Pre-diabetes

Hi. I joined mfp a few years ago as I wanted to gain weight. I reached my goal weight quite quickly and found I needed to take in far more calories than mfp calculated in order to maintain. Initially I started a lifting programme too (SLx5) which was great but I had to stop after a year or so due to various health issues and injuries. I now do pilates,resistance band exercises, walking and swimming which just about help to maintain muscle and strength.
A recent blood test showed my blood sugar levels to be in the pre-diabetic range. This was a shock! I'm not and never have been overweight and am as active as I can be. Advice from the nurse was pretty useless (eat less sugar) and the research I did suggested swapping simple carbs for complex ones but here is the thing. I suffer from ulcerative colitis, so a high fibre diet is a no go .
I need to maintain my weight and reduce my waist size (I have become apple shaped) I know I'm asking the impossible but would appreciate a few tips! I have cut back on sugar and tried to get my calories from protein and oils but it's not easy! Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Sorry to hear. Just out of interest, why maintain your weight? Weight loss would be a faster path to reducing your waist size.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear. Just out of interest, why maintain your weight? Weight loss would be a faster path to reducing your waist size.

I don't need to lose weight though. I'm 5' 3" and weigh around 125lbs. The cause of my raised sugar levels is likely to be that I'm on a low dose of steroids for ulcerative colitis and asthma.
    You could be right though; I could probably lose a few pounds with no ill effect.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    Can I ask how old you are OP? If you are perimenopausal then a useful book
    Is “the hormone repair manual.” Insulin resistance is common in Perimenopause because of fluctuating hormones. A pattern of fat distribution around the belly is also common in this stage of life. The book has various approaches to dealing with insulin resistance.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Is “the hormone repair manual.” Insulin resistance is common in Perimenopause because of fluctuating hormones. A pattern of fat distribution around the belly is also common in this stage of life. The book has various approaches to dealing with insulin resistance.

I'm 66 next birthday, I should have said that in my op. Way past menopause! I am on a long term low dose of steroids which is the likely reason, I've been told, though it's true I've gained more fat on my belly since the menopause. Thank you for your advice.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member

I'm 66 next birthday, I should have said that in my op. Way past menopause! I am on a long term low dose of steroids which is the likely reason, I've been told, though it's true I've gained more fat on my belly since the menopause. Thank you for your advice.
    I think it’s difficult when you’re in a normal weight range to think about losing weight. You could try and lose a small amount and get your sugar re tested.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    The steroids will cause not only the high sugar (I am diabetic and when I had a single injection for a knee injury my usually well-controlled glucose levels went through the roof for a week) but also central fat gain, directly. There’s not much you can do other than what you’re already doing. If you can tolerate more heavy lifting, it does help with insulin resistance. The other thing would be to try getting off the steroids, but that might not be possible. If there are other possible approaches to treating your colitis and asthma that would be something to look into. You could also try maintaining a slightly lower weight and see if it helps. Best of luck to you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    The steroids will cause not only the high sugar (I am diabetic and when I had a single injection for a knee injury my usually well-controlled glucose levels went through the roof for a week) but also central fat gain, directly. There’s not much you can do other than what you’re already doing. If you can tolerate more heavy lifting, it does help with insulin resistance. The other thing would be to try getting off the steroids, but that might not be possible. If there are other possible approaches to treating your colitis and asthma that would be something to look into. You could also try maintaining a slightly lower weight and see if it helps. Best of luck to you.

Thank you ,I did fear it could be the steroids.
    I'm on a biological drug for the colitis which has got me into remission but unfortunately, I had been on steroids for so long that I'm now steroid dependent.
    I will aim to lose a few pounds and see if that brings the sugar levels down .
  • SheDiabetic2
    SheDiabetic2 Posts: 13 Member
    My advance to you is to see if you can find an Diabetic Educator in your area to help you develop a meal plan that is suitable for you.
  • comptonelizabeth
    My advance to you is to see if you can find an Diabetic Educator in your area to help you develop a meal plan that is suitable for you.

Thank you. I'm in the UK, we have diabetes nurses. I could ask to be referred to a dietician. Thanks for the advice.