good. I also wonder if the soil is warm enough to make them happy. Do you see bees in your garden area? I haven't seen any so far this year.

Katla
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Another warm day here today. Got up early this morning and did some yard work while it was cooler. Went to YM but when I got there the pool was closed. Did a few easy exercises in the hot tub and then left.

Yesterday I was able to get the room air conditioner my son gave me going. It really helped with sleep last night. I don't sleep well when it is hot.

DD arrived safely in Iceland. They toured a waterfall, geyser and did some hiking. They are doing the Ring Road counter clockwise.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    edited June 2021
    Looking at your photos, it appears that the blossoms higher up are healthier than those closer to the soil that seem to have blossom rot. I’d check to see if drainage is good. I also wonder if soil is warm enough to keep the roots happy. Good luck.

I seem to be stuck with a double post. I apologize.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    It was a good day today - am feeling well for the first time in longer than I can remember. Fingers and toes crossed that it is a beginning of a trend.

Went to the quilting circle (square, really) and sat and talked to the ladies for hours. Helped pin a new quilt onto the big frame to begin the hand quilting, and then sat and crocheted and talked to them--four or five women each at one of two different quilts. Another woman was knitting, and she and I talked a lot, we had much in common. The company of women is something I have sorely missed. Not sure I knew how much!

Much like this group, it's older women, many are widows. The youngest is 59, and the older ones are mid-eighties, so there is quite a range. No drama, just sharing joys and griefs and headshaking over children and sharing pictures of the grandchildren.

At some point, I'll nerve myself up to try hand quilting, but it will be a bit yet. While I can do it, I'm not terribly good at the picky stuff, and I'll have to learn again how to start and how to end a piece of thread. It's been decades since I tried.

Anyway, as Tuesday evening is coming down here, I'm thinking of all of you. I hope it has been a good day, and that Wednesday is even better.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    it was a fabulous weather day here! Took two walks today, one by myself and one with DH and Bumble. 16880 steps 6.9 miles clocked for today. Feels good to be able to do that again.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    Oooooo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Lisa - I’m happy to read you felt better today.

Allie- hope you hear from your brother soon.

Tracey
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did a body pump DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Tracie Long Longevity Back Up DVD. Raining today so no walk. Well, it’s stopped raining so maybe after I get back from counting at the church. Update: took Lexi to the vet and then took a walk. Took another one after dinner. Supposed to be nice tomorrow so I'll probably be able to get in a few walks.

I must say, Jess talked to the vet while we were there. I was impressed. She spoke to him like a colleague

Went to ceramics last night and picked up Doc. Now I’m working on the last dwarf (yea), Dopey. I’m thinking that when we go tomorrow night I’ll bring Snow White with me.

Dandl – I remember when I was helping Jess train the service dog. It was very interesting some of the things I needed to do. For example, we had to play “tug of war”. Makes sense. Sometimes they have to pull things like a laundry basket.

Barbara – give SuziQ my best. Miss her

Evelyn – I usually lose when I don’t eat at night. Only many times that’s hard for me. The Wii did say to have things like applesauce or crackers. I don’t seem to gain if I just stick to having those.

The Mrs.H – welcome!

Michele NC

vuahzyn3mvoo.jpg
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,388 Member
    Allie, praying that your brother is ok!🙏🙏🙏
    Rebecca
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, Post Office, Library, line dancing,
    Bonus: hike to lookout bench then coffee/chat with T and R, vacuumed LRm, MBD, K, L, Gbth, mopped Gbth. another load of laundry.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, keep cleaning focus, Grand Jury, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: finish and email draft minutes, drop off cookies, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Joyful June:
    21-Send a positive note to a friend who needs encouragement-Rd’A.
    22-Watch something funny and enjoy how it feels to laugh:

Lovely little hike out to Whaleshead viewpoint with R and T. We each brought our caffeine of choice and shared cherries, blue berries, home made vegan cookies and laughs. Lots of pelicans. Then home to cleaning frenzy, collapse after lunch, dragged out to line dancing, pooped out half hour early. Grand Jury tomorrow so will be hard to squeeze in steps or more cleaning.

Congrats, Kate, on the pants. Sorry about the flareup.
    Evelyn hooray for taking off the 1.2 lbs. Well done!
    Rebecca ((hugs)) those kinds of dreams can be so powerful.
    Katla hope the new Dr. is sympatico.
    Debbie wow that’s a lot of planting. Hope some of her neighbors and friends plan to help her maintain all that corn, beans and okra.
    Welcome @TheMrsHMorgan! Would you let us know what you'd like to be called and your general locale?
    Katla thanks, the potting soil in the pot has good drainage and is as warm as it can be in a sheltered corner with plastic walls but no roof. It started life in Pastor’s wife’s green house and its much warmer where they live up on the mountain. Fingers X’d. Yes we do have fuzzy, cute bumble bees. I hear them buzzing often and see them crawling on the evergreen huckleberry plants. Might have to move the zucchini out of the plastic walls to get the big flowers pollinated, but then the soil will be in a cooler place…
    Lisa sounds like a lovely crafting visit. The company of women. Yes.
    Allie prayers offered. Please keep us posted.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: leaner/stronger/kinder than May.
    daily: sit with Joe: 22, weigh/wii: 22/0/0; steps>6362=6995 vits=19.5, log=22, CI<CO=21, CI<250<CO=16, Tumble=13, Shadow=15 mfp=21, outside=22, up hill=17, clean 10=25.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=4. Wed:TC=3 PW=2. Thurs:PW=1, watched part of principles of pilates. Fri:TC=3. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/6:141.8 6/12:142.4 6/20:140.2 6/27: 6/30:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=2, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=13 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Katla49
    Allie✨ Add my prayers to those for your brother. ❤️⭐️❤️💫
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    edited June 2021
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, Post Office, Library, line dancing,
    Bonus: hike to lookout bench then coffee/chat with T and R, vacuumed LRm, MBD, K, L, Gbth, mopped Gbth. another load of laundry.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, keep cleaning focus, Grand Jury, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: finish and email draft minutes, drop off cookies, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Joyful June:
    21-Send a positive note to a friend who needs encouragement-Rd’A.
    22-Watch something funny and enjoy how it feels to laugh:

Lovely little hike out to Whaleshead viewpoint with R and T. We each brought our caffeine of choice and shared cherries, blue berries, home made vegan cookies and laughs. Lots of pelicans. Then home to cleaning frenzy, collapse after lunch, dragged out to line dancing, pooped out half hour early. Grand Jury tomorrow so will be hard to squeeze in steps or more cleaning.

Congrats, Kate, on the pants. Sorry about the flareup.
    Evelyn hooray for taking off the 1.2 lbs. Well done!
    Rebecca ((hugs)) those kinds of dreams can be so powerful.
    Katla hope the new Dr. is sympatico.
    Debbie wow that’s a lot of planting. Hope some of her neighbors and friends plan to help her maintain all that corn, beans and okra.
    Welcome @TheMrsHMorgan! Would you let us know what you'd like to be called and your general locale?
    Katla thanks, the potting soil in the pot has good drainage and is as warm as it can be in a sheltered corner with plastic walls but no roof. It started life in Pastor’s wife’s green house and its much warmer where they live up on the mountain. Fingers X’d. Yes we do have fuzzy, cute bumble bees. I hear them buzzing often and see them crawling on the evergreen huckleberry plants. Might have to move the zucchini out of the plastic walls to get the big flowers pollinated, but then the soil will be in a cooler place…
    Lisa sounds like a lovely crafting visit. The company of women. Yes.
    Allie prayers offered. Please keep us posted.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: leaner/stronger/kinder than May.
    daily: sit with Joe: 22, weigh/wii: 22/0/0; steps>6362=6995 vits=19.5, log=22, CI<CO=21, CI<250<CO=16, Tumble=13, Shadow=15 mfp=21, outside=22, up hill=17, clean 10=25.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=4. Wed:TC=3 PW=2. Thurs:PW=1, watched part of principles of pilates. Fri:TC=3. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=3.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/6:141.8 6/12:142.4 6/20:140.2 6/27: 6/30:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=2, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=13 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

this is what needs to be planted
    pstb5u4idurl.png
    The plants that still need to go in are tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, kolarabi, plus more corn, okra and the popcorn

The area I planted is to the right of this picture- it is 1/2 acre. We are not planting the back garden this year.
    I think this is still way too much but she wants to share.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I see Barbara (auntibk) has started working her way through Joyful June 2021.

June 2021: Daily actions to help you appreciate the little things and find more joy.
    "This month's theme is all about finding the joy in life, even when things are difficult. Research has shown that experiencing positive emotions in a 3-to-1 ratio with negative ones leads to a tipping point beyond which we naturally become more resilient to adversity. So let's train our brains to find the joy."
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/joyful-june

58nqmm1d198a.png

Machka in Oz

Wednesday - Create a playlist of uplifting songs to listen to.

As it happens, I'm working on a music project. I've ripped all my CDs to computer and I'm going through them to ensure they have the right metadata. Most do, but a few don't.

I will have a complete copy on a backup harddrive which I can use to create playlists as described above.

In doing this, I have been revisiting the music I haven't listened to in ages. :)

I am also trying to figure out a way to play my music in the car.

M in Oz