So I am looking to build lean muscle mass without getting big

I have a good amount of fat in my body but I want my legs and back to be skinnier, I looked online and it says I can build lean muscle mass and it will burn fat and make my back and legs skinnier, is this true? I don't want to get big by strength training I just want to build lean muscle mass and burn fat, so my appearance looks slimmer. I am also worried that when I build lean muscle mass it will convert the fat on my body to muscle, making me look bigger. Please is there any tips you guys have also I want to build lean muscle mass and burn fat without being in a calorie deficit.

Replies

• clailah06
    clailah06 Posts: 9 Member
    thanks guys!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Unless you get into body building- and you’ll certainly know if you are because it takes a lot of dedicated work and very specific nutrition- chances are slim (ha!) that you’ll bulk up.

Here’s a couple of threads you might be interested in. They have visuals of ladies working out, or posting results. These are some lovely, shapely ladies- most of whom who have gone through the whole weight loss / shaping up process that you are presumably going through.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky#

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/46102320#Comment_46102320

I started strength training early, instead of waiting til I got near or at goal, and am very grateful that other MFP posters convinced me to.
  • iam4scuba
    iam4scuba Posts: 39 Member
    If you bulk up too much, you can just cut back on the lifting of those muscle groups. No one should ever be nervous about bulking up too much.

Also, I'm not entirely sure what "lean muscle mass" means. Does this refer to slow-twitch vs fast-twitch fibers?
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2021
    clailah06 wrote: »
    I have a good amount of fat in my body but I want my legs and back to be skinnier, I looked online and it says I can build lean muscle mass and it will burn fat and make my back and legs skinnier, is this true? I don't want to get big by strength training I just want to build lean muscle mass and burn fat, so my appearance looks slimmer. I am also worried that when I build lean muscle mass it will convert the fat on my body to muscle, making me look bigger. Please is there any tips you guys have also I want to build lean muscle mass and burn fat without being in a calorie deficit.

As far as I know, you can't target areas for fat loss. You lift for that area, repeatedly, heavy, over time and build muscle. You don't have any no worries for this happening unless you adopt a programme, start lifting, repeatedly, watch your macros, etc.

When you create a deficit, over time, your body will lose fat (and a bit of muscle) from all over. From what I've read, you can help offset this by ensuring you have high enough protein (someone else can add to this...)

Seriously - just do this. Just start walking long distances. Every day, if you can. If you can't do long distances (i.e. under 10 km) just walk very briskly for over an hour. It sounds too easy but I did this over the course of 6 months and I lost 35 pounds while on Weight watchers. I would walk 100km/week and would try to average shorter time spans (i.e. first month 13 min/km, then whittle it down to under 9 min/km which is brisk.) After 2 months my legs were getting fairly toned.

I made a walking schedule/calendar, and went out with the wife every day, after dinner (pre kids), and we walked from 7pm until 9pm or so. Nightly, 5 days a week M-F, weekends we rested. Over time, this added up to hundreds of kilometres. I made sure we never fell below 12 min/km and towards the end of the summer, tried 9min/km. Tons of initial blisters, but with some tape, good socks, it all worked. Hills, stairs, etc, Non stop, for 2 hrs a night.

Your concerns about bulking up are unfounded. It takes considerable dedication, time after time, strict eating and discipline on a program to see gains.

Seriously - just try walking for a couple of months, nightly.
    clailah06 wrote: »
    Please is there any tips you guys have also I want to build lean muscle mass and burn fat without being in a calorie deficit.

Um this doesn't exist I think because a) you don't want to do strength training and b) you want to burn fat but not be in a calorie deficit. How do you expect to lose weight without the deficit? :/ Lol.

1. Plan a new route, get to know your neighbourhood. I'd google map my walking area - roughly 10km2 in the form of a square.
    2. Load up on tunes or podcast.
    3. Walk!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    What everyone says. Eat enough so you are in a smallish calorie deficit, and do some strength training.