Fellow Swimmers!

Hello hello hello

I have recently started swimming for exercise, I'm four weeks in and swim six mornings a week before work!

Originally I was swimming half a mile, but the last few times I have been swimming a whole mile; 88 lengths of a 20 meter pool, it takes around 50 minutes, and I am absolutely knackered! :smiley:

How about you guys, what is your swimming routine?

Replies

• KatSe2015
    KatSe2015 Posts: 3 Member
    Six days a week is a very impressive routine!

Swimming is my absolute favorite type of workout. I swim 40 lengths in a 50m pool which takes an hour for me and I try to do that at least 3 times a week. Last week I managed 5 times. I like to go very early and bring a thermos of coffee with me and enjoy the time just sipping my coffee next to the pool after my swim. I went this morning- I feel like going again even while writing this.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    I'm just getting back into swimming after a long hiatus. Loving it but can only swim 25 minutes or so before I tire. You guys are doing great!
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    I started swimming a few weeks ago, since I have a knee injury and can't do anything else. I've been going in the early afternoon around supper time. It's been great! The pool is mostly empty and only starts filling up when I'm ready to leave. I feel like I'm slower than molasses though with only 1 leg :s I'm about 50-60 lengths in a 25m pool and takes about 40-60 mins <3
  • lucytalbot94
    lucytalbot94 Posts: 32 Member
    @KatSe2015 that sounds absolutely lush! I have never swum in a 50m pool, I am desperate to try it, and that coffee on the side sounds amazing. Might have to steal that idea!!

@Toronto6fan I was swimming around that when I first got back into it too, you'll be swimming an hour in no time!!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Our outdoor pools so hard to get times for, covid restrictions have gyms and indoor shut still. Covid numbers getting really low so hopefully can lose some of the restrictions.
  • lucytalbot94
    lucytalbot94 Posts: 32 Member
    @twinkles4 64 lengths in a 25m pool is a mile!! That's amazing!

@Toronto6fan bloody covid getting in the way of our leisurely swims! How very inconvenient!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    I usually combine swim days and bike riding days by riding to the outdoor pool/ocean. Seasonal, 2-3 days/week. The ride from home is 14 mi per round trip. If I park at the pool/ocean instead, I'll ride in the local national park (Sandy Hook, NJ) for a 15-18mi ride. The pool sets aside 20 min of each hour for "adult swim," so we get "lane time" without bumping into clots of kiddies. In my 20 min period, I do easy-moderate laps, as my main activity is the cycling, and this repeats for as many hours as I spend at the facility (usually 4-5). This way, I'm using different muscles than cycling, or using the same muscles differently. Plus I enjoy it. If I do the ocean, then while my activity is even more casual, it is still a workout, and I believe the cool water further stimulates the metabolism to burn calories. Between the two activities, this is a pretty physical day. Male, 67yo, a few age-related issues, the least of which is overweight. This all makes a great seasonal fitness program (in winter, I substitute gym work for swimming). Sometimes, with the family, it's just a pool/ocean relax day with some attention to fitness swimming, without the bike. Full disclosure: last year was pretty much a bust for the total program and I did what I could around covid constraints; this year, the rules have relaxed. With things going on in life, I find it challenging to get more days at the pool per week.
  • bethann551
    bethann551 Posts: 5 Member
    I swim before work for about an hour almost every day (5:15 a.m.), then a long swim on Saturdays. I am not fast, but I am persistent. My goal is 500 miles this year. Having that long term goal gets me in the pool on mornings when I just want to stay in bed. Yes, coffee at the end is my reward, too! That said, on Saturdays when I have coffee first I swim much faster.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    We have a group here called "Swimmers!".
    Come check it out. We have all skill levels.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I shoot for 3 -4 times a week.

I mix up a day with shorty fins, a day of mixed strokes and kickboard, and a day of straight freestyle.

I shoot for at least a mile (36 laps) but usually do 40 . . , and occasionally get in 1.5 to 2 miles
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    I swim in my pool 3x a week and walk 3 days a week with 1 lonnnnnnnnnnnng walk on Saturday's