Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Sometimes organizing at the spur of the moment is as rewarding as completing a pre-determined task. That is what I did today.

I need to re-organize the cabinets in the laundry room, and today looking for something I ended organizing several shelves and tossing things that I don't need and adding a couple of things in the donation bag. It is late in the afternoon and almost time to get dinner ready, but I will do my best tomorrow morning to complete the task. If not, it will be done another day. One thing at the time, no rush, no pressure.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 - Do you read the journals later, or is it the process of writing that you enjoy?
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    JennFit5K wrote: »
    I'm at that age where I have a lot of things I don't need but can't throw out. What I have been doing is decluttering one layer at a time and getting a little more brutal with what I toss, recycle, donate, or sell. Right now I have 8 boxes of old books packed up for donation and a big box of old kitchen items I don't use. At least 8 bags of clothes and shoes have gone to charity as well. Every time I go through and get rid of a little bit more. My partner will be living here soon and I don't want it to be him moving into my place, we truly want to go room by room and make it ours. So I've been paring down and creating space. I know I'll probably need a tiny storage unit soon but I'm not there yet.

I would like to really challenge you to confront this idea that you need to keep things you don’t actually need. Why on earth would you PAY to store things you don’t need? Your things are literally going to cost you money. Seems really wasteful of both your money and brain power spent thinking about your thi e
  • Plasicage
    Plasicage Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What a great decluttering project on here! I could probably do 100 items too in a month, but I've always got sidetracked with just one item a day. Usually winded up from work, and not in a cleaning and organizing mind frame.
  • phildog50
    phildog50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Someone decluttered me because I hit the like button on someone else's meme and made assumptions of my personality. It ticked me off for a whole 5 minutes. I don't need to deal with stupid people.
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Matahairi wrote: »
    emotional vampires

best description ever!! thank you!
  • pennysob
    pennysob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Want to declutter but paid good money for some things, and don't have time to have yard sales. I just can't bring myself to just give some stuff away for nothing. Need suggestions on to get over the need to hold on to some things.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    You could just keep what you have, wrap stuff up to give as xmas gifts, and vow never to buy anything frivolously again...
    pennysob wrote: »
    Want to declutter but paid good money for some things, and don't have time to have yard sales. I just can't bring myself to just give some stuff away for nothing. Need suggestions on to get over the need to hold on to some things.

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I’ve enjoyed reading the good ideas and thoughtful reflections that have been posted about simplifying life by eliminating people, emotions, and things that do not contribute to our lives in meaningful ways. Thank you to everyone who has shared your thought process, strategy or action.

I’m continuing the challenge I set for myself this month:

Declutter items for each day of the month in July so the number of items corresponds to the day of the month. For example, one item on July 1st, two items on July 2nd, and so on as the days increase.
    I’ve been meeting my targets with the help of my son. Here’s an update from the last few days.

July 11 - It was my 55th birthday so I encouraged my sons to help me get rid of 55 items, instead of the target number of 11. On Sunday (7/11), They boxed up more than 55 books from their bedroom shelves and I called the library on Monday to coordinate a drop-off. The library donations begin on August 1st so I stacked the boxes in the mudroom and I’ll need to decide if I should wait or find another place to accept them.

July 12 - I sent a message to the parent outreach coordinator and administrative staff at the local elementary school to see if any new teachers or parents are interested in the books to start a classroom library or take books home for their children. I helped my sons go through their clothes and we donated over 50 items, mostly small things like socks and t-shirts but it’s progress!

I’m working on the 13 items for today by going through I pile of computer pieces and other electronic goods (e.g., outdated cameras, mics and audio equipment, etc.) from my old office. So, I’ll load the car tonight and stop at Best Buy and Goodwill tomorrow. I hope everyone else is doing well and making progress toward your decluttering goals!

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal

Awesome work! Your determination and organization is paying off, and congrats to your boys for helping you achieve your goal.

After the gym I went to the donation center to leave two bags of items, as I mentioned on July 11th. I checked the library in my local (gated) community and they are accepting books again. I had already selected five books that I was not longer interested so I took them today and they were very appreciative. I have more books to give away but I have to think what to put on the shelves to fill up the space once they are gone... ;)

• JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    pennysob wrote: »

@pennysob could you list things online? On eBay, a local buying or selling group or even Facebook marketplace? You won’t get retail for most things but you might be able to rid yourself of things you no longer need and get a bit of cash back too
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!