What’s best?

Options

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    OK, you like supplements. I get that. I question supplements. You get that. But, do you really want to control my opinions?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Are there remote places where real food is not available but powdered supplements are?

Internet?
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Are there remote places where real food is not available but powdered supplements are?

Why does it matter?
    Whey protein is just a food derived from milk. Not a "miracle" or an "experiment".
    That some people find it convenient to supplement (which means adds to or enhances - not replaces as you seem to think) an extremely bio-available and useful nutrient that is both calorie and price efficient should be a matter of complete indifference to you.

There are times when whey supplementation is a great option for me, easy to digest, quick to prepare. When I get back to my car or home from a multi-hour cycle ride a chilled protein milkshake is a great way to start my recovery.

I'm maintaining on a very high calorie allowance but when I was dieting low calorie protein supplementation was a really sensible choice to keep protein intake at an optimal level with a relatively low amount of calories.

I think you have made the best case for supplements, and expressed it perfectly, and which I have always acknowledged is a reasonable choice given what we know about their long term effects, which is not much. But, it is an experiment without monitoring due to the rules that exempt protein supplements from FDA oversight. Its OK as long as people know that not much information is available about the long term effects.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Why does it matter?
    Whey protein is just a food derived from milk. Not a "miracle" or an "experiment".
    That some people find it convenient to supplement (which means adds to or enhances - not replaces as you seem to think) an extremely bio-available and useful nutrient that is both calorie and price efficient should be a matter of complete indifference to you.

There are times when whey supplementation is a great option for me, easy to digest, quick to prepare. When I get back to my car or home from a multi-hour cycle ride a chilled protein milkshake is a great way to start my recovery.

I'm maintaining on a very high calorie allowance but when I was dieting low calorie protein supplementation was a really sensible choice to keep protein intake at an optimal level with a relatively low amount of calories.

I think you have made the best case for supplements, and expressed it perfectly, and which I have always acknowledged is a reasonable choice given what we know about their long term effects, which is not much. But, it is an experiment without monitoring due to the rules that exempt protein supplements from FDA oversight. Its OK as long as people know that not much information is available about the long term effects.

I'm confused here. Isn't whey protein a milk derivative---like cheese? What's to experiment? Or, are you saying that there are additives to be concerned about? What are they?
  • wilson10102018
    Options

Why does it matter?

I'm confused here. Isn't whey protein a milk derivative---like cheese? What's to experiment? Or, are you saying that there are additives to be concerned about? What are they?

Please don't try to make me the scientist. Or, probably yourself. If you don't see the difference between milk and whey based protein supplement then you have no questions to ask. And, if, for example, whey protein is a harmless substitute for real food, why not 100% supplements? Or, 75%.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    This all just has me musing about food.

We visited friends in a village in rural Ukraine. They pined for the selection and grocery stores we told them about.

I pine for their fresh food from the garden, wood stove baked bread, and homemade cheeses. Moody cow and all.

I guess it’s all in perspective.

I prefer my protein from foods but have begun dabbling in adding whey protein to foods to amp up the protein. I just feel better on higher levels. And that’s what it all boils down to, isn’t it?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    amioc wrote: »
    I want to start upping my protein and I’ve been looking at different shakes.
    What do you all think is best whey or plant based? Also I want something that’s filling and tastes nice. I’m in the uk so ideally something I can buy hear.
    I’d really appreciate any help/advice you can give me 🙂

One trick I use is to mix a protein shake that I like (currently Glucerna Creamy Strawberry Carb Control) with two or three cans of sparkling water.

No, it won’t fill you up like a meal. But it tastes close enough to an egg cream*, and is delightful on a hot day.

*a soda fountain drink made with milk, flavored syrup, and seltzer water. It originated in the late 1800’s among Yiddish-speaking Eastern European Jewish immigrants in New York City. And was a favorite treat in my mother’s Brooklyn childhood.

This sounds interesting...I usually mix mine with cold coffee...I'll have to try it out when not in a coffee mood
  • wilson10102018
    edited June 2021
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

What science experiment? What long term effects?

I was done with your sophistry, but this made me laugh so much I have to respond.

Do you not see the irony of your rhetorical question? It is essentially my only point.

Diet experts and medical doctors have studied the long term effects of just about every diet anomaly, from too much salt to one glass of red wine at dinner. Except it seems, protein supplements.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    Hey, if protein supplements were good enough for David Bowie...
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My "best" is naked whey protein from the Protein Works. I'm absolutely fine with milk products - not much of an experiment for a mammal to conduct.... :wink:

It's sweetened with Stevia instead of sucralose (which I dislike), good flavours and mixes well. Good protein to calorie ratio.

They are in the UK and are a bit like DFS - there's always a special deal on so don't pay full price.

Maybe worth getting some samples to see what is your "best"? It's disappointing to buy a big tub and find you hate it (yes Holland & Barrett, I'm talking about you).

Thank you so much 😊. This sounds like it would really work for me because I think maybe Sucralose could be the taste I don’t like. Is Sucralose the tase in Diet Coke and other diet drinks? That’s the taste I hate!
  • amioc
    Options
    I want to start upping my protein and I’ve been looking at different shakes.
    What do you all think is best whey or plant based? Also I want something that’s filling and tastes nice. I’m in the uk so ideally something I can buy hear.
    I’d really appreciate any help/advice you can give me 🙂

One trick I use is to mix a protein shake that I like (currently Glucerna Creamy Strawberry Carb Control) with two or three cans of sparkling water.

No, it won’t fill you up like a meal. But it tastes close enough to an egg cream*, and is delightful on a hot day.

*a soda fountain drink made with milk, flavored syrup, and seltzer water. It originated in the late 1800’s among Yiddish-speaking Eastern European Jewish immigrants in New York City. And was a favorite treat in my mother’s Brooklyn childhood.

That sounds interesting 🤔. I never would of thought about mixing it up with fizzy drinks! Thank you ☺️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    My "best" is naked whey protein from the Protein Works. I'm absolutely fine with milk products - not much of an experiment for a mammal to conduct.... :wink:

It's sweetened with Stevia instead of sucralose (which I dislike), good flavours and mixes well. Good protein to calorie ratio.

They are in the UK and are a bit like DFS - there's always a special deal on so don't pay full price.

Maybe worth getting some samples to see what is your "best"? It's disappointing to buy a big tub and find you hate it (yes Holland & Barrett, I'm talking about you).

Thank you so much 😊. This sounds like it would really work for me because I think maybe Sucralose could be the taste I don’t like. Is Sucralose the tase in Diet Coke and other diet drinks? That’s the taste I hate!

I DESPISE sucralose. YUCK YUCK YUCK!

I use to be fine with a chocolate whey protein powder that had both sugar and stevia, but developed a distaste for stevia as well. These days I make chocolate protein powder with my plain unflavored whey, cocoa powder, and sugar (or hot cocoa mix, which is cocoa and sugar.)

I add flavor, fat, fiber, etc. to my smoothies to both turn them into substantial snacks or complete meals, and to cover up the whey flavor.

b9muupxu9vot.png

For the liquid, I brew a combo of Starbuck mint mocha coffee and Teeccino chocolate raspberry herbal coffee substitute and and ice to get it to the right temperature.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Whey-based protein is generally going to be more protein-dense (more grams of protein for a given amount of calories), but since you're looking at "shakes" (which means the manufacturer has added in their own idiosyncratic mix of other ingredients in varying amounts), you're really going to have to look at labels.

"Tasting nice" is a personal thing. What tastes nice to one person may not taste nice to another.

Personally, I don't buy shakes. I make my own shakes or smoothies, using plain whey-based or plant-based protein powders or partially defatted peanut meal, adding whatever flavors I'm in the mood for (generally fresh or frozen fruit, plain cocoa powder) and thickeners (frozen fruit, especially bananas help here, plus fresh or frozen avocado and yogurt) and dairy or nondairy milk to achieve the right final consistency. I generally do it for a high-protein alternative to a lean meat and eggs breakfast, or as a justifiable indulgence after a heavy workout. Not an everyday thing for me, as most days I'm satisfied with my protein intake.

Yes, I'm too cheap and picky to buy premade shakes.
  • amioc
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I DESPISE sucralose. YUCK YUCK YUCK!

I use to be fine with a chocolate whey protein powder that had both sugar and stevia, but developed a distaste for stevia as well. These days I make chocolate protein powder with my plain unflavored whey, cocoa powder, and sugar (or hot cocoa mix, which is cocoa and sugar.)

I add flavor, fat, fiber, etc. to my smoothies to both turn them into substantial snacks or complete meals, and to cover up the whey flavor.

b9muupxu9vot.png

For the liquid, I brew a combo of Starbuck mint mocha coffee and Teeccino chocolate raspberry herbal coffee substitute and and ice to get it to the right temperature.

Thank you 😊. I think I’m going to get some samples like you said and start mixing stuff with it and see if can get it to a taste I like 🙂.
    I’m not sure how to send friend requests would it be ok if you please request me?