WaistAways-July Chat 2021

Replies

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,090 Member
    07/08 exercise:

5,081 steps + 151 minutes bicycling (somewhere between low to mid intensity)
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 968 Member
    End of day check in ✅
    Calorie under budget
    50 minutes of pilates on the reformer
    30 minutes walking the dog in the forest
    30 bike ride with the kids

@ashleycarole86 Good job on the bike ride. I am better at biking now but it use to be nearly impossible. Good for you for sticking with it 👍 Hopefully the boarders will open up soon. We usually have a lot of Canadian tourists and it is weird to not see any Canadian license plates when driving around.

@jugar being a horse person do you always get on your horse on the same side? I always got on my horse on the left side. I have to get on my bike from the left side too. It just feels wrong to get on from the right side.
  • happimess01
    happimess01 Posts: 9,071 Member
    End of day check in ✅
    Calorie under budget
    50 minutes of pilates on the reformer
    30 minutes walking the dog in the forest
    30 bike ride with the kids

@ashleycarole86 Good job on the bike ride. I am better at biking now but it use to be nearly impossible. Good for you for sticking with it 👍 Hopefully the boarders will open up soon. We usually have a lot of Canadian tourists and it is weird to not see any Canadian license plates when driving around.

@jugar being a horse person do you always get on your horse on the same side? I always got on my horse on the left side. I have to get on my bike from the left side too. It just feels wrong to get on from the right side.

that's a lot of activity. So inspiring!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 968 Member
    PW: 226
    CW: 225

Really happy with my loss this week ☺ @jugar my weigh in will be late next week but I should be able to get it in on Saturday.

@happimess01 It was a busy day for sure! The pilates is for me and the rest is just keeping up with my kids! If I moved as much as my 6 year old I would probably lose 5lbs a week 😆
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 9,901 Member

I think just about all riders mount from the left. It is good to train horses to be OK with mounting from either side, but I don't know anyone who doesn't just use the left side. I think this comes from way back when - most men wore their sword on the left, so mounting from the right was very difficult and whacked the horse very rudely :grimace: But like you, I always get onto my bike from the left side too. I wonder if lefties prefer to mount from the right?

Yes please, I hope they open the border soon! I think I'll be able to go across now since I am a dual citizen and my family lives in the US, but I have to have both vaccines (which I do) and be tested one day before returning to Canada. I am not sure if I also have to have a test to cross into the US, but I'll find out soon.
  • CurvyCalorie
    CurvyCalorie Posts: 266 Member
    @jugar my steps for July 8 are 5,649
    Thank you!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    @jugar @conleywoods I would only mount from the right if it was more convenient to do so, but it always felt weird!

I am no longer angry with myself, but the feeling didn't subside until after I'd been for a run on Tuesday evening. Normally I sleep things off, and after the workout on Monday I woke up angry on Tuesday so this was clearly a big deal to me. My plan of action was to find a new trainer and be more proactive in chasing my end goal instead of fannying about solo. I've opted for a session with a sports injury therapist (there's a good article here about the difference between that and physio therapy), which is on Monday. Hopefully I've made a good choice and it'll lead to regular training. I'm looking forward to the session but also feeling a bit of guilt about not sticking with my current/previous PT. Unfortunately we can't make it work right now, and I would be doing myself a disservice if I kept holding out for a solution on that front.

I've been thinking a lot about what my goals are... I don't think I can measure what I want, which is resilience and a feeling of strength. I know what it feels like and I'll know it when I get there, but I'm not sure that feeling can be quantified. I'm not interested in focusing on fat loss with a trainer, and lifting a certain weight has never been something I emphasised. I do know that when I previously felt strong, I could clean and overhead press 40kg, and deadlift 80kg, so those numbers may become relevant. Resilience to me means being able to cope with exercise failure without injury, and trusting that my body is safely capable of what I ask of it - my expectations would not normally be unrealistic. For more quantifiable goals, I would like to be able to run 10k in under an hour, and I've always fancied being able to do a handstand.

Food wise this week I have been quite comfortable. We ate out on Wednesday and went out to the shopping centre last night but ate at home beforehand so we wouldn't be tempted. Takeaway tomorrow (it's my sister's birthday) and I might end up eating out on Monday too, but we'll see. Instead of buying a full size cake for my sister, I picked up 4 mini lemon drizzle cakes from M&S - calories per portion they're about the same as a whole cake, but without the danger of leftovers! I'm hoping we might get a (shorter) walk in tomorrow and possibly a run on Sunday, but it depends on my sister's movements as she's staying with us. OH has also received a load of paperwork etc to do for his job application, and I think a lot of time will be taken up with that. I'm on call from now until 6pm tomorrow, but this is a 4 day weekend for me, so I'm planning plenty of down time!
  • jugar
    edited July 2021
    Where did the day go? I had to clean out all the destroyed kale plants in my garden after the groundhog got in there again (grrrrrrrrr), do some re-planting, and set a live trap in hopes of taking the beast far, far away. I love little critters, but this one is a regular reverse Houdini - it can get INTO anywhere impossible, instead of out. And it loves kale even more than I do, if that is possible. Where are the foxes and coyotes, and why are they not doing their job?

@DD265
    I'm glad you have an appointment on Monday with the sports injury therapist. It looks like the right choice to me, and hopefully will get you on a good trajectory soon. An emphasis on functional movement along with appropriate strength and resilience is the best of all worlds. And handstands would be fun too! The little lemon cakes for your sister's birthday sound wonderful, too. Enjoy!

Friday weigh-ins have been a bit incomplete today! Here's the full list of everyone due by the end of play Saturday:

@marsipan100
    @Pearl4686
    @gak71 (maybe away on vacation?)
    @evangsimmons170
    @Micki48
    @sunny9847

Thanks!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    @jugar have you tried synthetic coyote urine spray? We got some from the local outdoors store and it kept the groundhogs away for a few days until the rain washed it away. Just need to reapply periodically to make them think a predator is near. We also have a live trap set up with some cantaloupe hoping that relocation is an option for the ones who aren't scared off.
    Good luck!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,249 Member
    Friday check in. Worked on clearing out all kinds of vines today. It is soooo crazy how fast the vines grow in the southern part of theUS. Yikes!! It’s a jungle out there. More to do tomorrow. Met my step goal today. I only logged breakfast then my daughter and granddaughter came over. Nothing after that. Water has been fine.

I have to do Pilates tomorrow first thing. Well, after weighing in. The scale has been up the couple of times I got on. Hope tomorrow is better.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,090 Member
    07/09 exercise -
    15,298 steps + 22 minutes yoga (low intensity)
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 680 Member
    Good morning, Saturday hurray BUT as I learned last weekend, I must watch out for random weekend eating - during the work week, much easier to be focused and stick to it. Last night was my loose eating night and that's fine...will watch it now for the remainder of the weekend.
    @jugar - woodchucks and a veg garden just don't mix...sorry to hear of your kale.
    @ashleycarole86 glad you've found that elusive shift in mentality and this group - a great combination to reach your goals.
  • jugar
    @jugar

CW 357.2 😃🌹💐🎉

I've been focusing on:
    Calories
    Exercise and
    Sleep

Now I press REPEAT!!!

Fantastic job! That's the direction - now, as you say, keep hitting repeat :heart:
    @jugar have you tried synthetic coyote urine spray? We got some from the local outdoors store and it kept the groundhogs away for a few days until the rain washed it away. Just need to reapply periodically to make them think a predator is near. We also have a live trap set up with some cantaloupe hoping that relocation is an option for the ones who aren't scared off.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion to make my shopping list fabulous. Synthetic coyote urine spray is just what it needed :lol: In French and English! So far, no luck with the live trap. I need some better bait...

• jugar
    OK folks! I just know you are having a fantastic weekend by the quietness in here :smiley: The week is ending - let's have the final weigh-ins for the week so that we can hit the tallies all up to date. Thanks!

@marsipan100
    @Pearl4686
    @sunny9847
This discussion has been closed.