Calling all runners...

Replies

• TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Hi everyone, how's the running going? I managed to get a run/walk in this morning between scattered showers. Hot and humid pretty much describes it, with lots more walking than running. I've been working on trying to increase my overall combined run/walk pace. Today I averaged a 16:40/mi pace over 4.24 miles on a mostly flat route. The last time (same route) was 17:15/mi, and time before that was 18:15/mi. My goal is a 12:00/mi pace by October.
  • BigDfromNJ
    BigDfromNJ Posts: 20 Member
    I didn't start running until 50! Never too old to start! Unfortunately due to COVID and an injury I had a year off, but now slowly getting back into my run 3min / walk 1min routine. Looking forward to signing up for a race this fall!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Nice one guys! Especially the idea from @TC_bluebonnet about running faster but shorter. That makes sense. I'll give it a go!
    Meanwhile week 2, day 3 done. So still only 2 mins of running but looking more like I can progress to week 3 without problem (at the end of day 2, I was wondering...!)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I ran 7 miles on Sunday, but was interrupted by rain and had to hide out in the car for a while!

I'm having trouble finding shoes. I used to love Mizuno Wave inspire, but the last model I tried(with waveknit fabric) was way too tight. I've tried and liked brooks revel and ghost. Has anyone tried the latest model of brooks revel? They changed it from a light cushion shoe to energize. Just wondering if they feel much different and if they last.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Done week 3, day 1. Nice change up - 3 mins running followed by 1.5 mins run (and same for walking intervals). Dare I say it felt 'easy'? 1st 2 interval runs were done on an incline too, so cool that it felt easy enough for me to think about finishing the downhill section (cool down) at a jog (and walking back up the other side of the hill to my home as my cool down). Decided to stick with the plan though. Need to find another route for the next run as that's a looonnnngggg cooldown otherwise (.5 mile).
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Sounds like you're all doing great! My walk/run yesterday was at the exact same pace as last time, but felt harder than before. For tomorrow's run I'm going to see if I can get started before sunrise. We'll see how that goes. 😆

Someone earlier mentioned looking for certain models of running shoes. Something to consider is looking on eBay. I've had great luck buying like-new used pairs of the brand, style and "model year" of the ones I like wearing. I check occasionally and then only buy them if I can see the shoes still have excellent treads, show none or nearly no signs of being worn, and the price is reasonable. Right now I have 4 used pairs in my closet that I haven't worn yet, but are available for when I need to replace a worn-out pair.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hey yall! I used to run. Countless 5k’s, 7 half marathons. I haven’t ran in 6 or so years. I hate that I e stopped, but life happened and I stopped counting calories, and running. I’ve started logging food again and after the scale reading this morning, I plan to slowly work my way back into running.
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    I ran 7 miles on Sunday, but was interrupted by rain and had to hide out in the car for a while!

I'm having trouble finding shoes. I used to love Mizuno Wave inspire, but the last model I tried(with waveknit fabric) was way too tight. I've tried and liked brooks revel and ghost. Has anyone tried the latest model of brooks revel? They changed it from a light cushion shoe to energize. Just wondering if they feel much different and if they last.

@DancingMoosie have you looked at the Hoka range? I was a Brooks wearer for many years but swapped over to Hoka and find their cushioning to be better for me.
  • roma7774
    roma7774 Posts: 26 Member
    Coming up to my 2 year runaversary completed my first marathon in June a week before my 59th birthday - now training for an ultra
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    At what temperature/humidity/dewpoint do people start taking their runs indoors? I am currently training for Ironman 70.3 WI in September. I'm not sure if running outside is better to train for conditions, or if it's better to run indoors where I cou,could, have a better run. The un wou,would, be temperature 89, Detroit 68, Rel Humiddity 50.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    At what temperature/humidity/dewpoint do people start taking their runs indoors? I am currently training for Ironman 70.3 WI in September. I'm not sure if running outside is better to train for conditions, or if it's better to run indoors where I cou,could, have a better run. The un wou,would, be temperature 89, Detroit 68, Rel Humiddity 50.

I try to plan on only short races in the heat - marathons as early or late in the year as I can - my preferred temp for running is 40 degrees. AND I LOVE my treadmill! I pretty much stick to indoors after it warms past 60, unless it's pouring rain. I LOVE to run in the rain!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Broke in some new shoes today (Hoka Cliftons)... first time in about 15 years I've gone with a shoe dramatically different than what I was used to.

Guess what... today's run sucked. Cognitively I know it's due to a variety of factors, but emotionally it's hard to not blame the shoes.

Stupid Hokas.
  • michelle_FR
    michelle_FR Posts: 191 Member
    whooooo summer running in the N. Texas heat is no joke 😅 Although it definitely motivates me to get my *kitten* out of bed on the weekends so I can hit the pavement before the temp and humidity hit 90 lol
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    edited July 2021

I'm currently training for Ironman Chattanooga in Sept. Temps on race day average in the mid to high 80's with 70% humidity. Temps in the 90's are fairly common. With that info, most of us are doing our long bike and run sessions in the heat to prepare for race day conditions. Beyond reducing your pace while in the heat, the key is managing nutrition, hydration and electrolytes when temps are very warm. This requires some planning before your training session, perhaps with "aid stations" set up to supplement what you can carry on the bike or in your run vest.

If you haven't already done so, you might also want to do a "sweat test" to understand your fluid loss so you can mitigate with proper fluid intake.

With that said, the 70.3 mile triathlon is my favorite distance to race. Good Luck!
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    Looking to connect with other runners. I’m a distance runner who prefers the marathon distance boy looking to run some more half marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and maybe some ultras. Current goal is to run a 2:30 by then end of next year. It will be a lot of work, but a fun challenge 👍🏻👍🏻 Feel free to reach out if you want to connect.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Looking to connect with other runners. I’m a distance runner who prefers the marathon distance boy looking to run some more half marathons, 10ks, 5ks, and maybe some ultras. Current goal is to run a 2:30 by then end of next year. It will be a lot of work, but a fun challenge 👍🏻👍🏻 Feel free to reach out if you want to connect.

I'm glad you're back!!!
  • MikeRunsDaily2021
    MikeRunsDaily2021 Posts: 68 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »

I'm glad you're back!!!

Glad to be back. Good to be back with positive and motivated people 😁😁😁
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    Sorry that this is probably more of a vent, but why do people think it's okay to comment on my run performance (or lack of) when I'm out on the bike/run/recreation trail? I was on my long run today and it already wasn't going well as I was having stomach issues before starting the run, and my shoe was rubbing me the wrong way and my heart rate was spiking.

A woman who was walking of all things, decided to comment to me that I'm moving faster than her and then later, a biker had to tell me something along the lines of keep at it or you'll get there or something like that.

I'm sure (or hoping) they were thinking they were doing well by giving me encouragement, but it only makes me feel worse because it just feels like pitty talk, like they think I'm going to just give up. It just draws attention to my many years of bad experiences with running.

But out of all this, I found out that I feel much more at peace when running the offshoot grass/dirt trails; my heart rate stays down, my legs don't hurt as much, I forget about everything else, and I don't constantly look at my Garmin to see how much longer my run segments is. I just get lost in the moment and go with the flow.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Sorry that this is probably more of a vent, but why do people think it's okay to comment on my run performance (or lack of) when I'm out on the bike/run/recreation trail? I was on my long run today and it already wasn't going well as I was having stomach issues before starting the run, and my shoe was rubbing me the wrong way and my heart rate was spiking.

A woman who was walking of all things, decided to comment to me that I'm moving faster than her and then later, a biker had to tell me something along the lines of keep at it or you'll get there or something like that.

I'm sure (or hoping) they were thinking they were doing well by giving me encouragement, but it only makes me feel worse because it just feels like pitty talk, like they think I'm going to just give up. It just draws attention to my many years of bad experiences with running.

But out of all this, I found out that I feel much more at peace when running the offshoot grass/dirt trails; my heart rate stays down, my legs don't hurt as much, I forget about everything else, and I don't constantly look at my Garmin to see how much longer my run segments is. I just get lost in the moment and go with the flow.

I get it. I don't want the attention from random people who intend to encourage me and offer support, either. In my brain, I understand that they mean well. In my heart, I just don't want them butting into my efforts. It's another one of those mental challenges that goes along with running. On my better days, I can retort to "You got this!" (most often said when I'm taking a planned walk break) with "Yeah, I know." On my worse days, I have both earbuds plugged firmly in, and I can pretend I don't even hear them.

I've been guilty of offering the same sort of encouragement, too - memorably, a girl in a race was walking, and I told her "You're not going to WIN like that!" (Honestly, neither of us were ever in the running. We were started way back in the slow people corrals at a race of 30k people.) and she didn't reply, but did start running again. She finished ahead of me, and I told myself "that's what you get." I hope she wasn't offended. I was just joking around. I was in a good mood. But I didn't know her, and I have no idea what she thought of it. But it seems like most people are more receptive to the well wishes than I am, so at the worst, she's probably forgotten all about it.

Just trying to commiserate. It's totally us, though. People mean well, mostly. I recognize that it's easier to accept the support when I'm in a better headspace, but when I am not in a good headspace at all, it tends to bring me down even further. I'm pretty sure if I want it to change, I'm going to have to work on my own things, rather than expecting the rest of the world to know that I don't want their comments.