Weighing

When counting calories I can't help but weigh myself everyday, when I see a weight fluctuation I tend to get pretty stressed. Is there a way I can minimize fluctuations in weight loss?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,102 Member
    edited July 2021
    Weight fluctuations are normal, our water weight and food waste fluctuates daily. It's not a healthy mindset to try and manipulate the fluctuations.

You could weigh less frequently, or weigh daily but enter your weigh-ins into a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra so you can see the trend behind the fluctuations.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    I really like the trend ap approach and have been doing so for 4+ years. For me it turns weighing into routine data collection and helps to remove the emotional connection to the number.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Your weight will ALWAYS fluctuate. This is normal and in general not something you should strive to avoid.
    Your body weight is made up of more than muscle and fat and bones. It includes an ever-changing amount of water, food waste, fluids, etc.

Weighing every day can help you to understand the fluctuations and not let them upset you.

The only thing that you could do to avoid one reason for a big fluctuation is to limit high-sodium meals. But water weight gain from sodium is only ONE reason for fluctuations, so doing that won't eliminate them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Weight fluctuations are normal, our water weight and food waste fluctuates daily. It's not a healthy mindset to try and manipulate the fluctuations.

You could weigh less frequently, or weigh daily but enter your weigh-ins into a weight trending app like Happy Scale or Libra so you can see the trend behind the fluctuations.

Another vote for this ^
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    OMG do not weigh yourself everyday. You cannot do anything about daily weight fluctuations bc that is normal. You CAN do something about getting stressed out and it's do not weight yourself everyday. Weight yourself like....once every other week IMO - bc it sounds like if you don't see weight loss on the scale it's going to stress you out. That is not going to help you lose weight/be healthy.