What worked for you today?

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Eating dessert first. ... If, however, I carefully measure out my meal so I know my calories and portion sizes, then start eating with the thing I like most and add with something I am kind of 'eh' about (not dislike just not omg-yes please yum) I will actually stop eating when I'm full. I will also have absolutely no desire to keep eating just because I am enjoying the act of eating. Even if, for some reason, I do, I am at least continuing to eat broccoli rather than continuing to eat cake.

I LOVE this idea!
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Eating dessert first.

No, really.

I've realized that the reason the traditional 'fill your plate with veg or get a salad first so you're more full with lower calorie items' doesn't work so well with me is that I will absolutely eat that veg, and then keep going until I get to my favorite item on the plate, whether I'm full or not.

I will, furthermore, continue to WANT to eat more of the super tasty yummy thing at the end - and even if I stop, I will continue to want to eat more.

If, however, I carefully measure out my meal so I know my calories and portion sizes, then start eating with the thing I like most and add with something I am kind of 'eh' about (not dislike just not omg-yes please yum) I will actually stop eating when I'm full. I will also have absolutely no desire to keep eating just because I am enjoying the act of eating. Even if, for some reason, I do, I am at least continuing to eat broccoli rather than continuing to eat cake.

This is so eye-opening! I never even realized I'm exactly the same. I'll eat my whole dinner and then even if I'm full I'll eat dessert because I've been looking forward to it so much. I'm excited to try your plan!
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Eating dessert first.

No, really.

I've realized that the reason the traditional 'fill your plate with veg or get a salad first so you're more full with lower calorie items' doesn't work so well with me is that I will absolutely eat that veg, and then keep going until I get to my favorite item on the plate, whether I'm full or not.

I will, furthermore, continue to WANT to eat more of the super tasty yummy thing at the end - and even if I stop, I will continue to want to eat more.

If, however, I carefully measure out my meal so I know my calories and portion sizes, then start eating with the thing I like most and add with something I am kind of 'eh' about (not dislike just not omg-yes please yum) I will actually stop eating when I'm full. I will also have absolutely no desire to keep eating just because I am enjoying the act of eating. Even if, for some reason, I do, I am at least continuing to eat broccoli rather than continuing to eat cake.

I'll have to try that.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    What worked for me today is reminding myself -- writing it down AND saying it out loud -- not to give up. I'm logging every bite accurately and working out consistently but the scale keeps going up. Up 1lb yesterday, 2 more lbs today...ugh.

I want to give up but I won't. I know weight loss is soooo slow for me (I've never done more than 4lbs / month), so I need to trust my plan and keep on keeping on. Consistent efforts will yield consistent results.

Isn't it depressing when this happens? I'm maintaining, but my weight was up 2lbs yesterday too; those 2lbs are off again today. I have no idea why! What I do find is that keeping records long term helps me to see trends and understand that these bigger gains are blips. (I'm also seeing an underlying gain that is not a blip and which tells me that I need to go back to logging, which I shall do after the summer.)

So depressing. It feels like every pounds is such a struggle and it's one step forward, two steps back. I am looking at it as a reminder to check my sodium levels, double check that I'm actually weighing everything instead of going by serving size listed on the package, and making sure I'm sleeping. And if I keep doing all that...I just need to believe that it will happen for me.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Keeping my commitment to myself to ride the indoor bike at the gym first before walking with a friend. A few weeks ago I made a schedule for riding the bike and strength training. But if I do a long walk before hand, I don’t have good energy to push myself on the bike.
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Good for you!! It's so empowering to remember that we don't have to let food rule us, and we DON'T have to eat it just because it's there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!