I failed my main summer goals.

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I have a lot of goals, I actually write them down on a sheet of paper in the spring because it feels satisfying to check them off with a pen in hand and to contemplate how long I've been wanting to do something. Highly recommend trying it. πŸ™‚

At the top of my list was to visit the summits of Abernathy and Azurite Peaks, in the North Cascades, for personal reasons. I've been reading trip reports, planning routes, talked a friend into joining me for Azurite.

We got a lot of snow last winter and the high country has been melting out slowly until the heat wave. It's only been possible to drive to where I planned to start Azurite from for a few weeks now. And it's already too late. 😳

The red destroyer says October or next year.

Seize the day, folks. If you want to do something, make it a priority.

Satellite-Photo-wildfires-636-p.m.-PDT-July-18-2021.jpg

Replies

• cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    I totally agree about seizing the day but to say you failed is a bit harsh. There's still several weeks of summer and all hikers know you have to forego plans because of dangerous weather sometimes.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    It's not dangerous weather - all of the trail heads are in burn areas (currently on fire).
  • naomi9271
    naomi9271 Posts: 127 Member
    That stinks, @NorthCascades. Any chance you can plan for #2 or 3 on your list instead?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    You didn't fail.
    Climate change failed you.

• NorthCascades
    I shouldn't be complaining. Not being able to visit a couple summits and still being healthy is the least bad thing that will come out of this. Millions of animals are losing their homes, many their lives, a town in Canada was burnt off the map, my most beloved part of the state has the worst air quality there is and people are living under the uncertainty of evacuation; there are real problems.

This really rattles my cage. It's a slow moving disaster.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Complain all you want. Someone always has it worse than you, but that never stopped me from complaining! :D

Your goals are only delayed...you'll get there when the time is right. Any new goals you can add to this year's list that would be do-able?

You are lucky that you live close enough that you can make last-minute decisions to go or not.

I'm at the point where I really don't want to plan a hiking trip anywhere out west. I have to book airfare, lodging, rental car, etc to get there...it's too much of a commitment when the conditions might be terrible.

As an example....typically over the 4th of July holiday, we vacation in Nelson, BC. We couldn't this year because of travel restrictions to Canada. But, if it was a normal year, and we HAD gone, it would have been 110+ degrees every day.

I have been to the North Cascades twice and LOVED it. I want to go back, but, as you illustrate, the best time of year for hiking is also fire season. I don't see myself taking the risk.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I'm sorry, N Cascades. We're getting hammered in recent years from the heat and fires. I get the frustration. I am just grateful that I'm only affected by air quality, and not the threat of losing my home. You have great goals. I love that you write them down. Keep at the ones you can accomplish.
  • NorthCascades
    I lost two pets over the last year, named after Abernathy and Azurite Peaks. I was looking forward to visiting them and saying goodbye. One of them was buried, the other, I planned to spread her ashes in both places. These were both short lived pets I never wanted, who turned out to be special in spite of my attitude, they expanded my horizons, taught me about compassion and life, and became sweet friends.

I know that fire is a growing problem here, I knew we were in a drought, I should have trained harder all year and gone as soon as it became possible. I'll have to next spring.

I'm still visiting mountains and not going to stop. πŸ™‚ I'm looking forward to getting the computer situation in order so I can share photos again. πŸ“· 🏞️

Thanks for listening! 😊