Milestone Anniversary - 10 years

sunrise611
sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
Today is the 10-year anniversary of the day that I first signed up with MFP on June 23, 2011 -- 3,655 days!

Within a year after joining, I lost 39 pounds and maintained that loss for about five years. I gained about 15 pounds back and am going back down again again.

I learned a lot about how much calories and sodium are lurking in foods, especially in restaurants! Very eye-opening! I ate a lot of "healthier" processed foods to save time in logging.

Now I am cooking more and am picky about quality ingredients to stay healthier. Protein makes you feel fuller and more satisfied so you won't crave junk or snacks.

Drinking purified water throughout the day helps. Avoid drinking calories like sodas and booze. I drink my calories in healthy smoothies instead and have one for breakfast to start my day off right.

Staying mindful and aware is key to losing and maintaining weight.

A little exercise helps speed up the process. Find things that you enjoy and will stick with.

Aerobics like dancing or jumping on a trampoline (rebounder) will burn calories more efficiently and faster than walking unless you walk quickly and on challenging paths. So, walking in general is not as great as an aerobic activity but it is still good for you so include walks in your routine when you can.

Exercise will earn more calories for the day.

Don't sweat occasional binges because you can get back on track the next day and don't deprive yourself of things you love to eat. If anything, find healthier ways to eat your favorite foods and swap out high calories ingredients for lower cal ones so you can enjoy treats without guilt.

Make a commitment to yourself. It's a healthy lifestyle, not a quick short-term diet.

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Congrats on your commitment!
  • sargemarcori
    sargemarcori Posts: 301 Member
    congratulations!

@Cheesy567, I love your icon.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Congrats on your milestone! It's really an inspiration to see people get that far and see results.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Congratulations! Ten years, that's a great accomplishment. You are definitely an inspiration. Thanks for posting your insights you've gained during the experience. I'm just a walker, right now. Idea of a trampoline at my weight is scary --- plus, when I check the weight limit on those home exercise trampolines, I'm too much for it :( But I hope to work my way down to them at some point. You will inspire me to keep going.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Congrats!
    I signed up in 2013 so I'm right behind you. Yes, as time passes you learn more and more. There are people on here that share valuable information. You can take and use what applies to you and leave the rest, until you reach a point where it can be useful. At 66 I'm in better form than when I was 40.
  • sunrise611
    Thanks to all that had nice comments. I appreciate them. You're to be commended for being here and taking charge of your health as well. Keep it up.

And I agree with @snowflake954 that age doesn't make a difference. You can lose weight at any age and feel younger and better than you did when you were younger.

A good attitude goes a long way. Age is mind over matter: if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
  • pdd1216
    pdd1216 Posts: 319 Member
    That's fantastic! I only wish I had stayed committed to what I started 10 years ago!!
  • sunrise611
    Thanks, pdd1216! You're here and that's a great step in the right direction.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!