Apps for tracking weight lifting

I haven't looked at MFP's strength training tracker lately, maybe it's improved but really doesn't seem suited for tracking strength gains.

What do you use? Why?

I'm looking for a good set of standard exercises to code from.
Tracking sets and reps.
Various graphs to judge progress
And after going through two phones in quick succession, an online account where the data is stored.
The ability to export that data would be nice as well.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Honestly, every app I've ever tried was more hassle than it's worth. I just use a notebook.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I also just use a notebook tbh.

LiftVault Dot Com has tons of resources though, including links to free Google Sheets for basically any popular lifting program you can think of, which you can save yourself a copy of to your local Google Drive. Some of them are pretty sophisticated, calculating rep ranges/1RM/etc for you; others are less "smart," basically just tables with exercises and spots for weight/reps, and you just fill them in as you go. You can still use the data to generate graphs if you like graphs, you just gotta do that part yourself.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Honestly, every app I've ever tried was more hassle than it's worth. I just use a notebook.

Same - I log my progress with a small notebook. For MFP tracking purposes, I log 'strength training' under Cardio and log elapsed time. I find entering data into Google Sheets from a phone cumbersome. I suppose one could transpose notebook data to excel or sheets for charting purposes. I'm much too lazy for that.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Another vote for pen and paper.
  • DMarkSwan
    DMarkSwan Posts: 56 Member
    I liked fitnotes until I lost my data but it looks like they added data backup to the last release so if I can get my old phone's data to the new one I'll switch back.

Using Strong now. Both are fairly simple to use but fitnotes has more data analysis (I'm a dork) for free.

I also love spreadsheets so that's a tempting option where I could create my own graphs. (Okay, a huge dork)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I like Fitnotes too.

Yes backup on new version.

I use spreadsheet for calculating new %1RM and other details on individual lifts, for when seasons and training changes. But tried logging and there and I guess I just didn't want to do the setup.
    That was pre-google sheets though - so maybe more useful now.
  • thatsmejb
    thatsmejb Posts: 83 Member
    I've haven't found one that works well, just use notepad on my phone.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    I use MFP while at the gym and log it in an Excel spreadsheet when I get home.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    I like using my 5x5 app, but it's specifically for that routine - so it's limited to those specific exercises.
  • ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    I recently started using fitnotes as I kept forgetting to buy new notebooks - its a pretty easy app to use
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    RTS is free and perfect.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I've used Jefit forever. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than pen and paper? For me, yes. I like having graphs showing my progress, or lack thereof, without having to input something I wrote down into something else.

It stores everything in the "cloud" so you don't generally have to worry about the loss of your data. Not saying it can't happen, but I've had jefit through at least 3 phones and a couple of tablets and never had a complete data loss. Although, sometimes having multiple devices signed in simultaneously has caused me grief so now I make sure I sync on my current device, log out and only then log in on another device.
  • mikethewriter
    mikethewriter Posts: 18 Member
    I use Simple Workout Log app.
  • Manga23
    Manga23 Posts: 47 Member
    edited July 2021
    I use Simple Workout Log app.

Same, works well for me.....calculates your 1RM. Simple but a very good log app to work with.
    You can import / export your data and download an excel sheet if you want.
  • ohlendorf81
    ohlendorf81 Posts: 4 Member
    Gym Streak, been using it over 2 years. They have pre set workouts but you can also create your own. Set rest reminders, write notes, build supersets.
  • doubleplay_643
    doubleplay_643 Posts: 152 Member
    I use Jefit. I have tried them all and Jefit has everthing I need and more