60 yrs and up

Replies

• texokie2020
    texokie2020 Posts: 45 Member
    @michaelhardie13 I would say yes since your body has to work harder at staying cool 😉. We've been having temps in mid-high 90's with heat index in the triple digits so far this month but this morning rain moved in which lowered our temps! For the next 6 days only getting up to the low-mid 80's with good chance of rain every day...I'll take it! Me and this heat don't get along lol.
  • texokie2020
    @Evamutt i know exactly what you mean about tracking. I started getting serious enough to start tracking 2 days ago. I learned that weighing and measuring everything is a job in its self! I'm hoping it gets easier the more I do it!
  • williamslaura2000
    williamslaura2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    This year I've been losing & gaining the same 3 lbs. This time I'm determined to keep going. It's easier to track when I eat 1 ingredient foods like a ground turkey patty, piece of chicken & veggies but today I'm making chili verde in the crock pot ( weighing the pork will be easy) also making lentil stew. I did save it in my recipe builder before so may have to make adjustments but I don't feel confident it being the same as before. Hope everyone has great week end

I’m in that same three pound rut. I get motivated, but it is tough to keep it up with such minor results! I’ve been carrying an extra 20 pounds for about three years now. I’m in kickstart mode. Trying to watch carbs and get moving again.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    @Evamutt i know exactly what you mean about tracking. I started getting serious enough to start tracking 2 days ago. I learned that weighing and measuring everything is a job in its self! I'm hoping it gets easier the more I do it!

Yes, it gets easier. Weighing is much quicker & easier than measuring with cups/spoons, too. If you haven't learned the tricks yet, ignore the joke/clickbait title and read the tips in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive#latest

(It's really a discussion thread about how, *if* you want/need to weigh food, to do it efficiently.)
  • texokie2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes, it gets easier. Weighing is much quicker & easier than measuring with cups/spoons, too. If you haven't learned the tricks yet, ignore the joke/clickbait title and read the tips in this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10498882/weighing-food-takes-too-long-and-is-obsessive#latest

(It's really a discussion thread about how, *if* you want/need to weigh food, to do it efficiently.)
    Thank you for the link. I'll definitely check it out.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thank you for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Agree with Anne, weighing food is definitely a good habit to acquire.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    This year I've been losing & gaining the same 3 lbs. This time I'm determined to keep going. It's easier to track when I eat 1 ingredient foods like a ground turkey patty, piece of chicken & veggies but today I'm making chili verde in the crock pot ( weighing the pork will be easy) also making lentil stew. I did save it in my recipe builder before so may have to make adjustments but I don't feel confident it being the same as before. Hope everyone has great week end

I seem to be going round in circles too!
  • texokie2020
    Since I started tracking my food (honestly) I've been shocked at how many calories I've been eating! No wonder I haven't been able to lose. MFP has my calories set at 1200 a day. I've been eating around 2,000! I've always been an emotional eater, and this past year has been hard. Had a shoulder replacement surgery, lost my job then Covid hit and everything pretty much closed. I started feeling trapped which led to pretty much all day snacking. I'm trying to get over the snacking, one thing is for sure...tracking everything I eat is going to be a big help in getting over all that snacking! You don't realize what you're eating till you see it all written down!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Since I started tracking my food (honestly) I've been shocked at how many calories I've been eating! No wonder I haven't been able to lose. MFP has my calories set at 1200 a day. I've been eating around 2,000! I've always been an emotional eater, and this past year has been hard. Had a shoulder replacement surgery, lost my job then Covid hit and everything pretty much closed. I started feeling trapped which led to pretty much all day snacking. I'm trying to get over the snacking, one thing is for sure...tracking everything I eat is going to be a big help in getting over all that snacking! You don't realize what you're eating till you see it all written down!

Yes, tracking absolutely can turn a light bulb on, can't it? 😉😆

What loss rate did you ask MFP to give you? 1200 is the minimum it will give a woman as a goal. That has 2 implications: (1) You might not lose at the targeted rate, if that loss rate would put you below 1200; (2) If you would theoretically lose 2 pounds a week at 1200, you'd expect to hold steady in weight at 2200.

That's all ignoring the effect of intentional exercise, which of course MFP would expect you to log and eat back a reasonable estimate of, on top of base calories.

I suppose there's also a (3): If 1200 feels too low, and you asked for 2 pounds a week loss, you might get a higher calorie goal by going for a somewhat slower loss rate.

Wishing you success with your new insight about your calorie intake!
  • texokie2020
    @AnnPT77 im set at 1 pound a week. I just need to get a hold on my eating. But like I said earlier, tracking has really been an eye opener. I know I can do this once my mind is set to it. Baby steps...first being dedicated to tracking then get a eating plan set. I know I don't won't to follow any kind of diet cause those never work for me, for now I'm thinking "just watch what I eat".
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Good luck Coleen!
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Hi I'm 71 and looking for some friends on here.
    I've returned to MFP after four years having put all my weight loss back on. :(
    It looks like the friends I had before have all given up. So I need to lose about 20lbs and could do with some encouragement.
    I don't know why my text is so small and I can't see anyway to enlarge it
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    Hello everyone. I'm new here and would like to join the group. I'm 63 and need to lose 90 lbs. I'm needing motivation and am hoping being part of a group will give me that motivation! I start the day by tracking my food but for some reason during the day I just quit tracking, need to break that habit for sure.

You might try logging all your food for the day in the morning. I do that sometimes and it gives me a plan for the day. I'm less likely to go off the rails if I have already logged the food.

Drive by check-in. No significant change in my wife's situation. Hanging in there.

That works for me, I like having a guide for my eating throughout the day. I try and make my last meal with things I really like, It gives me something to strive for.
  • Simply_jae
    Simply_jae Posts: 8 Member
    71 and looking for friends to encourage and be encouraged...we can do this
  • snaxandpop
    snaxandpop Posts: 71 Member
    61 Here! I need to play with friends my own age, LOL. Add me to your group or friends list
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Welcome to all the new folk.
    Good luck ! We’re all here to help and support each other.
  • tltessier6793
    tltessier6793 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, I just started and looking for someone to connect with who is more my age 71.... Is there anyone who feels the same way?