Accountability buddy

Replies

• jennipooh82
    jennipooh82 Posts: 331 Member
    Hi everyone! Looks like we are all after the same thing (daily accountability & encouragement). A little bit about me... I just turned 46 and have been a yoyo dieter forever. This time I began my weight loss journey on 12/3 and used the new app "Noom". It worked great, and I lost 33 lbs. However, I still have 18 lbs to lose and wanted to try something different, so I joined My Fitness Pal. I'm really hoping this group will post daily, so we can help each other through our struggles. This journey is NOT easy but with support I know we can all succeed. I would love to know more about all of you. Let's get this thing started!

Hey, Tink!!
    I did Noom successfully for nearly 2 years! I would love to be your buddy, if you're interested! ☺️ I'm almost 44 and disabled. I lost 55 lbs with Noom, but I gained 5 back. (Thank you, stress eating! 🤦🏼‍♀️) I'm not able to exercise much, so no telling how much I could've lost. Either way, I'm not ready to give up, bc I still have another 50-75 to lose before I'm comfortable with myself. Also, I need to find low-impact ways to tone, bc I have a lot of flab goin' on. 😳 So, that's me! 😇

I’m currently on Noom and I am also doing well! Almost 15 pounds down. I’ve been on mfp for YEARS!! I’ve always come back to MFP because it is like home for me. I love everything about it- it seems to me I needed the psychology portion to help me fully understand the what and why I was eating what I was. Please feel free to add me for accountability. Id like to loose at least 50 pounds more
  • DeniseSalsera
    DeniseSalsera Posts: 15 Member
    Hi all. I've been on and off MFP for around 4 years. I miss the community the most and having to rebuild relationships is a pain but so worth it. Add me, let's chat 🤪
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    Welcome @jennipooh82 and @DeniseSalsera!

Congratulations on your success @jennipooh82! 🎉 It’s important to get at the root of the problem so we aren’t endlessly dealing with the symptoms. If you feel comfortable sharing what you learned, it would be interesting to hear more about the elements of psychology that developed your understanding of the problem so you could approach it more productively. Do you have some short term goals you’re working on to lose the final 50 pounds?

@DeniseSalsera - I ‘ebb and flow’ with my interaction in the ‘friends’ section of MFP because it’s set up for quick messages or ‘likes’ and I tend to be too wordy 😬🗣 🙊 but I try to be supportive. For me, this thread is a place to stay accountable by reporting my progress, reflecting on what I learned in the past week, and making adjustments to improve my good habits … while reducing the bad ones. We encourage each other and help provide ‘perspective’ when someone asks for suggestions, etc. Feel free to post some weekly goals and bookmark ⭐️ the thread if you want … or see if anyone has similar interests, goals or experiences if you prefer to make a direct friend request.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Here’s my weekly progress report and current stats:

Female, 55 years old (later this month) and 5’4” tall
    Current weight = 131.5
    Goal: 125 by the end of 2021

I was on vacation for two weeks June 11-26 and it felt so nice to reconnect with family and friends in my hometown. One morning, I sent a message to my family to see who could meet for dinner in the next couple of days and we got 13 people together that evening. I was so happy to laugh and catch up on everyone’s lives. 🥰 I had been in a bit of a funk about getting out again, even though I am vaccinated, but the dinner helped me readjust. I felt like my eyes needed to get acclimated to the light after emerging from the pandemic cave. We’re still more careful when interacting but it was wonderful to spend time together again.

I didn’t workout in the same way as usual during our trip but stayed active and met most goals:

-30 minutes of exercise (at least 5 days per week) ✅
    -10 minutes of daily abdominal workouts ✅
    -65 to 70 ounces of water per day ✅ (most days)
    -Stay within calorie target, preferably every day but definitely for the weekly average ✅
    -Sleep 7-8 hours per night (most nights)

I still need to do a bit better with my water intake but I’ve improved significantly so I’ll just keep focusing on it until it becomes a habit. I’m also going to try to be more consistent with the time I go to bed and wake up, now that I’m back from our vacation. It’s worth staying up a bit later to spend time with my 19 and 20 year old sons while we’re together but, I hear a regular sleep routine is helpful for the body to get into a rhythm, so I’ll look forward to feeling more refreshed in the morning.

I hope everyone is having a good week and finding success in reaching your goal.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2021
    I’m grudgingly approaching some tasks I need to get done today. I’m behind schedule with a few work projects and really want to make progress on some household chores. In case anyone is feeling a similar sense of dread, I’m posting so you know you’re not alone. Let’s crawl forward together!

Sometimes it feels as though we’re running or walking along the path, and other times we crawl or help each other gain momentum, but I appreciate this space as a place to process the emotions. I’ll leave them here and move on!

How is everyone else doing this weekend?

In the USA, we have a holiday on Monday, so I’m hoping the extra day makes up for my slow start. I hope others enjoy the weekend. The weather is beautiful outside so I’ll open the windows wide and let the fresh air in to energize me! Best wishes, Accountability buddies!
  • lianatherunner
    lianatherunner Posts: 45 Member
    I'm doing pretty well this weekend! I've had a few bad days with my diet. I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time with diet lately! I just keep making bad choices. Overall, I'm doing well, though.

I have two half-marathons coming up. I just did one in April and I've been running consistently enough that I know I can finish, but I would like to make it as easy for myself as possible. Unfortunately, I got a horrible blister on my foot yesterday. I need to buy new shoes.

I recently started lifting weights again, which is good! So I mainly run, lift weights and take walks and do cardio fitness videos at home.

I'm 42 years old and about 5'1“. I weigh about 128. Would like to get under 120, but we'll see. I have so much loose skin from all my weight loss, but it could be worse.
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Hey all!

I've just spent 5 days off grid in the woods with a group of friends. Lots of laughs, too much alcohol, some getting back to nature and just breathing.....it really was the reset that I needed to be able to face up to Monday and starting out in the Real world again! I did do some workouts so didn't fall entirely off track, and have more determination and grit to find some extra effort going forwards! Sometimes....when life swallows you a bit...you just gotta go hang out in the woods and forget it all :)

Hope everyone is doing okay!
  • erin3123
    erin3123 Posts: 20 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for an accountability buddy for tracking/working out/losing weight where we can be strict with each other to reach our goals. I want someone who will shout at me if I'm feeling too lazy to workout! I'll do the same for you :)

What I'm looking for:
    -weekly/biweekly check ins with each other to track progress (weight/measurements etc)
    -daily food diary sharing to make sure we still to the goals we set
    -daily fitness tracking sharing
    -other goals/progress sharing like water/sleep etc as needed

Ideally would be able to message on another platform like discord/email/whatsapp to keep in touch

A bit about me:
    I'm 22 years old and I lime in Scotland, time zone GMT (current time is 12:35pm). I follow a vegan diet and my main form of exercise is running. Currently training for me first marathon that's happening next year! I also like going to the gym but I'm notoriously inconsistent with it, ideally would be working out every day after work even if it's only 30 mins but I tend to skip if the weather's nice and just relax instead (need to break this habit).

If anyone's interested please reply here with a bit about yourself and if we sound like a good fit let's do it! Please share your time zone as well.
  • Jodiana91
    Jodiana91 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Erin3123 I have just come on here to explore whether anyone would be interested in becoming an accountability buddy too! What you have suggested sounds great, I would definitely be up for something like you have described. I am on the same time zone as you (Essex).
    I have just turned 30 and am also into running & the gym. I used to be a bit of a fitness freak and managed to lose 2 stone, I managed to maintain it for almost 2 years, but since the first lockdown last march and since having Covid I have managed to put it all back on which I am finding really depressing. I have ran a few half marathons in the past and have one coming up in 3 weeks, the problem is that I have completely lost my mojo with healthy eating and sticking to consistent exercise so it looks like I will be walking most of this one. I have tried to use MyFitnessPal again today but totally fallen off track again so was thinking it would be great to have a set up where someone can put me in my place and I can help them back.
    Feel free to add me as a friend.

:)
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    I’m grudgingly approaching some tasks I need to get done today. I’m behind schedule with a few work projects and really want to make progress on some household chores. In case anyone is feeling a similar sense of dread, I’m posting so you know you’re not alone. Let’s crawl forward together!

Sometimes it feels as though we’re running or walking along the path, and other times we crawl or help each other gain momentum, but I appreciate this space as a place to process the emotions. I’ll leave them here and move on!

How is everyone else doing this weekend?

In the USA, we have a holiday on Monday, so I’m hoping the extra day makes up for my slow start. I hope others enjoy the weekend. The weather is beautiful outside so I’ll open the windows wide and let the fresh air in to energize me! Best wishes, Accountability buddies!

I am crawling, but at least I'm still moving, right? (maybe, lol). I just love your posts and find motivation and encouragement in them.

I just joined a gym, literally two minutes ago. I haven't belonged to a gym in FOREVER. I used to work out with my sisters and hike, but we don't do that anymore so the gym in the alternative. I hate gyms. I feel like I'm in a fishbowl, and I know that's dumb because people really don't care what I'm doing. I bought some ear buds online and I'm trying to set myself up for success. I know that once I start getting active again, my food choices will improve significantly (that's just my pattern).

I'm turning 40 in eleven days (but who's counting). It's a dreaded milestone because I'm still single (divorced about ten years ago) and it truly marks the fact that I will not have any more babies. That's a tough one for me. I'm not where I wanted to be at this age, or doing what I wanted to be doing. But here's to "better late than never" and "I'm not dead yet" mantras!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @lianatherunner - It sounds as though everything is on track with your nutrition and exercise. Do you have a ‘personal best’ that you try to improve with each half-marathon or do you schedule the runs as a way to motivate your regular training? I’ve done a few 10-mile races but never tried a half-marathon. I’m from Boston and the marathon there is a big event. So, I’ve thought about training to enter the race to see if I could finish it but I could never commit to the preparation. We sometimes host relatives and friends who come to visit Washington, DC to run the Marine Corp Marathon (since we live just across the river in Virginia). We cheer for them along the course but I usually stick to the occasional local road race to support the various causes. I hope your blister heals soon and thanks for the reminder that I also need a new pair of sneakers.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @kiay131982 - A mental reset is so important. You’ve been busy and I’m really happy to hear you were able to get away to the woods and recharge with friends.

@Erin3123 and @Jodiana91 - Great timing! You seem to make the perfect Accountability buddy match for more direct support. Go get those goals!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited July 2021
    @highmaintnance - 😊 - Your comments really sparked some deep thoughts and emotions for me because I feel as though the ‘step back’ from the treadmill of life - due to pandemic stay at home orders - has only scratched the surface of the ‘new me’ … I’m in there somewhere but I have a lot of work to do!! My thoughts are quite random and disorganized but I’m capturing some things here so I can come back to sort through them eventually.

TL/DR Version - There is tension with growth and I have a lot to figure out, too.

Congratulations on joining the gym! Good idea to use your earbuds as a way to ‘center’ yourself at the gym. How’s it going? I like going later in the evening when it’s quieter at the gym. For a short time, I was using gym time as a place to watch Netflix, which motivated me to stay on the workout machines longer but it didn’t motivate me to get across the street to the gym. That’s right, we live just across the street from the local YMCA! I’m much better at showing up when I go with a friend or need to meet the personal trainer. So, I completely understand how it would be easier to meet up with your sisters!

If you like other options to supplement or replace the gym … A friend of mine used a ‘Meet Up’ group for hiking. She was married but she attracted attention from one of the other hikers and didn’t realize he was trying to date her. Maybe a hiking group could be a win-win for meeting new people … whether romantic prospects or just friends who enjoy hiking.

Milestone Birthdays - Age 25 was my most difficult birthday for some crazy reason. I think I had some ridiculous salary and career goals at the time. 🤑 Milestone birthdays can be tough! You might just need to give yourself a little time to grieve the loss of one plan so you can make space in your life for a new one. Arriving at our milestone birthday might actually help us feel free of the past and become the person we want to be. My birthday is coming up early next week — age 55 — and I am adjusting some expectations, too.

Difficult times can make the good times more enjoyable and satisfying With my soon-to-be 21 and 20 year old sons living most of the year at college, it’s been a year of reflection for me. Although I think I’ve been gradually encouraging my sons to be independent, I’m spending more time thinking about my own identity these days. On October 1, 2019, I started my own business when the government funding for my salaried position ended September 30, 2019. The new Executive Director took the organization in a ‘new direction,’ which meant he cut all positions except his high salary and one assist to help him. I’m so grateful I was able to secure some contracts and launch the projects in December 2019, just before COVID-19 spread to our area. It was a scary time with two college student and my husband retiring in February 2020. I imagine it’s more stressful for you with a young daughter depending on you and limited breaks from so much responsibility. For me, knowing we had health care through my husband’s retirement (though not cheap) made the ‘start up’ more manageable.

Change is hard - During the pandemic, the only area I could focus on (within my control … theoretically 😬) was health and wellness. So, that’s what I concentrated on throughout 2020. I was hoping to hit my goal weight by age 55, but I still have about 5 pounds to go. I’ve improved my strength and fitness so I’m happy with that progress.

Figuring out next steps - Now, I’m trying to declutter all the excess junk we’ve accumulated by the end of 2021. My husband is not very supportive about this - and I don’t mess with any of his items - but our (adult) kids like to pitch in and help. In some ways, I’m feeling tinged of ‘the grass is always greener …’ because of the tension some of the changes I’m making are causing in our relationship. To me, it feels better to inch into authenticity, instead of building resentment.

Anyway, change is hard! In the meantime, I have to figure out more about how my ‘empty nester identity’ shapes the future and make some bigger decisions — e.g., the best way to care for aging relatives while honoring their independence, shaping the direction of my work, determining whether my marriage/ husband will welcome (or at least adjust to/negotiate?) the changes, finding time to travel/ enjoy hobbies/ balance fun with meaningful (paid or volunteer) commitments, deciding where to live long term, etc.

Thank you! I’m glad we can process these changes in this safe and supportive space. Thanks so much for showing up, Accountably buddies! I appreciate you! Have a wonderful week!
  • cnathan5
    cnathan5 Posts: 2 Member
    are you still looking for someone? I am looking for a buddy? I'm looking for someone to do a daily check in - for food, exercise, mood.....truly to help me stay accountable especially on weekends when I tend to go off track.
  • highmaintnance
    @PatriceFitnessPal I feel like we are both going through many similar things. I could probably write a novel in response to your post, lol. Thanks for sharing the struggles as well as the victories! Have you read anything Brene Brown has written or listened to her podcasts? If not, I think you would love her. I went to a meditation class at least a couple of years ago and the leader read an excerpt from her book The Gifts of Imperfection and it hit me so hard, I had to read more. Love her.

So, I have decided that going to a new gym is very much like starting a new school. I was worried about what type of people would be there, are they judgmental, am I wearing nice enough clothes, where do I go, what do I do. It was comical how much anxiety I had......but I went inside anyway. The gym is one giant space and the path to walk back to the locker rooms is like walking a runway. I clutched my purse and tried not to look new. There were two college age women in the locker room so I went straight to a bathroom stall to avoid them completely, took some deep breaths and emerged when they left. I chose a treadmill in the corner of the giant space and chose an easy pace (as it was not a hair washing night so I didn't want to sweat too much). I spent the next 30 minutes literally watching everyone, figuring out what types of people were in the free weight area, or were cardio people, where the disinfectant spray bottles were located, what type of shows they had on the tvs, etc. After the 30 minutes I felt very assured that everyone was just like me, pretty ordinary. No one was really looking at others or gathering in groups to watch people workout. Basically, everyone was there to do their thing so they could go home. I chided myself for being so dramatic about the whole thing, wiped down my machine with the disinfectant that I newly learned the location of, and walked back down the runway like to the locker room like a super model. The mind can be the biggest roadblock, but of course I knew that because my mind tries to talk me out of, or into, many things that aren't positive.

Small personal victory! Does anyone else have any victories to share?
  • drollings2019
    drollings2019 Posts: 95 Member
    I'm sitting here staring at the motivational quote I wrote for myself (that I have taped right to my desk) feeling disgusted and mad at myself. Once again, I let myself get trapped in the same cycle I cannot seem to get out of. I was doing so good until I let the excuses start. It started with falling in the bleachers at a football game and twisting my foot. I quit walking for a bit because it hurt. That was only supposed to last for a couple days, but I just gave up completely. Then life and work got busy. I made excuses there too...then I quit eating healthy, wasn't making good choices and kept telling myself I would get back to it Monday. Well, a lot of Monday's have passed since then. Now I am right back where I started and feel horrible. And the bad thing is, even though I want to make a change, I am already thinking of the excuses. The next 3-4 months are super busy. Three of my kids are very active in sports and we have something going on each night of the week. I have about 15 minutes after I get home from work before the craziness starts. Can I make it work...with the right planning, for sure! I just have to do it and not allow myself to make the excuses. The problem is, with my history, I don't have a lot of confidence in myself right now. I put so much effort into everything else I do (work, my kids, etc) but I make no time for myself.

So, right now, I am not waiting until Monday. I started tracking my food again yesterday. I am trying to stay within my budgeted calories. I have gotten a couple brief walks in today. I am going to work on a time management plan where I can find some "me time" in all the craziness. And I am going to work on a meal plan for next week that will work with all our schedules. I may have to dust off the 'ole crock pot, but I HAVE to find a way to make this work. I just want to feel healthy again.
  • rebbecajean
    rebbecajean Posts: 4 Member
    Hello all, I just spent some time reading the last couple of pages of this thread and I feel like this is the right forum for me. Like a lot of you I feel almost desperate, and angry, sad, hopeful. I keep looking at 25 year old me who had no trouble maintaining her weight but if I'm being completely honest a lot of my bad habits were already present I just managed them a bit better. Found out a couple of years ago when I gained a lot of weight very quickly that I have Hashimotos which certainly makes it harder to lose weight but I've been stable on meds for 2 years so I can't just keep blaming my body for the way I treat it.

Trying to come to that place where I love myself enough to actually love myself. By that I mean, when my nephew comes over I make him eat nutritious foods and we limit sugar, we plan outings and go on walks. I do this because I love him. So why can't I love myself the same way. The answer is I can. I just have to believe I'm worth it.

I invite anyone who wants/needs a friend to add me. I've been on this platform for years. In the military it kept me meeting weight so I know it works. Just need to get back to doing it everyday and I think we could help each other with that.
  • highmaintnance
    @drollings2019 do you have opportunities at work to walk at lunch or walk to the farthest bathroom, park far from the door, take steps instead of elevators? I find that if I make small changes and ease new ones in every so often, I don't lose my mind as often, lol. Big changes all at once seem to set ourselves up for failure. When your kids are doing their activities, can you walk (even if it's pacing like a maniac) while watching them do their thing? Also, air fryers are amazing little inventions. I have a crock pot and an air fryer and they are both time savers in their own way.

@rebbecajean oh girl, I hear you! Brene Brown often says something that really resonates with me. If someone you loved came to you and told you what you posted here, would you shame them or judge them? Probably not, because you love them. We need to talk to ourselves the same way we talk to the people we love. If you have a hard time doing that right now, we can help you! Focus on the good decisions/actions you are doing and try not to always point out what didn't get done or the slip ups. It's quite a process to change the way your mind thinks. I read so many things about how to do it and I'm still just an amateur, lol.
  • drollings2019
    drollings2019 Posts: 95 Member
    @highmaintnance I have several opportunities where I can increase my activity and I was doing really good for awhile, I just got lazy and made excuses for myself. My goal is to start walking my mile before work again. And then get up and walk at least 10 minutes 2 times per day at work. I'm only focusing on calories and making better choices right now with food. I get frustrated trying to watch macros and I give up. That will come later. While talking with my husband last night, we decided that the full meal planning does not need to fall on me. He does a lot of the cooking (he is a grill master!), but we are always in the same routine every night where we are trying to decide what we are going to eat. I need it planned out or I won't make good decisions. So this weekend we are making a list of meals we all like and each kid is going to pick one for the following week. This takes some of the pressure off me and I know I will be making something they like. And, I love my air fryer!! I haven't used it as much as I should lately, but it is getting dusted off too!

This weekend is going to be a lot of organizing, purging and planning, but I am ready!!
  • Titaniumbones13
    Titaniumbones13 Posts: 7 Member
    I need one too! I have 135 pounds to lose.