Making it easy.

Avoid Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, Salt and Sugar. These substances affect no only your health but your state of mind. The substance with the most effect on dieting and appetite is sugar. Four days with no sugar starts to kill cravings and suppresses appetite. Even a small amount of sugar puts your appetite in high gear. Your body does not need any of these substances.

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Agree with nicotine but not the others. Caffeine in moderation has numerous health benefits. Salt is fine for you as long as you don't have kidney or heart issues.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Everything in moderation works for me...although nicotine is really something that we can all do without.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Avoid Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, Salt and Sugar. These substances affect no only your health but your state of mind. The substance with the most effect on dieting and appetite is sugar. Four days with no sugar starts to kill cravings and suppresses appetite. Even a small amount of sugar puts your appetite in high gear. Your body does not need any of these substances.

I believe you mean to reduce "added salt". We get plenty of salt through our regular diet. For myself, I completely agree with your comments about sugar. I also try to limit flour products, as I find sugar and flour tend to pack on the pounds :) Of course, each individual has to find what works for them :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sorry, can't avoid caffeine. Besides, there are "studies" that suggest that caffeine in moderation provides certain benefits. Love my coffee and tea.

No real benefits from nicotine but I still smoke an occasional cigar nonetheless; no direct inhalation but obviously some side smoke is inhaled.

Geo Burns (the comedian) smoked cigars daily and lived to 100. So, smoking doesn't kill everyone.

There are reportedly some benefits from drinking alcohol in moderation too. I still drink wine, beer and liquor; often more than just occasionally.

Life is too short and it's one of those things that I refuse to give up, regardles of it's effects, good or bad.

Salt is an essential mineral and you have to have some in your diet. The problem is if you consume "too much" which is mainly a problem if you eat a lot of "processed" foods.

If you cook/eat most of your own food from raw/basic food sources, as I do, this is very easy to regulate. Haven't eaten at a "fast food" joint in over 5 years and don't miss it one bit.

Sugar is also only a problem if you eat too of the stuff.

You also have to distinguish between natural sugars (found in fruit) vs added sugars that are found in abundance in processed foods, sweetened sodas/fruit drinks and baked goods.

Sugar is one of the things that I've largely been able to eliminate from my diet, starting w/sodas that I do not drink at all anymore, such that most of my sugar intake comes only from fruit.

So, 2 out of 5 in the list is the best that I can do. LOL! ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    that doesnt sound easy at all.

or an enjoyable life at all.

how about everything in moderation?

sounds much better.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    It is all so personal. I totally disagree with giving up caffeine, unless it makes you wired and weird.. then of course .give it up. I find it is miserable and I hate my life when I can't have my lovely cup of coffee. And.. it isn't bad for you. As for sugar and salt? yes, for me.. giving those up or limiting them greatly aids in my weight loss. But, maybe it isn't for everyone.
    Figure out what works for you.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    i tried to do without the flour and sugar thing people talk about like OA but I agree, life is too short. I do limit these things though. But I am maintaining, I probably could have done that trying to lose the weight easier.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    Only thing on that list that I 'avoid' is nicotine.