3 years here. weight has moved up and down within a 25lb range... never got to GW

Hi!

got my 3 years on here badge. Over 600 days of tracking in a row now. Before, I was on here from 2012, so it's been nearly ten years, good dog.

I'm 5'10, 25F. SW was 170lb. GW is 140lb. Used to maintain at 125lb, but I was too obsessive then, so have settled for 140lb (10 stone) as a GW.

last summer I was 145lb, felt good, I was confident in my body. Now I am 165lb, and I honestly cannot pinpoint where I went wrong.

I weigh all my food to the point of being somewhat obsessed! I also do 16:8 IF and have 500 days + streak of eating like this. I know I'm a healthy weight (JUST), and I think possibly that makes it harder to lose? I don't know.

I eat 1650 calories a day, or around there. I walk 10,000 steps most days, and do yoga, swimming and go to the gym a few times a week.

Obviously, I am forgetting to weigh something. I suspect it's alcohol, so to that end I'm having a week off drinking and doing everything else the same. Except... I've GAINED. Woke up this morning and I was 167lb! yesterday, I ate under 1650 (not by much, but I was busy).

Just feeling quite discouraged. I have had a big year - new job, bought a house with my partner, got a cat. Obviously, pandemic - but last year was the pandemic too, and I went from 165lb in March 2020 to 145lb in July 2020...

Sorry for whining. Got to trust the process.

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I know those unaccounted beers on the weekend can sometimes really sabotage me, so I have to be super honest about those.

Have you tried backing your calorie goal down by 100 calories or so? I know the difference between a 1420 goal and 1500 goal seems to make a noticeable difference for me.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I know the closer I get to my goal weight, the tighter my logging has to be. Also try eating back only half of your exercise calories (or even less) if possible. Remember that weight comes off in the kitchen, not the gym. I am living proof that you can exercise every day and still gain weight. Keep track of BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) as well - those can really add up, especially if you are close to goal weight. Grabbing a potato chip, a small piece of chocolate, or a few nuts can add 100s to your calories for the day and because you're not sitting down to eat it you don't think to log it. I have been guilty of this more than once. Keep at it and don't get discouraged! It will come off.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Do you weigh your food still? I started thinking I knew portion sizes by sight. One day I checked the weight of my sugar free granola and it was twice what I thought it was. Go back to weighing. Are your spoonfuls getting more heaped? Are you logging the exact items you eat or an approximation? It can be so boring and time consuming to find the exact thing and very seductive to click on a fairly low calorie estimate - for example tahini is logged here by different people as between 90 cals and 260 cals per tablespoon. Have two tablespoons of tahini in your salad dressing and you could be 300 cals out!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    25F with lots of life changes, new job, moving, etc.

Any possibility you’re pregnant?

It’s awful easy to overlook a pill, etc when there’s a lot of commotion in life.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Sorry but c’mon. 20 lbs in a year and no idea how?

Years ago I quit drinking alcohol and over time lost 65 lbs without any other big changes. Things that had been hard suddenly became easier. It wasn’t just the empty calories, it was the Who cares? attitude that went with it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    tartanshep wrote: »
    Hi!

got my 3 years on here badge. Over 600 days of tracking in a row now. Before, I was on here from 2012, so it's been nearly ten years, good dog.

I'm 5'10, 25F. SW was 170lb. GW is 140lb. Used to maintain at 125lb, but I was too obsessive then, so have settled for 140lb (10 stone) as a GW.

last summer I was 145lb, felt good, I was confident in my body. Now I am 165lb, and I honestly cannot pinpoint where I went wrong.

I weigh all my food to the point of being somewhat obsessed! I also do 16:8 IF and have 500 days + streak of eating like this. I know I'm a healthy weight (JUST), and I think possibly that makes it harder to lose? I don't know.

I eat 1650 calories a day, or around there. I walk 10,000 steps most days, and do yoga, swimming and go to the gym a few times a week.

Obviously, I am forgetting to weigh something. I suspect it's alcohol, so to that end I'm having a week off drinking and doing everything else the same. Except... I've GAINED. Woke up this morning and I was 167lb! yesterday, I ate under 1650 (not by much, but I was busy).

Just feeling quite discouraged. I have had a big year - new job, bought a house with my partner, got a cat. Obviously, pandemic - but last year was the pandemic too, and I went from 165lb in March 2020 to 145lb in July 2020...

Sorry for whining. Got to trust the process.

i suspect this is your problem. Cutting alcohol if you're forgetting to count the calories is a good way to eliminate the variable, but you won't see results immediately. You will see weight fluctuations due to several different factors (water weight is a big one) and can't count on seeing a reduction for every day that you stay within calories, or even every week. Look at the trend over time, you'll probably see a jagged up and down line in your results window, but the general trend will be downward over several weeks.
  • Jagged82
    Jagged82 Posts: 4 Member
    Sounds like activity isn't issue, i would examine nutrition. Do you eat lots of bread, pasta, etc? Could also be food sensitivities. If you haven't tried see how low carb (not necessarily keto) works?