2400 calories to build muscle and lose fat

Hey guys . Male 90 kg 174 cm. So last year I lost alot of weight (90 kg to 72 kg ) through cardio and a messed up diet tracking my calories. Gained it all back and started again last month . Went from 93 to 90 kg. Now I have a personal trainer to guide me . So I was eating 1800 calories before and now my trainer set my calories to 2400. The goal this time is to build muscle and lose fat . Is 2400 a good number to start with? Because I feel my maintenance might be way lower since it got messed up and lost alot of muscle . Or is 2400 a good number to start eating at rather than 1800?

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I’m a small 5’ 4” girl who can maintain her weight on 2400-2500 calories a day. I don’t do extreme exercise I just walk and do yoga at the moment. I’m currently losing weight on 2000-2100 calories a day. Metabolism can change and adapt to higher calories which is what mine did. I think your trainer is on the right track and 2400 calories a day sounds perfectly reasonable. Clearly 1800 calories was too low for you because you felt restricted and ended up gaining it all back because it was too extreme. You can eat 2400 calories and not feel deprived and get faster results because it’s more sustainable. Also according to an online TDEE calculator your maintenance calories should be 2856 for a moderately active individual. Remember slow and steady wins the race.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I’m a small 5’ 4” girl who can maintain her weight on 2400-2500 calories a day. I don’t do extreme exercise I just walk and do yoga at the moment. I’m currently losing weight on 2000-2100 calories a day. Metabolism can change and adapt to higher calories which is what mine did. I think your trainer is on the right track and 2400 calories a day sounds perfectly reasonable. Clearly 1800 calories was too low for you because you felt restricted and ended up gaining it all back because it was too extreme. You can eat 2400 calories and not feel deprived and get faster results because it’s more sustainable. Also according to an online TDEE calculator your maintenance calories should be 2856 for a moderately active individual. Remember slow and steady wins the race.

Oh perfect !I thought like my maintenance was lower since I lost alot of muscle last year and barely did any lifting . I'll see how it goes !!I was worried because last year i lost 17 kg and alot was muscle mainly by walking and a deficit eating random junk food.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Losing muscle does slow down your metabolism but don’t worry once you start building it back your metabolism will speed up back to normal!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    try it consistency for 6 weeks and see what happens. Only real way to know if it will work or not.

Im 79ish kg and maintain on about 2500 calories.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    The 2400 seems fine. I am a Female, 5'6" and maintain at 2550 calories a day, less and I lose weight. I lift five days a week and walk at lunchtime but have a sedentary job really.

It will be some trial and error for you but 2400 seems reasonable to start with.

Good luck.