Don't Let the Bathroom Scale Get the Better of You

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I went over my calorie limit for 2 days (didn't even overeat or binge eat, just ate probably around maintenance) and gained 3 lbs! :'( Kicking myself for it now.

It happens and most likely water retention….
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    I went over my calorie limit for 2 days (didn't even overeat or binge eat, just ate probably around maintenance) and gained 3 lbs! :'( Kicking myself for it now.

@denisemlarnder Don't sweat it! To gain 3 lbs of fat, you would have had to eat 3500*3=10,500 calories ABOVE maintenance, which would be darn near impossible, even if you had overeaten. It is just water weight, and probably some extra food in your digestive system. It'll all drop off in another few days, I promise!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,579 Member

Isn't that ridiculously frustrating and disheartening. Chances are really good that your extra calories included extra sodium and carb = water weight. But that doesn't make it feel much better, I know. Try to put that all behind you and start fresh and you will probably see a wonderful drop in the next few days that makes as little sense as the gain!
  • denisemlarnder
    denisemlarnder Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks everyone, that helps a bit. <3
  • lauriekallis
    Thanks everyone, that helps a bit. <3

sometimes just sailing that scale right out the window helps too! :p
  • lauriekallis
    I haven’t done it yet… I’m not even up yet… But I’m thinking I might weigh myself this morning. I’m not even sure if I can see the number and I cannot bend down so it might be like a super safe thing to do. I haven’t weighed myself since March …during that time Ive had two breast surgeries a little bit of recovery after each an eye surgery 10 days of lying face down with zero activity three weeks of being up and around but with no exercise and finally this past week of 20 minute rounds of easy activity.

It sounds like I’m making excuses for a potentially higher weight and I imagine that’s exactly what I’ve done - though not consciously.

I’m just trying to prepare myself for what I might discover and to eliminate any bouts of self low loathing.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,803 Member
    Goodness Laurie after what you’ve been through self-loathing is just WRONG! You’ve had very little control over what you’re eating and certainly not the energy to make deficit decisions. Either weigh and accept it’s just a number. Or put it off until you know you can be in mindful control.

You probably don’t need the added stress right now. Weight loss is a mind game. I know because I’ve been losing the battle the last few days and don’t expect improvement in the next couple of weeks. Let’s just forgive ourselves temporarily?
  • lauriekallis
    Thank you, Yooly! And I found that post that I couldn’t find because I thought I put it in the numbers thread 😂
  • lauriekallis
    And right back at you on the be gentle with yourself front. Putting extra stress on yourself seems to make everything worse if the threads we are hanging on by are getting a bit ravelled.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I would think after 3 weeks of recovery 'up & about' + now 1 week.of light activity it makes sense to get a weight to take stock of where you're at, so you have that info for planning next steps & fyi as to how your body responded to all the trauma it's been through. And please note - it is right & good to be feeding yourself well during this period of healing.

However, I am concerned about your mental process in all this and please don't weigh yourself if a concrete number would be worse for you than your imaginings! ❤️

Please try hard to have at least close to the same compassion for yourself as you would have for one of us laying out the same circumstances in our health/weight-loss journey...(assuming you don't judge us all as harshly lol).
  • Yoolypr
    Well after ten years of reliable service, my bathroom scale broke. One of the senser feet cracked. I was wondering why my weight was all over the place. Especially since I weigh daily.
    Ordered a new scale today. And now I’m anxious to see what my real weight is!
  • lauriekallis
    Fingers crossed for a nice number, Yooly!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    WOWSER.

STOP.

Weight is NOT COMPARABLE across non reference weight calibrated scales.

SORRY.

I was overjoyed when my two identical manufacturer identical model scales when brought together on the same floor location were yielding the exact 0.5lbs difference I had deduced via comparison.

And that's not a large discrepancy. Even if it "FEELS" large.

A new scale is like a new box of chocolates! And not necessarily more reflective of reality than the previous! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Not expecting miracles with the new scale but it would be nice! Hoping for some reliable consistency.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,525 Member
    Be careful. Most scale sold today feature fake consistency

You can test fake consistency by using a big jug of known weight.

After you get consistent results that don't change, let go of the jug and try again.

Repeat again while holding the jug a second time and then you'll have a better idea as to how much of the consistency was fake or real! 🙀🤬🙈🤐😱

(trend over time still works more than fine for the purpose of weight management! And semi accurate fakely consistent samples can also work for the right operator! 😎😜😘)
  • lauriekallis
    Yes
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I'm all about those semi-accurate, fakely consistent results!
  • Yoolypr
    The new bathroom scale arrived yesterday after several failed attempts by Amazon to deliver it to another zip code. No miracles were had. Pretty much the same weight as expected.
  • lauriekallis
    That’s probably about the best? If it was higher you would either have to disbelieve it or feel sad - if it was lower you wouldn’t trust it. Being kind of the same probably is the best for your peace of mind???