Any way I can predict when I'll start seeing results?

Hi! 23yo F, 5'7" and I weigh 170lbs. I've never worked out before but I began my journey 4 days ago!

My current plan is to run a mile a day, takes me about 15 minutes. I weight lift (I've always had really skinny arms) for 10 minutes, and I fill out the rest of an hour (35 minutes) with moderately-intense biking. I'm excited to see change, especially in my core. Am I doing this efficiently enough to see change within a month?

Replies

• kerrbear012
    kerrbear012 Posts: 2 Member
    Oh right, I'm eating less than 1000 calories a day
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,102 Member
    Lifting weights 10 minutes a day isn't going to get you much progress. Especially if you're only targeting arms?
    Also, muscle grows during recovery, so doing the same workout/exercising the same muscles daily generally isn't recommended.

I'd recommend following a decent beginner weight lifting program, you'll get some ideas here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

PS: you don't mention what kind of results you're looking for. But exercise is only part of it, so don't forget the nutrition side of things (amount of calories, sufficient protein intake).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2021
    Oh right, I'm eating less than 1000 calories a day

Okay, don’t do this. You like your hair, don’t you? Don’t want it to fall out? How about your muscles, you are working hard so you want to keep or even grow them, right?

Instead of making it up as you go along, put your stats in MFP and chose a rate of loss appropriate for how much you need to lose. In your case, you are overweight, but not very, so you should go for maybe a pound, pound and a half, a week. MFP will tell you your calorie goal. Put in the calories gained from your running and biking under cardio, and eat those as well. Be sure to get plenty of protein to fuel your weight lifting.

If you are interested in weights pick a good beginning lifting program and stick with it, three times a week, usually takes less than an hour.

If you do this right, it may take longer to see immediate changes, but in a year you will look like a whole different person. I promise.

You didn’t gain the weight overnight and can’t lose it safely overnight either.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Good luck. I agree with the people above, don't push yourself too hard the changes will come if you keep at it. It won't be sustainable if you push yourself too hard