• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,713 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lkpducky wrote: »
    I like to reward myself with bears.

More likely that the bears reward themselves with you? 😮

Beer spray or bear spray. Which is it?

Perhaps some don't fully understand the very capable, outdoor-centric charm that is Mr. @NorthCascades, not sure? 🤣

Oh, I’ve seen and admired the photos. Especially the wildflower meadows!

Please forgive Ducky’s quacked sense of humor 🦆🦆
    Seriously, your photography and stories are wonderful.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member

I’ve been face to face with a few bears.
    I gotta say, I prefer a nice stinky cheese as a reward.
    But bears, eagles, and deer are a close second.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    What kind of beer are we talking here?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

I’ve been face to face with a few bears.
    I gotta say, I prefer a nice stinky cheese as a reward.
    But bears, eagles, and deer are a close second.

Me too. Always a treat to encounter majestic wildlife. It can reset your day mentality, at least for me it takes me out of whatever rabbit hole I might have been in and I start thinking about things like how powerful humans are as a species but in that moment I'm just another animal in the woods, and a relatively weak one at that. Leaves you with a profound awe for life.

We don't have grizz hehe and our bears are notoriously shy, so it's very different from, say, Glacier Park in Montana.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2021
    I VERY much dislike encountering bears. The only time I ever do is walking my dogs, and then even if they run into the woods I am looking over my shoulder on my entire (as fast as possible) walk home.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    At least it wasn’t a cinnamon roll AND a black bear. That sounds like a losing proposition for sure!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Well now in honor of this thread in bringing a cinnamon roll on my next meadow hike. 😃
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Well now in honor of this thread in bringing a cinnamon roll on my next meadow hike. 😃

But please, try to avoid any close encounters with bears or any other hungry large animals, though... :#
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    It should be a bear claw, not a cinnamon roll 🐻
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    edited August 2021
    Yep. When you want to crack open a nice Hopslam...then you have to have an idea of where you are burning those 300 calories from lol.

There are a couple breweries near me with 'running clubs' that are not necessarily social clubs (unfortunately) but if you sign in and 'log' your run with them (they provide a map of several routes of varying distances) .... then you get some swag. You do have to pay initially to be a part of it...which I don't necessarily get but you get $2 off your first beer on the day of your run, after so many runs you can get a T-Shirt, pint glass, free 6pk, etc. Kinda cool if I lived closer and it wasn't an urban environment where I had to run on a sidewalk (my knees significantly notice cement vs. asphalt) and I didn't get cat-called/beeped at every 10 min enjoying breathing in the smog. LOL.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss :)

I like my dranks and my walks as well, but can confirm one thing said in this thread: you're not burning all of the beer calories on your walk.

Mfp's exercise calculator has an unfortunate tendency to count your base calorie expenditure into your exercise calories, which can be significant for low-burn activities like walking. I'm terrible with imperial measures, but 1.5 miles comes out to ~5km round-trip which would be about 150-160 net calories burned, not even a pint...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Congrats on the weight loss :)

I like my dranks and my walks as well, but can confirm one thing said in this thread: you're not burning all of the beer calories on your walk.

Mfp's exercise calculator has an unfortunate tendency to count your base calorie expenditure into your exercise calories, which can be significant for low-burn activities like walking. I'm terrible with imperial measures, but 1.5 miles comes out to ~5km round-trip which would be about 150-160 net calories burned, not even a pint...

What if he kept peeing on those walks? :)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    gdc2506 wrote: »
    Contrary to the Naysayers in this thread.... I'm currently down 13 pounds since posting this and 19.6 pounds overall. Thanks for the encouragement. (roll eyes)

Did anyone nay say that?? - I thought all comments were either constructive or deliberately flippant and fun about bears etc

Didnt see any nay-saying. :*

What encouragement were you after?

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Using beer as motivation sounds like a route to an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss, what's your goal?