WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    edited June 2021
    Machka9 wrote: »
    June is shaping up to be a busy month

• Pilates - about once a week.
    • Audax meetings - that's the long distance cycling club I'm a part of.
    • Designing another 50 km route for Audax. This one needs to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging.
    • Cycle a 50 km route. Plus shorter rides.
    • Run at least one 5 km distance.
    • Plant bulbs. I've got to get these things in or it will be spring with no flowers!
    • All-day work meeting tomorrow. :neutral:
    • A week off next week - some rest time, I hope! And cycling. I booked this week off to ward off the darkness. :)
    • Back to school! I'm taking a 5 week course called 'Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)' . It's all online and work-at-our-own-pace with no formal assignments, exams, etc.
    • Bees! My husband and I are booked for a course to build a Warre Hive at the end of June.
    • Plus, of course, my 2021 To Do List: getting organise, simplifying, etc. I've got 4 projects on the go right now and I "switch-task" between them.

That's all in addition to work and caring for my husband. :)

EDIT: Also ... the stair climbing challenge at work is to reach the height of Mount Ossa, the tallest mountain in Tasmania (1617 metres = 450 floors * 20 stairs/floor).

It is about noon on June 1 and I've done 20 floors so far. I've got a way to go. :)

Done:
    • Attended regular Pilates classes.
    • Ran Audax Tasmania AGM.
    • Attended Audax National Committee meeting.
    • Cycled a 50 km route.
    • Ran/walked a 5 km route but want to do it again.
    • Planted bulbs. Ran out. But then found some more!
    • Attended the all day meeting at work.
    • Finished week off ... could go for another week off, as always.
    • Started short course.
    • Climbing stairs toward the elevation of Mount Ossa (450 flights of 20 stairs) ... almost there!.

:):relaxed::grin::smile: :smiley::relieved::sweat_smile::sunglasses::tongue: :yum:
      [/quote]

Weekend plans
      - build bee hives
      - plant a few more bulbs that I found
      - cycling
      - running
      - keep working on my "to do" list.

In a moment of madness I signed up for a free 28 day pilates challenge. I get exercises to do each day for 28 days. The program has apparently helped train runners, cyclists and triathletes so I thought that might work for me and my running and cycling.

However, I am a week into the 28 days and feeling really frustrated with it. I had hoped to learn a number of exercises I could do at home but ...

- several of the exercises are too advanced for me. I'm looking at women who can do things with their legs that I'll never be able to do. I'm not flexible and even if I stick with this, I won't get that flexible.
      - some of the exercises have me doing things which I've been taught are harmful. I have taken a fitness instructor course many years ago! These are things like full situps with flat, stretched out legs. I learned that was really hard on the lower back and that the recommendation is to bend the knees, even just a little bit. And bouncing in stretches - I thought that went out about 30 years ago.
      - I was hoping for a variety of exercises, but there seems to be a lot of repetition. They've got a whole bunch that have me in a crunch the whole time ... curl up into a crunch and remain there for the next half hour while we do all sorts of things with our legs. And they keep going back to an exercise called 100s. That is something my in-person instructor has never taught me to do and it's just ... odd. Plus it gives me neck pain.
      - The personal dashboard on the website or app is not easy to use.
      - And they nag!! I'm getting several emails each day now.

So ... I'm thinking I might scroll through the exercises, see if there are any I like, and cancel. I know it's free and I know it's only for 28 days, but it's already annoying me.

Meanwhile, my husband and I are looking for a Pilates reformer because we do want to keep up with some of the exercises we do in our in-person class. :) And I especially want to work on my core.

Machka in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Rori – you are always in my thoughts. I hope you have a good trip and contemplate all the wonderful memories. I’m also glad you’ll get to see your friend.

Natalie – welcome!

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    @Whidislander that is so cool! Is this a young person or your husband?
  • Numer1ca
    Today I was working on payroll and they bought us lunch at work, so I stayed late and had a delicious lunch. It was from Halal Guys and they have a nutritional menu on their website, which made tracking easy. If I gain weight, it’s from the salt content. It was like a deconstructed chicken gyro. So pretty healthy overall except that the rice was white rice.
    Unfortunately working late meant that I did not get my walk in. I didn’t have enough time between work and my oil change. It’s fine, I can make it up on Saturday.

My friend grabbed my son and took him to the lake with her kids today. He is 14, but this is the first time he was “responsible” for himself like that. He couldn’t find his sun hat at all. So he got burnt. :( I just ordered 4 sun hats (1 for each of us) from Costco at a really good price. Now I need to find us some sun shirts. We’ve decided to move off of sunscreen and just wear the UV clothing.

It was nice having lunch at work today. I sat with people I have interacted with this year because of covid. I know all of the staff (not faculty) but not by face, only name. So Imsat by one guy and I don’t even know who he was!

Looking forward to my regular meals tomorrow and my walk.
  • Numer1ca
    @yfznat welcome
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Stiff all over. Watching the kids always does that to me. ;)
    Had a mini binge on cheese last night. Kids also always do that to me. :* I did avoid an alcohol binge though, with just one drink. Definite win for me. :D
    Today is another day. Weather lovely. Singing Zoom this afternoon. Exercise back to normal.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Our Kitchenaide microwave & oven combination has worn out and needs to be replaced. I want to go to Lowes & Home Depot to look for a replacement. Advice welcome.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    edited June 2021
    Beth and Barbara I just picked off my first Zucchini it was small. I like to pick them small to have in a salad. I use the compost I make in the winter for my soil. Soil, eggshells, banana peels, and coffee grounds make up my compost. Without enough calicum you get the blosom rot and yellowing on the ends. This can happen to tomotoes so I use the same compost on them too. I use a pruning shears or sharp knife to harvest.

Thanks to you Barbara I did more looking into them. At first you will get more male flowers to attract the insects. Then the female come and they are the ones who produce the zucchini. If only male flowers are produced because of intense heat or stress because of lack of water you can cut off some of the male flowers to try to get more females.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    edited June 2021
    June is shaping up to be a busy month

• Pilates - about once a week.
    • Audax meetings - that's the long distance cycling club I'm a part of.
    • Designing another 50 km route for Audax. This one needs to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging.
    • Cycle a 50 km route. Plus shorter rides.
    • Run at least one 5 km distance.
    • Plant bulbs. I've got to get these things in or it will be spring with no flowers!
    • All-day work meeting tomorrow. :neutral:
    • A week off next week - some rest time, I hope! And cycling. I booked this week off to ward off the darkness. :)
    • Back to school! I'm taking a 5 week course called 'Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)' . It's all online and work-at-our-own-pace with no formal assignments, exams, etc.
    • Bees! My husband and I are booked for a course to build a Warre Hive at the end of June.
    • Plus, of course, my 2021 To Do List: getting organise, simplifying, etc. I've got 4 projects on the go right now and I "switch-task" between them.

That's all in addition to work and caring for my husband. :)

EDIT: Also ... the stair climbing challenge at work is to reach the height of Mount Ossa, the tallest mountain in Tasmania (1617 metres = 450 floors * 20 stairs/floor).

It is about noon on June 1 and I've done 20 floors so far. I've got a way to go. :)

Done:
    • Attended regular Pilates classes.
    • Ran Audax Tasmania AGM.
    • Attended Audax National Committee meeting.
    • Cycled a 50 km route.
    • Ran/walked a 5 km route but want to do it again.
    • Planted bulbs. Ran out. But then found some more!
    • Attended the all day meeting at work.
    • Finished week off ... could go for another week off, as always.
    • Started short course.
    • Climbing stairs toward the elevation of Mount Ossa (450 flights of 20 stairs) ... almost there!.

:):relaxed::grin::smile: :smiley::relieved::sweat_smile::sunglasses::tongue: :yum:

Weekend plans
    - build bee hives
    - plant a few more bulbs that I found
    - cycling
    - running
    - keep working on my "to do" list.

In a moment of madness I signed up for a free 28 day pilates challenge. I get exercises to do each day for 28 days. The program has apparently helped train runners, cyclists and triathletes so I thought that might work for me and my running and cycling.

However, I am a week into the 28 days and feeling really frustrated with it. I had hoped to learn a number of exercises I could do at home but ...
    - several of the exercises are too advanced for me. I'm looking at women who can do things with their legs that I'll never be able to do. I'm not flexible and even if I stick with this, I won't get that flexible.
    - some of the exercises have me doing things which I've been taught are harmful. I have taken a fitness instructor course many years ago! These are things like full situps with flat, stretched out legs. I learned that was really hard on the lower back and that the recommendation is to bend the knees, even just a little bit. And bouncing in stretches - I thought that went out about 30 years ago.
    - I was hoping for a variety of exercises, but there seems to be a lot of repetition. They've got a whole bunch that have me in a crunch the whole time ... curl up into a crunch and remain there for the next half hour while we do all sorts of things with our legs. And they keep going back to an exercise called 100s. That is something my in-person instructor has never taught me to do and it's just ... odd. Plus it gives me neck pain.
    - The personal dashboard on the website or app is not easy to use.
    - And they nag!! I'm getting several emails each day now.

So ... I'm thinking I might scroll through the exercises, see if there are any I like, and cancel. I know it's free and I know it's only for 28 days, but it's already annoying me.

Meanwhile, my husband and I are looking for a Pilates reformer because we do want to keep up with some of the exercises we do in our in-person class. :) And I especially want to work on my core.

Machka in Oz

Shortly after I wrote this, I got a message about a Pilates reformer I had enquired about and minutes later, I was sprinting to the bank, then back to work to shut things down and grab my stuff, onto the first bus home, into the van and off to get the reformer!

Unfortunately, the first bus home was 30C inside and crowded. I was definitely not the only one feeling the heat, people were trying to remove their jackets (but it was so crowded, that was difficult) and a woman a couple seats in front of me looked like she was going to be sick. I wasn't feeling particularly well either.

Nevertheless, I got home and off we went all the way to the other side of town and back!

This reformer is smaller than the ones we use at the physio place, but that's OK. We don't have a whole heap of room so smaller is good. It's also not a commercial one, it's a home use one which is also OK since it's only the two of us.

We'll get it in place this weekend and see how it is.

But I've been exhausted this evening since we got home!! I'm not used to doing things like that right after work.

And I'm attempting to cancel that other thing. I haven't received an email since I started that attempt so that's a good sign.

Friday tomorrow! This has been my first full week at work in ages. Thankfully, next week is a 4-day week.

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,022 Member
    Machka,
    My first encounter with pilates was with a book. You could pick and choose exercises from a book.

I sent flowers to my cousin and aunt for my other cousin's memorial. And I fetched another cousin from the airport. So all is moving along.

Annie in Delaware
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,778 Member
    Rori--Your trip sounds like a good time to reflect and rest. Best of luck.

Going to be another HOT day with storms. We did get some rain during the night which we needed. I have one of my new girls coming in today to start training at noon. I am not thrilled as I am not good at having the patience to train. But will see how it goes. This is the one that has been having nothing but problems with stuff so far. I just do not have a good feeling about her. Then my person that gave notice, this is her last day and this afternoon we will have a little party for her. Just glad I have tomorrow off, but then work Saturday. Plan tomorrow to go to Lincoln and see my friend in the center and make sure she is doing ok. Still no word on her money that her daughter stole from her Social Security and stemulis.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka—Our daughter-in-law is a certified Pilates instructor, but is not taking students at this time. She began as a student and had very good results, so she invested in a reformer. It helped her strength and agility.