What's on your mind?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Zoomie402 wrote: »
    Someone come and pack my house for me. I will pay you in beer/wine and pizza/pasta.

I know now why no one my age still self-moves in the military (even though you save/gain money by doing so). It's a lot of work to sort through boxes, pack things.. and get your other household members to help.

We've gotten a lot packed up, but there's still a lot unpacked... no space to pack more boxes and we're leaving at the end of the week for vacation (and immediately coming back home and moving across the country).

If I didn't have to earmark boxes for long-term storage vs. wanting to take it with us, I think I would have just hired movers to do it for us.

But, at least if anything breaks on us, I only have myself to blame (but things never break when I pack them, so not too worried about that). ;)

I have heard some horror stories with military movers. Hopefully there's an end in site for you.

Our experience to/from Japan was great (on both ends), so I hope the same will be true for this international move (although we're doing a domestic move first to another city in the U.S. which is why we opted for self-move).

A few years after we returned from Japan, there were news stories about "missing" freight of military families being auctioned from shady moving companies that would just sell the families' belongs without even TRYING to locate them.. and those families were missing their stuff (sometimes whole rooms worth' of stuff) for MONTHS.

Also, somehow.. the company that the military uses to store vehicles long term managed to LOSE 300+ vehicles of military families. No clue where the cars went.. they were just gone. That also happened shortly after we returned from Japan. :grimace:

How will your kitties handle the international move? You'll be able to have them with you, right? Just curious as an animal lover myself.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Someone come and pack my house for me. I will pay you in beer/wine and pizza/pasta.

I know now why no one my age still self-moves in the military (even though you save/gain money by doing so). It's a lot of work to sort through boxes, pack things.. and get your other household members to help.

We've gotten a lot packed up, but there's still a lot unpacked... no space to pack more boxes and we're leaving at the end of the week for vacation (and immediately coming back home and moving across the country).

If I didn't have to earmark boxes for long-term storage vs. wanting to take it with us, I think I would have just hired movers to do it for us.

But, at least if anything breaks on us, I only have myself to blame (but things never break when I pack them, so not too worried about that). ;)

I have heard some horror stories with military movers. Hopefully there's an end in site for you.

Our experience to/from Japan was great (on both ends), so I hope the same will be true for this international move (although we're doing a domestic move first to another city in the U.S. which is why we opted for self-move).

A few years after we returned from Japan, there were news stories about "missing" freight of military families being auctioned from shady moving companies that would just sell the families' belongs without even TRYING to locate them.. and those families were missing their stuff (sometimes whole rooms worth' of stuff) for MONTHS.

Also, somehow.. the company that the military uses to store vehicles long term managed to LOSE 300+ vehicles of military families. No clue where the cars went.. they were just gone. That also happened shortly after we returned from Japan. :grimace:

How will your kitties handle the international move? You'll be able to have them with you, right? Just curious as an animal lover myself.

The airlines handle animals for flights that long. No flight can exceed 12 hours if you are boarding pets because they are required to give them water as well as fresh air (the cargo hold can be either very hot or very cold depending on time of year and what altitude you are flying).

When we went to Japan, Galaxy and Magellan were allowed to be in the same large carrier and I paid the price of a medium dog to get them there (normally, the airlines don't want you to board the pets in the same carrier, but since they were a brother/sister pair, it comforted them to be together for the ride). They were scared, but fared pretty well. Same with the return trip.

This time, we have two different cats and while I think they'll be frightened (who wouldn't?), I think they'll manage very well as they are both people-y cats with outgoing personalities. Their biggest fear is being abandoned (Jonesy was dropped off at the shelter THREE times in the span of his 10 month life by the time we adopted him). Binx is Binx. He gets nervous, but once he figures the vehicle isn't stopping for any measurable amount of time, he'll fall asleep and chill. They both will, probably.

The hardest part is dealing with the airlines and finding flights that fit within those parameters of pet safety. Sometimes, that means a flight path that should have only taken 14 hours ends up being 2 days in the airport and in the air.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

The airlines handle animals for flights that long. No flight can exceed 12 hours if you are boarding pets because they are required to give them water as well as fresh air (the cargo hold can be either very hot or very cold depending on time of year and what altitude you are flying).

When we went to Japan, Galaxy and Magellan were allowed to be in the same large carrier and I paid the price of a medium dog to get them there (normally, the airlines don't want you to board the pets in the same carrier, but since they were a brother/sister pair, it comforted them to be together for the ride). They were scared, but fared pretty well. Same with the return trip.

This time, we have two different cats and while I think they'll be frightened (who wouldn't?), I think they'll manage very well as they are both people-y cats with outgoing personalities. Their biggest fear is being abandoned (Jonesy was dropped off at the shelter THREE times in the span of his 10 month life by the time we adopted him). Binx is Binx. He gets nervous, but once he figures the vehicle isn't stopping for any measurable amount of time, he'll fall asleep and chill. They both will, probably.

The hardest part is dealing with the airlines and finding flights that fit within those parameters of pet safety. Sometimes, that means a flight path that should have only taken 14 hours ends up being 2 days in the airport and in the air.

Longer flights are tough but the safety of pets come first. Thank you for the info! I've never flown with pets but it's good that you already have experience with it. I'm sure your kitties will be grateful!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    banshee21 wrote: »
    Now that we text, post and generally type to people a lot, imo it is more important than ever to use the right words in the right context.
    Misunderstandings are so easy when one isn’t looking at the person we’re talking to.

I am really trying to only type the words necessary without the reader thinking I’m being snotty.
    Sometimes it’s not easy.

Yes, misunderstandings are very easy, not all of us are from the same country. Whilst I'm still from an English speaking country ( Australian is kind of English 😆)
    some words and meanings are not quite the same and sometimes I don't get the subtleties and ways of speaking by those from other countries... and I'm blonde 🤣😂 lol. If you're blonde please don't take offence.. Im taking the mickey out of myself 🤪

I’d take offence if you called me blonde ! 😜

You're Irish.. same thing 🤣😛
  • banshee21
    banshee21 Posts: 72 Member
    Now that we text, post and generally type to people a lot, imo it is more important than ever to use the right words in the right context.
    Misunderstandings are so easy when one isn’t looking at the person we’re talking to.

I am really trying to only type the words necessary without the reader thinking I’m being snotty.
    Sometimes it’s not easy.

Yes, misunderstandings are very easy, not all of us are from the same country. Whilst I'm still from an English speaking country ( Australian is kind of English 😆)
    some words and meanings are not quite the same and sometimes I don't get the subtleties and ways of speaking by those from other countries... and I'm blonde 🤣😂 lol. If you're blonde please don't take offence.. Im taking the mickey out of myself 🤪

Ugh!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! 🤣🤣🤣
  • slimgirljo15

Sometimes it’s not easy.

😂🤗
  • banshee21

Sometimes it’s not easy.

😂🤗

I’ll let you off you’re blonde .. that musta taken a long time to come up with eh? Bless ya haha
  • slimgirljo15
    edited June 2021

Sometimes it’s not easy.

😂🤗

I’ll let you off you’re blonde .. that musta taken a long time to come up with eh? Bless ya haha

10 seconds 😝😂
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Should I stop at that dog park on the way home to take a leak or do I think I can make it... 😬
  • slimgirljo15
    Should I stop at that dog park on the way home to take a leak or do I think I can make it... 😬

Let us know what happens..Did you make it? :D
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits

Let us know what happens..Did you make it? :D

I'm a gambling man, and I don't like to stop... 😂
    But it was close... 👌🏼
  • slimgirljo15
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    93qx9e1lyn9u.jpg
    hkv6nmgeiaik.jpg
    Breaking my back completely overhauling an overgrown landscape.....broken back is worth it 😁

Looks amazing, great job 🙂
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    93qx9e1lyn9u.jpg
    hkv6nmgeiaik.jpg
    Breaking my back completely overhauling an overgrown landscape.....broken back is worth it 😁

That's amazing 💪🏽
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    93qx9e1lyn9u.jpg
    hkv6nmgeiaik.jpg

Looks amazing, great job 🙂

Concur! Lovin’ life and livin’ your dream. It shows in your master craftsmanship, bro.
  • banshee21
    Sleeping 😴
  • slimgirljo15
    Sleeping 😴

Git to bed.. 🛌 😙
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    Deciding not to go down the rabbit hole of conspiracy theories Re: John McAffee, who was just found hung in his Spanish prison cell. Fresh tat saying $Wacked, a day before Tweet saying if he's found hung, it's murder, others saying he's "Q"... nope, my tired brain can't take anymore conspiracies this year. I prefer conspiracies in the movies I choose to watch.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Dude I'm so dumb 🙈😂
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    Dude I'm so dumb 🙈😂

Better dumb and know it than FBR and figure it out later. 🤷🏼‍♂️