Premier Protein Shakes? Alternatives?

Hi all! I'm wondering how people feel about premier protein shakes. I'm not a big breakfast person at all and have very little time in the mornings. Lately I've been drinking the chocolate shake, but am wondering how healthy they really are. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions for a better alternative? Doesn't have to be a shake, just easy.

Replies

• zombieblondie
    zombieblondie Posts: 11 Member
    I don't know about premier protein. If you're looking for other options I'd like to recommend Driven Whey Protein as well as Chike Protein (especially if you like coffee), and Ascent protein options.
    If you'd prefer a protein bar to grab and go, I highly recommend Barebells.
    Good Luck!!!
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    Why not just skip breakfast? It doesn't sound like you enjoy that meal very much.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Do you crash by mid-morning if you don't eat/drink anything at breakfast time? If not, then yeah, maybe just skip breakfast and don't eat until lunchtime. Plenty of folks on IF (intermittent fasting) plans don't eat until 11 AM or even later during the day, like 2 or 3 PM. Three meals a day in the morning, at noon, and at night is just one possible way of eating, and if it doesn't work for you, you don't have to follow it. There aren't any Breakfast Police that will come and shove bacon and eggs down your throat at 7 AM if you don't.
  • AquaPunk87
    AquaPunk87 Posts: 13 Member
    I don't know about premier protein. If you're looking for other options I'd like to recommend Driven Whey Protein as well as Chike Protein (especially if you like coffee), and Ascent protein options.
    If you'd prefer a protein bar to grab and go, I highly recommend Barebells.
    Good Luck!!!

Thanks! I'll check those out. I love coffee!
  • AquaPunk87
    Why not just skip breakfast? It doesn't sound like you enjoy that meal very much.

My days at work get crazy and 9 times out of 10 I end up skipping lunch. I didn't used to eat breakfast, but just snacking or waiting until dinner doesn't work for me. So while I'm not a natural breakfast person, I definitely feel better and have more energy if I have something.
  • AquaPunk87
    Do you crash by mid-morning if you don't eat/drink anything at breakfast time? If not, then yeah, maybe just skip breakfast and don't eat until lunchtime. Plenty of folks on IF (intermittent fasting) plans don't eat until 11 AM or even later during the day, like 2 or 3 PM. Three meals a day in the morning, at noon, and at night is just one possible way of eating, and if it doesn't work for you, you don't have to follow it. There aren't any Breakfast Police that will come and shove bacon and eggs down your throat at 7 AM if you don't.

I do crash by mid-morning, plus I end up skipping lunch most days (my job tends to get crazy fast!). I started with the shakes about a month ago and I definitely feel better/have more energy by having something to hold me over. I'm just not a huge breakfast person and don't have much time since I'm up 4:30-5:00am. Cooking in the morning, or even scarfing down oatmeal is a no go. To top it off, I've never met a breakfast/protein bar I like 🤣
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Ready to drink I recommend OWYN , and powdered to make I use plant based- Sunwarrior or Garden of Life, Vega Sport and True Athlete Plant Protein from Vitamin Shoppe

Whey I would recommend Ascend also, True Athlete, Biochem and Kaged Muscle
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    What about adding some fresh fruit or even vegetables on the side. If you have time to add them in to your smoothie to make your own, I'd also add some healthy fats like nuts or avocado.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    AquaPunk87 wrote: »
    am wondering how healthy they really are. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions for a better alternative? Doesn't have to be a shake, just easy.

They are as healthy as whatever the calories/ingredients/nutrition say on the box...not sure what you're trying to get at there as "healthy" is a subjective term.

Nature Valley has nut-based protein chewy bars that are good - the blueberry is a great morning bar, and if you want a mouth-full of peanut butter the crunch bars will hit the spot:
    https://www.naturevalley.com/products/protein-bars

Premier itself has a decent nut-based bar:
    https://www.premierprotein.com/products/12g-chocolate-peanut-butter-protein-bar
  • AquaPunk87
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Ready to drink I recommend OWYN , and powdered to make I use plant based- Sunwarrior or Garden of Life, Vega Sport and True Athlete Plant Protein from Vitamin Shoppe

Whey I would recommend Ascend also, True Athlete, Biochem and Kaged Muscle

Thanks! I'll check these out too.
  • AquaPunk87
    Thanks everyone! I guess as long as there's no one screaming "OMG those are complete poison!" I'll call it a win 🤣

I don't eat/drink a whole lot of pre-packaged foods and wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally sabotaging myself. I think I'll take speakeasy's advice and try to eat an apple with it. Not sure why I never thought of that 🤦‍♀️
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Possibly pre-make a pitcher of your own concoction that suits you - nutritionally and flavor/etc. - that lasts a couple of days?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a Premiere Protein shake...but it's just a protein supplement. My bigger concern, particularly as you are also skipping on lunch most days is that you aren't really getting adequate nutrition in regards to essential micro-nutrients. Protein supplements are just protein supplements...they don't have the requisite nutrition to replace a meal.

If I were going this route I'd pick up an actual meal replacement shake that would also supplement a lot of the other nutrition you need or I would go the smoothie route.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    There aren't any Breakfast Police that will come and shove bacon and eggs down your throat at 7 AM if you don't.

How can I arrange a visit from these Breakfast Police peeps? lol

I second the idea of meal replacement shakes rather than protein shakes to serve as breakfast, along with Special K protein bars. 12g of protein plus 5g fiber, and it tastes like a granola bar, not chalky as a lot of protein bars tend to do.
  • AquaPunk87
    Thanks guys! I Knew there were meal replacement shakes, I just never really thought about it lol. I'll check some out, along with the special k bars nossmf recommended.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Aquapunk....I have been drinking Premier protein shakes daily for a while. I love them! I am a vegetarian (no meat but dairy)and realized after using MFP app and logging my food how much i was lacking in protein. I tried few different protein shakes and these are my favorite. Since upping my protein (I am fairly active and run 5 mile a day) I feel soooooo much better and have cut down on my binge eating. You know I go with how my body feels. If I feel good after eating something and have more energy that is my body speaking to me (is that corny...i don't know?). When I eat junk I get tired and have no desire to exercise. I have one or two of these daily. I was buying the prepared drinks but that got pricey so now I do the powder and make my own. My favorite is a smoothie with a frozen banana; chocolate protein powder, peanut butter powder(no fat just dehydrated ), ground flax seed and almond milk. OMG....it is like a dessert and keeps me full!
  • AquaPunk87
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Aquapunk....I have been drinking Premier protein shakes daily for a while. I love them! I am a vegetarian (no meat but dairy)and realized after using MFP app and logging my food how much i was lacking in protein. I tried few different protein shakes and these are my favorite. Since upping my protein (I am fairly active and run 5 mile a day) I feel soooooo much better and have cut down on my binge eating. You know I go with how my body feels. If I feel good after eating something and have more energy that is my body speaking to me (is that corny...i don't know?). When I eat junk I get tired and have no desire to exercise. I have one or two of these daily. I was buying the prepared drinks but that got pricey so now I do the powder and make my own. My favorite is a smoothie with a frozen banana; chocolate protein powder, peanut butter powder(no fat just dehydrated ), ground flax seed and almond milk. OMG....it is like a dessert and keeps me full!

Wow, you all are are giving me some great ideas! That recipe sounds super amazing. It probably won't work for me on a weekday, but I'm definitely trying it this weekend! 🤩
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a Premiere Protein shake...but it's just a protein supplement. My bigger concern, particularly as you are also skipping on lunch most days is that you aren't really getting adequate nutrition in regards to essential micro-nutrients. Protein supplements are just protein supplements...they don't have the requisite nutrition to replace a meal.

If I were going this route I'd pick up an actual meal replacement shake that would also supplement a lot of the other nutrition you need or I would go the smoothie route.

I admit I am not a nutritionist, but the label on the Premier brand, anyhow, which is the brand OP is asks about, looks pretty good.