Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Tried to make an earlier post that got eaten by the site, apparently. Been too quiet around here as we head into summer.

I’m down to 174 on trend but really liking what I see in the mirror and the training plan I switched to. Having not done pure hypertrophy in a while the actual muscle soreness is a welcome change from the achy joints I’d gotten used to on the previous program. Diet-wise My intake is actually tracking even higher than previously, averaging 2750/day since my last post but trend still heading down.

Left picture was 8/1/2020 (pre-bulk, first thing in morning)
    Right picture was 6/16/2020 (Wednesday evening)

ajg644c3lzb3.jpeg

Good job!

Sorry i have been quiet. I have been traveling for work a lot and haven't been home for a weekend for the past 4 weeks. Even tomorrow i leave for Atlanta for a week away to see my BIL.

Still training and struggling to keep the weight down. I bumped up to 172 this morning from 166. So unintentionally bulk it is.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    edited June 2021
    psuLemon wrote: »

Good job!

Sorry i have been quiet. I have been traveling for work a lot and haven't been home for a weekend for the past 4 weeks. Even tomorrow i leave for Atlanta for a week away to see my BIL.

Still training and struggling to keep the weight down. I bumped up to 172 this morning from 166. So unintentionally bulk it is.

Thanks! That's the same thing that happened to me in August and I'm super happy I ended up leaning into it. In mid-September I looked back at the last month and saw a pretty defined inflection point mid-August so I just rolled with it.
  • psuLemon
    Slowly making some progress. Took a break from calorie counting because of travel schedules and vacation. I am doing keto because, ironically, it comes a bit more natural and allows me to suppress my insane appetite. Most days i barely think about food on the diet which is good. Lifts have suffered a bit, but that is ok. Been doing this since i got back from vacation... Down about 5 lbs. Almost back to where i am comfortable (164-165). Currently at 168.5
  • steveko89
    I'm also still plugging along, half-heartedly slow cutting/maintaining. June trendline ended up basically flat. Saw a 172.6 last Thursday but had a busy celebratory weekend for our wedding anniversary (Ramen Friday night, two amusement park visits in 90+ degree weather, swim lessons for the little guy) and I've been eating a ton since. Also coinciding with the highest volume/intensity week of this mesocycle so I've been holding some extra glycogen and have actually had some mild DOMS. Trend weight hanging out right at 175 and my observed TDEE is stable, if anything it's creeping up. Should make the next bulk interesting as that TDEE number is almost at the level I averaged through the last bulk.
  • Luluetduet8
    Luluetduet8 Posts: 49 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Right now, I am just focusing on making smarter decisions, with hopes of losing some weight. I just can't do calorie counting any more.. it's too exhausting. So I aim to get a good amount of protein and fiber. I still cut back on fats, but do incorporate some healthy fats (avocado/guac, eggs, cheeses).

Yea I'm not big on calorie counting either.. I can do it up to dinner, but then it gets hard because of how I cook and the way I eat my portions tracking was always a pain and I just ended up guestimating most of the time anyways.

Conversely, I never found all that much success cutting until I really locked down my logging, somewhat fanatical about it but I feel infinitely more in control of what I'm trying to accomplish. This time last year I was trying to cut but ended recomping/lean bulking for six months by inadvertently eating too much by combining lackluster logging and eating too many exercise calories (used a HR monitor to track my workout calories and ate back 100%).

I avoided calorie counting like the plague and was always attempting intuitive eating with very little results. I’ve always been “healthy” at 19-20% but never having that toned/buff look I wanted. Even when working out regularly. Calorie counting is really the only thing that has shown me progress and now I don’t think I can ever go back haha.
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2021
    Down about 5 lbs (some glycogen depletion) over the past few weeks, which includes some overeating on the weekend. So far no gym performance loss on the keto cut. See how long that will last. But feeling good when i stick on a strick ketogenic diet.
  • steveko89
    Down about 5 lbs (some glycogen depletion) over the past few weeks, which includes some overeating on the weekend. So far no gym performance loss on the keto cut. See how long that will last. But feeling good when i stick on a strick ketogenic diet.

Nice work, Psulemon.

I'm trending in the mid 175s still having attempted to eat all the things for the last two weeks or so (averaging 3000+/day) but both yesterday and today were at 174 so I don't think too much damage was done. We leave for a beach vacation five weeks from today, we'll see how much I can tighten things up before then.
  • psuLemon

Nice work, Psulemon.

I'm trending in the mid 175s still having attempted to eat all the things for the last two weeks or so (averaging 3000+/day) but both yesterday and today were at 174 so I don't think too much damage was done. We leave for a beach vacation five weeks from today, we'll see how much I can tighten things up before then.

Thanks. Best of luck before your vacation
  • steveko89

Nice work, Psulemon.

Thanks. Three straight days in the 174s have my trend moving back in the right direction. Looking at my monthly splits there's the been an interesting (at least to me) pattern of alternating months of steady loss and maintenance, the exception being the bump up starting at the end of June when I let things get lax around our anniversary.

My observed TDEE keeps creeping up, too. It's now up over 2700/day for the year and 2800 on three week trend and I don't have a good reason for it. I'm still running the same training program and NEAT should be steady in terms of steps and qualitatively in terms of other activities.
  • psuLemon

Nice work, Psulemon.

Thanks. Three straight days in the 174s have my trend moving back in the right direction. Looking at my monthly splits there's the been an interesting (at least to me) pattern of alternating months of steady loss and maintenance, the exception being the bump up starting at the end of June when I let things get lax around our anniversary.

My observed TDEE keeps creeping up, too. It's now up over 2700/day for the year and 2800 on three week trend and I don't have a good reason for it. I'm still running the same training program and NEAT should be steady in terms of steps and qualitatively in terms of other activities.

Nice. Last time i checked my TDEE was about 2600-2700. It was 3K when i did cardio, but ehh 😂.

I used today is a free/refeed day. It was mostly just a BBQ feast. Was low carb overall but probably close to 4-5k. I was a bit warn and my workouts were starting to get impacted. Hopefully things will get back.

Although, i have been feeling super lean but a bit flat.
  • psuLemon
    Small update. While i have been consistent with my training (5-6 days/wk), i haven't been following anything structured due to my back issues. At the beginning of the week, i decided to try the AthleanX BEAXST program as i know he works a lot of corrective movements into his protocol. Its a 3 day full body split with two corrective/conditioning days. After the first 3 days, i haven't been this sore in years. Program is pretty hard. So i will see how this goes. Weird trying the core daily though
  • steveko89
    I can never decide if I like Jeff or not, I'm curious to hear how your experience with that program goes, @psuLemon

This next part is for you fellow data nerds. Today marks four complete years using the reddit TDEE sheet (so daily weight and accurate calorie tracking required).
    Daily weight with rolling 7 day average
    0jfnqc7pyg9p.png
    Rolling 7 day averages for weight and daily intake
    e6l63z87mqiz.png

I'm noodling if looking at the data at this broad view is even actionable. Body fat went from 14.7% to 11.2% (last scan in May) over this span, which is probably more meaningful than any of this data. Thinking about how much is different and similar at least an interesting thought experiment. I wish MFP let us go back that far to see diary data, all I have is the total calories, not macros or meals; I'm really curious how my diet has evolved.
  • psuLemon
    edited July 2021
    I can never decide if I like Jeff or not, I'm curious to hear how your experience with that program goes, @psuLemon

This next part is for you fellow data nerds. Today marks four complete years using the reddit TDEE sheet (so daily weight and accurate calorie tracking required).
    Daily weight with rolling 7 day average
    0jfnqc7pyg9p.png
    Rolling 7 day averages for weight and daily intake
    e6l63z87mqiz.png

I'm noodling if looking at the data at this broad view is even actionable. Body fat went from 14.7% to 11.2% (last scan in May) over this span, which is probably more meaningful than any of this data. Thinking about how much is different and similar at least an interesting thought experiment. I wish MFP let us go back that far to see diary data, all I have is the total calories, not macros or meals; I'm really curious how my diet has evolved.

Yea, i have been super hesitant for years. Overall, his advice is solid but it's more directed at athletes as compared to powerlifters/bodybuilders. Tomorrow is the last day of the first week and even at the middle difficulty, its exhausting. I plan to run the programming for at least 6 months.

ETA: great progress.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,887 Member
    Thanks. Three straight days in the 174s...

Gotta admit, just based on your profile pic, I assumed you were easily in the 220's. Shows what I know from looking at a pic.
  • steveko89
    nossmf wrote: »
    Thanks. Three straight days in the 174s...

Gotta admit, just based on your profile pic, I assumed you were easily in the 220's. Shows what I know from looking at a pic.

Oh man, did that make my morning. I'd be ecstatic to be able to be 200 and relatively lean, let alone 220.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    After 12 months of eating at way too much surplus...think chocolate pudding with whipped cream and strawberry trifle...I'm finally cutting.

It's good, I'm ok as I can get a good amount of food in with reduced calories so far but a few days in I did feel it.

12 weeks goal, 3 weeks in, let's see where it takes me.cycm0bwokfoe.jpg
  • steveko89
    e0a1vbjgesot.png

July could’ve been better on the loss front. I feel like I’m watching the same movie as last year, just at about 1lb higher. Less-than-ideal intake yesterday spending the majority of the day with my in-laws for FIL’s birthday so I don’t even feel like I’m in a good enough spot to start a bulk this morning but kinda did yesterday morning (before donuts, pizza, and cake)
  • psuLemon
    Small update. While i have been consistent with my training (5-6 days/wk), i haven't been following anything structured due to my back issues. At the beginning of the week, i decided to try the AthleanX BEAXST program as i know he works a lot of corrective movements into his protocol. Its a 3 day full body split with two corrective/conditioning days. After the first 3 days, i haven't been this sore in years. Program is pretty hard. So i will see how this goes. Weird trying the core daily though

Update. Weight wise, its been kind of stagnant. I have had a party where i destroyed food, so there is that. And i had travel 2x. So i didn't expect to lose much this month.

Completed the first 30 days of the AthleanX BEAXST program. So far, i am a huge fan. I like the 3 days of full body with the 2 regeneration days.

Still working on my back but it has held up even with sqauts and deadlifts. So happy about that.

I do suspect i am recomping a bit. I have seen improved definition.
  • psuLemon
    edited August 2021
    Fundamentally, the below data doesn't make sense. I did a carb increase (not a refeed) and mini diet break this weekend. Put calories up from 1800 to around 2200 and went from 50-80g carbs to 150g and my weight has had some big drops. Decided to keep my carbs higher to see how things go.

Side note: i am feeling super lean as well.

qvdwgg511t80.jpg
  • steveko89
    Fundamentally, the below data doesn't make sense. I did a carb increase (not a refeed) and mini diet break this weekend. Put calories up from 1800 to around 2200 and went from 50-80g carbs to 150g and my weight has had some big drops. Decided to keep my carbs higher to see how things go.

Side note: i am feeling super lean as well.

qvdwgg511t80.jpg

Maybe dropped off some accumulated cortisol?