July 11 Sign In

Replies

• alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    yes, yes, and yes. A good day

Just one pass so far, but I have a few days of vacation coming up that will be a challenge.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    @alligatorob Awesome day! Vacation days can certainly be very challenging.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited July 2021
    July 11:

✔️ EXERCISE: 220 minutes walking 11 miles into town and back.
    ✔️ CALORIES: 1252/1600
    ✔️ TRACK: Yes.

PASSES USED: 3/3 (3Jul)(4Jul)(Jul8)

❌ Yoga/stretching (daily) 8/11 (Jul4)(Jul7)(Jul11)
    😃 Strength training (M,W,F) 😃 Rest Day today. 4/4

Personal Challenges Met: (8/11) (Jul4)(Jul7)(Jul11)

"Push yourself. No one else is going to do it for you." ~Unknown."
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,259 Member

There are days when I exercise with purpose and push myself and other days where I go through the motions doing the bare minimum out of tiredness, laziness or boredom. But it's all good.

How's your exercise program? Do you change it up or do the same thing every day? If you find yourself in a rut how do you move out of it?

July 11, 2021

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Kitchen Closed? Yes
    Going "nuts" with nuts today? No (8 days-free )
    (I go "nuts" with nuts most times, trying to continue a good habit this month. Counting the number of "nuts" free days.)

Pass day 1/3 (this is for accountability to myself and my records).

Sometimes I change it at other times, I just go through the motion. But, I figure it is better than nothing. Thank you for UAC rules. I don't to say "No" for exercise. :)
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,089 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, almost 10KM of walking and hiking
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

In terms of exercise, I mostly walk for exercise. We live in Alberta, so we also like to get out to the mountains to hike. We also recently got bikes, so we've started to add that to the mix too.

I am also trying to do yoga about 5 times a week, but I fall short on that.

The only formal strength training I do is push ups, which needs to change here eventually, but I haven't had the push I need yet to get more serious about that. I do like lifting weights, but just need to figure out a plan.
  • ForLangston
    ForLangston Posts: 990 Member
    Pass day #1
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Thank you @LazyBlondeChef forva great opening post & to our fearless leader (amazing you walked 11 miles with a hurt back) @Mrs_Hoffer whose comments all week long are always so encouraging to us all!!

“How's your exercise program? Do you change it up or do the same thing every day? If you find yourself in a rut how do you move out of it?”

I was told to walk 10K steps a day every day for the rest of my life June 2017 by an esteemed transplant surgeon. She always took the stairs although twice the age of many of the nurses. She used treadmill every morning - at first mentally rehearsing her complex surgical procedures & as her career progressed, she switched to conducting classical music while she walked. She said, “10K steps - daily - (scoffed at rest days)” I said “Got it. Will do.” And I have.

Many say “I just walk”, but my walking/hiking every day about 90 minutes made all cholesterol numbers normal or low. Blood pressure is low. Resting heart rate is low. And it’s helped me maintain my weight loss.

I wish I could dance or go to the gym (Love weight machines & the whole vibe) or jog, but zero antibodies & an old ankle injury preclude them. I’d swim, but it’s only safe in a private pool or salt water. Brrrr.

Biking - I LOVE biking, omgbut the crazies here drive while on their phones. I should look into car-free biking trails!! Thanks @LazyBlondeChef 💕
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    7/11/2021

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? I did. I had dog walk duty first of the day and last of the day, and I also took her out for 2 miles in the sauna that is Tucson as the sun is going down. We were both pretty wiped when we got home.

Did I meet calories? Nope, not even with the help of the exercise calories which were, basically, minimal.

Did I track everything? I did.

One note about the hobby discussion of yesterday. Someone mentioned photography and it was like a light (a flashbulb?) went off in my mind. I took a photography class back in the day of 35mm SLRs and I truly enjoyed the creative part of the process. I wasn't so crazy about the developing part. :/ I'm often complaining to my kids that I wish I had a good DSLR instead of my phone. Although, truth be told, I am usually taking pictures when I would only have my phone with me anyways (bike rides/runs/long dog walks - okay, I could take an SLR with me on the dog walks). So I'm going to add photography to my wishlist.

Exercise? I get in ruts. I stay there because I'm basically lazy.
    I used to run and hope to start again when I can either get some new shoes or at least some new insoles. Now I ride my bike. My route is basically the same for all my solo rides, except each week, I try to get a little further. When I ride with my sister, we'd change it up. On those rides with my daughter, we're trying to keep it as simple as possible until her confidence outweighs her anxiety. So... same route. Pre-covid I was going to Planet Fitness with a friend a couple of mornings per week before work. We only really had time to put in a half an hour, so I'd do my best to mix it up a little - elliptical, treadmill, rowing machine, and the half-hour circuit they had in a back corner. Several years ago, I was going to a different gym. There I was mixing it up better. Yoga, Body Flow, Body Pump, and Zumba. Body Pump and Zumba were my favorites. The apartment gym is a disgrace but I really should go back and try to work on the machines. My upper body/core strength is rubbish. My legs? Meh.
    My flexibility? Pretty much non-existent. Who knew I'd miss yoga and body flow so much.
    All of these things to do and so often my inner boulder wins and I sit, like a lump on the couch, reading, where my only exercise is trying to keep the dog from pawing the skin off my arm because she thinks I'm sitting in her spot.

Good night/good day UAC family! I'm done!
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    @lesdarts180 Oh no, I am so sorry!
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,983 Member
    Yes, yes and yes

I continually try to add things like stretching and weight training intermixed with other things but I am consistent with walking everyday. It has become such a part of my life, that it is like brushing my teeth. I feel 'yucky' if I don't at least walk. It is rare that I don't.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    @lesdarts180 - oh no! Why do people think it’s ok to take something that doesn’t belong to them. It makes me frustrated and angry that happened to you.

As for exercise- I have always been active. 40 years ago I met someone with a key to the high school gym and pool. At 6am he would unlock everything and probably 2 dozen of us filed in. I and a few others swam laps, the rest played basketball. I’m sure that would never be allowed anymore but it sure was a sweet deal. Through the years there’s always been something….aerobics classes, TV shows, etc. I really enjoy exercise, but it’s because I find things I love to do, which “they” say is critical to staying active. And so right now I find myself getting very frustrated at myself and circumstances for the way I’ve slacked off. Clearly, I love to bike. I have a 300 mile trip the first week of September that I will have to cancel because I’ve ridden maybe 5 times so far this year. I have a half marathon in September that I should be training for but have barely put in any miles. I’ve let this happen mostly because I’ve gotten in the bad habit of sitting too long every morning drinking coffee. And with my soon to be retirement, it seems my work schedule is crammed full, mostly of my own doing. So perhaps I’m really just full of excuses which is quite unusual for me as I’ve never before had such trouble getting exercise into my schedule.

I mentioned the other day that my weight loss chart resembles a stock exchange ticker. Here’s the proof, from January 2020. Overall downhill, but with a definite uptick recently. aazjgd9euzus.jpeg
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? No. Had been hoping to get a nice walk in before heading back, but
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Probably not.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No.

Pass day 3.
  • DebyS137
    DebyS137 Posts: 4,389 Member
    k19uatvaksgz.gif~ ~ ~Waving Hello~ ~ ~ 7/11/2021~ ~ ~

Exercise for at least 20 minutes ..................................... ✅ ... 110 + min.
    Stay within my calorie budget for the day ...................... ✅ ... Sure am
    Keep track of everything I ate and drank ....................... ✅ .... Sure did

STEPS.......... 12.300+ ......... 80 m Walking .... 30 m cleaning ....

Today Was another Productive Day ... I am Staying on Track while Son & his fam are here
    I get up a few hours before them and fit in a couple of walks & chores ... then family time

Documenting CONSISTANCY For personal ACCOUNTABILITY

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    @rangerRickL will you continue to go back to AZ in the fall season? I'm currently having to re-construct my exercise routine because we are going back into the office after working from home for almost 17 months. I'm having difficulty figuring out what that looks like. Lol.

@victorious55 I feel the same way about putting a "NO" for exercise! I've gotten pretty good at getting out for AT LEAST 20 mins….

@ashleycarole86 I bet it's beautiful where you live! I'd love to be able to hike in the mountains! :love: I'm so jealous!

@madisonmolly2017 I first heard your story (of the surgeon telling you to get 10k steps/day) awhile back and decided that there was NO EXCUSE for me not to get 10k steps/day (min)…. Your weight loss and KEEPING it off for so long is such an inspiration to others! :love: As far as my back, I had taken 2 Aleve, plus, it doesn't hurt to walk.... what hurts is bending over or trying to stand back up from a bending over position!

@seilidhe it's so cool that you've remembered your love for photography! As far as exercise, it sounds like you have a lot of things that you could do. I'm basically lazy myself, and have an alarm set on my fitbit to "remind" me to get up and exercise at my pre-determined time…. Otherwise I find myself waiting until the last minute, and am often either too tired, or busy doing something else.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    @lazyblondechef You're always so consistent on your exercise schedule! I think you'll enjoy your new stepper too. It sounds like you have a good plan for changing it up so that you don't get bored with your routine! Good for you!

@lesdarts180 oh I'm so sorry about your bike! How disappointing!! I hope you didn't have too far to walk…

@znaoiec it's great that your walking has become 2nd nature, like brushing your teeth. THAT's a good HABIT to have!

@biketheworld what a cool idea to take a 300-mile biking "trip". I hope that you get to do it - if not this year, then perhaps next year! About 10 years ago I really wanted to try to hike part of the AT, but after a couple of summers where DH and I went down to TN and tried to hike a portion that went through the Smoky Mountains, I found out that my knees just couldn't handle that rugged terrain. It made me sad.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    @brisingr86 I think that vacations are difficult. In the past, I've put my calorie goal up to a "maintenance" level while I was on holiday and that way I felt like I could eat a little more than my usual, but still try not to go buck wild. I also have found that if I ate more protein and drank LOTS of water (before the meal) that I found it easier to stay within my boundaries. But in any case, I personally think that vacations are difficult! Oh, did I say that already? Lol. With 3 pass days, you are still eligible for the Winner's Circle, and even if you get a 4th pass day, I hope that you'll choose to continue to check in and be accountable for the month. Those that do are honored as "Champions".

@DebyS137 you are doing an AWESOME job -- even with your sons visiting!! Look at you! Very impressive!

THANKS @LazyBlondeChef for an insightful and thought provoking post! As always, I really enjoy reading everyone's responses and getting to know each one of you just a little more!