Need meal inspiration for hot weather!

2»

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Ice cream!! ;)
    Yeh, probably not the help you were looking for. My downfall is that I'm not much of a cook so am always eating simple to put together foods such as yogurt and veggie salads with chicken. When it's really hot I don't want anything hot. :( Not even pizza. So for me, it'd be sandwiches, yogurt and salads.

I've been experimenting with this and the best result so far and not too unhealthy is any tinned fruit in light syrup blitzed with a banana in the food processor. Freeze in a tub, mashing the mixture with a fork every hour or so. If you are short on freezer space put the mixture into a zip lock bag and freeze flat. Give the bag a bit of a massage every hour so that it freezes less solid.

I freeze banana chunks, add frozen strawberries or any other fruit I have in the freezer, maybe 1/2 cup of almond milk, peanut butter if I'm in the mood and whiz it through the blender. It's so good. I've also used frozen watermelon which is really good. It's a great replacement for ice cream and so refreshing, similar to what you do. I'll have to try the frozen canned fruit.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Ice cream!! ;)
    Yeh, probably not the help you were looking for. My downfall is that I'm not much of a cook so am always eating simple to put together foods such as yogurt and veggie salads with chicken. When it's really hot I don't want anything hot. :( Not even pizza. So for me, it'd be sandwiches, yogurt and salads.

I've been experimenting with this and the best result so far and not too unhealthy is any tinned fruit in light syrup blitzed with a banana in the food processor. Freeze in a tub, mashing the mixture with a fork every hour or so. If you are short on freezer space put the mixture into a zip lock bag and freeze flat. Give the bag a bit of a massage every hour so that it freezes less solid.

I freeze banana chunks, add frozen strawberries or any other fruit I have in the freezer, maybe 1/2 cup of almond milk, peanut butter if I'm in the mood and whiz it through the blender. It's so good. I've also used frozen watermelon which is really good. It's a great replacement for ice cream and so refreshing, similar to what you do. I'll have to try the frozen canned fruit.

Frozen seedless grapes are a great hot weather snack too. They taste like sorbet pellets.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I like to make a frittata.
    This week's had courgette and spring onion in it. Slice it up and it'll sit in the fridge for a few days.
    A piece with salad or a baked potato is very easy. Made for nice lunch boxes in the sun this week :)
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Lentil salad, southwest salad, black bean dip or hunus on vegies or "Mary's gone crackers," fruit salads.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Shrimp Cocktail (try 10 Jumbo Shrimp). A whole more protein per calorie than beef or pork. Lightly sauteed in a few Tbs of water and Old Bay or Better than Bouillon Lobster Base then cooled in the frig.

I thought we were talking about meat substitutes. But, what the heck!

My favorite salad in Summer is crumbled up Tostidos with a layer of thin sliced tomatoes, then a layer of thin sliced Vidalia onion, then Basil, then smoked salmon chunks, than Balsamic vinegar and only the slightest drizzle of chili pepper infused olive oil. Add sea salt flakes to taste.
  • krjohnson1292
    krjohnson1292 Posts: 37 Member
    Homemade Stir Fry with Konjac Noodles are perfect for low calories and a light lunch. 3 ounces of Konjac noodles are only 30 calories.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Chicken salad sandwiches, made with prepared chicken such as rotisseri,with salad or fruit on the side. I also have been using my air fryer alot to make things, so the house doesn't get hot with fruit or salads on the side
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    we eat a lot of grilled chicken salad in the summer, or just grill in general
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gazpacho, though there are high calorie versions, but tasty low-cal ones are out there (I wing it).

Cold yogurt-based soups, including fruit soups as well as vegetable ones.

Cold soups can include pureed soft tofu or white beans for extra protein.

Bean salads from canned beans. I don't recipe, and many variations work, but one I do is something like red or black beans with some combo of sweet peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sweet or green onions, and calorie-affordable amounts of sweet corn (frozen cooks quickly) or avocado, and bits of smoked provolone or mozzarella (slicing string cheese is quick). Dress with salsa, or vinegar + herbs of choice. (I like malt vinegar, especially, with beans.) Eat on its own, or atop a heap of leafy greens.

For me this is a great answer. I have canned mixed bean salad and a carton of gazpacho in the fridge as I type this. I freeze fruit and blend with plain yoghurt. This I call fruit soup and serve with muesli or granola and fresh fruit.