Stress and the plan

Does anyone else find that as soon as they are stressed/ low on time exercise or sticking to the plan is the first thing to go out the window?

On days when exercise would have to be squeezed in I find its the first thing to get bumped off my to do list 😬😬

Happy for any tips or tricks on how you make it fit into full and busy days

Replies

• confusionmaven
    confusionmaven Posts: 33 Member
    Yes. I have found this happens sometimes. I've been working on pushing past it and telling myself that exercise and "the plan" is for me. It's my special treat to myself. I talk to myself like I am mothering myself. I tell myself how much better I will feel if I stick to the plan. Sometimes I have to get firm just like I do with my kids. Most of the time it works. On the few times when it doesn't work, I always feel physically ill because of my choices and I use that to fuel my behavior the next time. "See? You should have stuck to the plan. Maybe next time you will." I know it sounds like I've lost it. Like I've split personalities, but it's keeping me going for now. 😂
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    Make it part of your day ... take the stairs, park at the other end of the parking lot, walk or cycle to and from work, walk at lunch, etc.
  • 36Carmen
    36Carmen Posts: 8 Member
    I try to exercise 3-4 days a week, which is going great. My problem is stress eating and drinking.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Absolutely! How I have got back on track is to force myself to set aside 20 minutes before bed, roll out the yoga mat, and put on a youtube bedtime yoga video (it's more like relaxation stretching - no pretzels included). It's a little act of self love that calms me, I get a better nights sleep, and it proves to me that if I can do that for myself, I can go for a walk at lunch or set aside some other time for other physical activity.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,238 Member
    Does anyone else find that as soon as they are stressed/ low on time exercise or sticking to the plan is the first thing to go out the window?

On days when exercise would have to be squeezed in I find its the first thing to get bumped off my to do list 😬😬

Happy for any tips or tricks on how you make it fit into full and busy days

I have an alarm set on my phone. I like to exercise in the evenings, and sometimes it gets away from me.

Also? If I don’t exercise it will make my diabetes worse. So not exercising is especially detrimental to my health. I do self talk reminding myself of this. And the fact that once I’m on my NuStep, I love it.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Make it part of your day ... take the stairs, park at the other end of the parking lot, walk or cycle to and from work, walk at lunch, etc.

I walk about 8km just doing my regular job! While I get a lunch 'break' i am unable to leave work. I'm short on time! Which is part of why when I get stressed it all flies out the window
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Many good comments above. For me it needs to be the first thing I do in the morning - then it doesnt get bumped off the list. Yes that extra hour or hour and a half sleep would be nice but in the scheme of things the workout you are doing is probably more important.

Its tough to make it a priority when you are taking care of everyone else - you need to take care of yourself as well - so do it when everyone else is asleep and get it out of the way - make the plan and work the plan.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    I don't struggle with the exercise side of it, but this might be because I almost never run solo; I've usually arranged to meet a friend to go with. If I do have to go alone, I have them all on Strava so they'll know I skipped it - great for accountability.

Food on the other hand.. When I'm stressed I'll snack on crisps/chocolate, so I allow room in my calorie goal for those, and I make sure we have some in; preferably in smaller portions about 100 calories. If I went shopping to buy chocolate, I'd buy a big bar and probably eat the lot before I came to my senses.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I struggle with all of it. One of the concepts I learned from "The Now Habit" is the concept of an "unschedule." What you do is to put the things YOU want to do on your professional schedule at the beginning of the week. If you want to run on Tuesday at 5pm, put it on the schedule. If there's a yoga class that really helps your stress level, it also goes on the schedule up front. Then, everything else needs to fit into what time is left.

Also, in this day of linked schedules, it demonstrates to your co-workers that these things are as important to you. Since I've done it, I've never heard a complaint. One example for me is putting my swimming on the schedule at noon on Monday and Friday, which is the only time my local pool offers 50m lanes.

The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
    by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
    Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QNVP7M/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HTJARPB6NYTT2E7FT1YB