• BEE3FAM
    BEE3FAM Posts: 12 Member
    Keep up the great work!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    Sand_TIger wrote: »

Brilliant as always! Thank you!

On the question of measuring, and keeping track of where you have come from: this is really important for me because I forget. When I was losing, I would think "I've been stuck at this weight for weeks/months" but then would look at my spreadsheet and realise that my monthly average was down. Or recently I thought "I am exercising but nothing is changing," and then I compared photos taken that day with photos last September, or even six weeks ago and can see changes. I have learned that I need to take photos and keep records so that I can recognise what has changed.

This is so true. The subtle changes are sometimes hard to recognize when they happen gradually. Someone who hasn't seen you in awhile will easily notice changes while someone who sees you every day (like yourself, LOL) might not notice. It's great to have a record to look back on and compare.
  • mssue18
    mssue18 Posts: 117 Member
    Excellent blog entry. I really enjoyed reading it whether I’m a beginner or not. It helps at any point in this journey again and again.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Latest blog entry! This has been a real weak point of mine.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Sand_TIger/view?id=portions-992753
  • jenilla1
    Was that you I saw over on the NSV thread rocking some deadlifts? I thought you said you weren't really working on weight training...sneaky...

I haven't been back to the gym since the pandemic started and the weights I use at home aren't super heavy, so I've adapted by doing more reps at the lower weight, otherwise I'd challenge you to a deadlifting contest. 🏆

But honestly, after so long without the really heavy stuff, I have no idea what I could lift at this point. You're probably way stronger than me.

Congrats on your NSV! Keep it up. Weight training has given me great aesthetic results, but those strong, supportive muscles have also had the awesome side effect of increasing my running/biking pace and endurance AND helped me prevent injury. (Before weights - when I was younger 12+ years ago - I used to get all these annoying little injuries and aches and pains from running. But now, I can't even remember the last time I got injured, except that it was before I started strength training.) I'm not getting any younger, so anything I can do to fortify my body and prevent injury is going to be part of my routine. ⭐
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    You have made great progress, very impressive and inspirational. Well done.
  • Sand_TIger
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Was that you I saw over on the NSV thread rocking some deadlifts? I thought you said you weren't really working on weight training...sneaky...

Hi!

Yep, I hadn't really been working on it of late so that's why I was happily surprised I could still do that lift. I really agree with you about the multiple benefits of weight lifting. It's great to be strong - but also really great to be resilient! That's one reason why I'm getting back into it at this point. I want to get at least somewhat stronger before I have to go back to work, since it's going to be much tougher to get in time for lifting once I have to make a long commute every day.

Oh, and Supercpa999, thank you for your kind thoughts!

• Nikki542687
    Nikki542687 Posts: 47 Member
    Great job!! Keep up the good work. I just started my journey (for about the 6th time) a little over a week ago and your post is inspiration and gives me the motivation to keep it up.
  • Sand_TIger
    Great job!! Keep up the good work. I just started my journey (for about the 6th time) a little over a week ago and your post is inspiration and gives me the motivation to keep it up.

Woohoo! Glad I could be of help. Welcome back to the path to health! We're all on it together.
  • Sand_TIger
    This is a long one - I think they just keep getting longer. Even so, I think it's important to share the challenges as well as the triumphs.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Sand_TIger/view?id=thinking-about-struggles-992934
  • jenilla1
    Great blog post! ⭐⭐⭐
  • jenilla1
    Sand_TIger wrote: »

I agree that the few extra pounds is probably mostly water weight from the increased workload/strength training. It's takes FOREVER to actually gain lean mass as a female, at least for me, and that's why I do whatever I can to maintain what I have! (It breaks my heart when I see women dropping weight too fast and losing lean mass! It's just soooo hard to get that back.) But recomp does happen! I've done it!

Anything sudden is probably that water weight, tho. I notice that when I take a short break from training, and I'm sedentary for a couple of days, I drop a pound or two as that "swole" goes down, LOL! When I train hard, I gain a pound or two. So my maintenance weight fluctuates up and down a couple of pounds all the time depending on my activity level. I really think that's pretty typical.

How I measure myself these days is actually just mostly by visually observing my body, how my clothes fit, and my fitness performance. I do use the scale once a day just to pay attention to the trends. If it moved a lot, then I'd have to reevaluate, but it's usually just these little fluctuations with increased or decreased activity.

Great blog post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!