Why is losing weight so hard for me :(

Hi, I've been trying to lose weight over years. It has not worked, give or take a couple of pounds lost. I really want to try to lose weight naturally or I'm thinking of having the surgery (which I really don't want).. I have hypothyroidism so that is another concern. I am 330 and would like to lose a least 80 to 100 pounds. I can't blame my thyroids all because I never stay consistent and exercise. I always find myself going back to old habits in a matter of weeks. Help.. Any suggestions...

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Why do you go back to old habits? What are you eating? Most of the time it's because people don't eat enough high bulk low calorie food that they feel unsatisfied and hungry. Are you feeling that way? Or do you go back out of comfort? What changes do you make that you find unsustainable? Maybe you need a different approach (if you are trying to cut out everything you like or make drastic changes) so that they are sustainable long term.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    You can do this, you've been given a lot of great advice. Keep coming back here utilizing this app and community a little at a time and you will eventually reach your goals. The goal is to keep pushing forward 🤗
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Lots of great advice above!

You might find the "Half Size Me" podcast inspirational and helpful. Here's a link to Heather's "Breaking The Diet Cycle" ebook:

https://www.halfsizeme.com/freebies-page/

About Heather:

https://www.halfsizeme.com/about/

"Starting at over 300 pounds after the birth of my first son, I went on to lose 170 pounds over the next five years.

Despite numerous false starts, binge eating, and too many obstacles (both physical and mental) to list here, I lost the weight naturally through a healthy diet and weight loss."
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    LadieTink wrote: »
    Hi, I've been trying to lose weight over years. It has not worked, give or take a couple of pounds lost. I really want to try to lose weight naturally or I'm thinking of having the surgery (which I really don't want).. I have hypothyroidism so that is another concern. I am 330 and would like to lose a least 80 to 100 pounds. I can't blame my thyroids all because I never stay consistent and exercise. I always find myself going back to old habits in a matter of weeks. Help.. Any suggestions...
    You just ANSWERED you question.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jbanta07
    jbanta07 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hey,

My suggestion would be to truly utilize MFP to evaluate other things happening in your life. If you are returning to old habits, it's likely because you need to make meaningful change in other areas of your life. Are you stressed out a lot? Are you not getting enough sleep and therefore tired? Are you struggling to find time to prepare and eat balanced meals? Is the food you eat, while healthy, uninspiring and boring? Are you making too many changes at once?

There are a lot of factors in our lives that can knock us off our path. So when you log your food honestly, and you see that you ate a muffin with lunch, ask yourself why that happened. Don't shame yourself or feel guilty, instead evaluate these specific occurrences so you can try to make changes moving forward.

For me personally, it's a bit of all the things I mentioned above. I couldn't lose weight efficiently until I found balance in other parts of my life. I noticed I was tired all the time, so for me, losing weight started by getting a routine sleep schedule down. Cutting out caffeine helped me fall asleep faster at night, and also lessened my daily anxiety. These two things helped me feel better mentally. With more energy, I felt I could resist urges and instead make healthier food choices. But then I noticed the food I was eating was really boring, and often time consuming to make (which made faster, unhealthy meals seem more attractive). So I found healthy recipes of foods that I really enjoy that were reliable and fast to make so that when I was stressed or short on time, I could still fill up on something healthy.

Slow down, evaluate what changes you need to make in your lifestyle, and then work on one thing at a time. Once you feel confident that you have adopted a new healthy habit, then move on to the next goal. It's easy to feel impatient, but if we take on too much at once, it is easy to become overwhelmed and then drop everything.
  • candysashab88
    candysashab88 Posts: 71 Member
    Ok i have been at this for a month and I am not losing and im tracking and healthy for a 51 yo. Iam trying to up my game, but im on 1200 calories trying to work out and still not losing 1 -2 lbs a week. IM a bit flummoxed actually im upset. lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Ok i have been at this for a month and I am not losing and im tracking and healthy for a 51 yo. Iam trying to up my game, but im on 1200 calories trying to work out and still not losing 1 -2 lbs a week. IM a bit flummoxed actually im upset. lol

Hey - you'll get better help if you start your own thread on this topic :)

Before you do, please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • futuresylph
    futuresylph Posts: 2,178 Member

Perhaps 1200 calories isn't a reasonable target for you. What does MFP recommend?