What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    Quick spin

9svf0yyi0bcv.png
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @amorfati601070 - Nice Ride. I'd really like to learn how to maintain that speed while riding over water as you have figured out! :)
  • Djproulx
    Long run and swim this am. 2hour run with 4 x24min blocks at marathon pace (whatever that is, lol). Pool swim included a timed mile (1600yds). Now I need food.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2021
    Longest rowing machine row in a while -- 13K meters (around an hour and ten minutes straight). Super slow (old man) pace, around 2:35, but I upped the DF and slowed the SR, to try to keep it entirely under 70% max. Didn't quite make it, but kept nearly all of it under 72% max (at around 115 DF).

We have had record rainfall in the last 72 hours, which is great for the desert. It's nearly entirely taken us out of "extreme drought" to nearly out of drought status. 4 inches in 72 hours. I've not seen this much rain in years. Just sat in my garage at 78 degrees (didn't even need the cooler, just turned it on fan mode). Though humidity is near 100%, it felt fantastic, compared to 108 degrees earlier in June.

My goal going into Summer was just to keep getting in some good meters and not have to drag the rower inside. I've gotten in quite a lot actually, thanks to the cooler and persistence. Back is feeling decent too. Not 100%, but like 95%.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    2 hours climbing.
    It was really good fun. I got quite a few hard routes.

There was one which may be intended to be a dyno, but I came up with a static route I was quite proud of. (You face outwards initially, kick a leg onto a corner, partially turn around, and this lets you get enough reach to do it statically.)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    @AnnPT77 -- I hope to be just working out at 75. That's pretty incredible about your friend. Not like you're a slouch (you underestimate yourself quite a bit BTW), but I'm always stunned at the folks that keep working out as hard as they do at over 70.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    edited July 2021
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @amorfati601070 - Nice Ride. I'd really like to learn how to maintain that speed while riding over water as you have figured out! :)

hahaha

k32n02lf2rws.gif

I dunno why the Watopia map does that lol. Well there is a bridge and underwater segment in the tunnel but its not that long! The spirally bit is the Volcano though!
  • MikePfirrman
    Djproulx wrote: »

hahaha

k32n02lf2rws.gif

I dunno why the Watopia map does that lol. Well there is a bridge and underwater segment in the tunnel but its not that long! The spirally bit is the Volcano though!

Rumor is (and it's been in the works for a long time and I wonder if it will ever happen) is that Zwift is going to eventually create a rowing option. I believe Watopia was, in part, in conjunction with that. At one point, there's even a rowing start in the middle of the water. So it's early in development and the CEO kept promising it's going to be "soon", but it obviously isn't a huge priority for Zwift.
  • MikePfirrman
    Did 8 X 500m sprints on the rower out in the garage (fairly nice weather, 80 and sunny -- used the cooler but barely needed it). Did 90 seconds rest between. Wanted to do 16 intervals, so I finished with 8 more inside -- four on the LateralX @ 2 minutes/1 rest and then four more on the Assault Bike for 2 minutes/1 rest.

Tried to hit 90% of max as fast as I could and exceed it by the last couple of reps. Mostly hit my targets. Tried to keep the row portion under 2:00 pace, but didn't quite make it.

Nice hard hour of work. Hard but I felt under control throughout. Been a while since I burned 1000 calories in an hour.

4whsr02i122g.jpg
    2xo3ble2ue3c.png
    1mr6bw4zuow0.png
  • Djproulx
    edited July 2021
    @MikePfirrman, That’s hammering away at it.
  • Xikaiden
    Xikaiden Posts: 37 Member
    7 1/2 hrs of walking at work and 8hrs tomorrow
  • Djproulx
    55 minute run. After 10 minutes of warmup drills and jogging, 15min @ marathon pace, 10@HM pace, 10@10K pace, 5@5k pace, cooldown.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    @Djproulx - thanks for the kind words. Still not being at a suitable pace to race (yet), sometimes it's hard to stay motivated. I mostly train now for the monthly club competitions, which isn't as fun as racing, but it's something. I feel pretty good, but the paces just aren't coming back easily. Maybe I'll race this Winter and just get my butt whipped. At my age, the only "indoor rowers" left are typically very, very strong ones.

Working on sets of pushups, pressups, deadlifts and heavy KB swings. Got my 70 lb KB in and haven't used it until today -- doing light deadlifts with it for now. Not sure I'm ready for swings with it, still using my 53 lb KB for those. Got two sets in last night before bed and getting six more in today during work breaks. Promised some dear friends I'd make them dinner tonight, so I'm missing the gym this evening. I think my workout at home is actually a bit harder -- just more spread out today. Will end up doing 200 pushups (8 X 25), 120 pressups/pullups (15 X 8) and 128 KB Swings or Deadlifts (16 X 8).

Will also get in a 10K super easy row at lunch today.
  • alwaystrytobekind
    alwaystrytobekind Posts: 4 Member
    My workout today was stripping at waxing the floors at my job. It's very cardio intense and sweaty haha.
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Morning bootcamp. Will try to get an abs workout in later today.
  • Djproulx
    .....Still not being at a suitable pace to race (yet), sometimes it's hard to stay motivated. I mostly train now for the monthly club competitions, which isn't as fun as racing, but it's something. I feel pretty good, but the paces just aren't coming back easily. Maybe I'll race this Winter and just get my butt whipped. At my age, the only "indoor rowers" left are typically very, very strong ones.....

Re: first bolded sentence - It sure is. I have to constantly remind myself not to fret over where I am now versus 2017 (pre injury). I'm just nowhere near as fast running or swimming now as I was then. (Cycling is the same). My wife bought a bumper sticker and gave it to me recently. It says: "Comparison is the Thief of Joy". While that may be true, it doesn't help when I look at training stats every day, lol.

Re: second bolded sentence. - That same situation exists in triathlon. Even though the number of competitors are fewer, the only guys left are the ones who have been doing this all their lives. They are well trained, fast and smart. Many still place in the top 25% of all finishers, even at the full Ironman distance. So there are no "easy" podium finishes, even for old farts. ;)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength:
    HSPU - 4-3-2-1-1 (11r)
    Pull-up - 12-9-7-4-2 (24r)
    Squat - 5x12r (60r)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited July 2021
    @Djproulx -- my plan is live till I'm 100 and set some records! Ha, that's about the only chance I have. I knew the guy (an online buddy) that holds most of the over 90 records. The week before he passed a few years back, he was wondering if he could figure out a contraption to assist him rowing because he had just had a hip replacement at like 93. That's the way I want to go out. Fighting till the end!

Today, did the plan. 10K, easy paced. Drag factor was at 115 (what most mistake for "resistance" on a rowing machine) and I did manage to keep my HR all under 75% max. Wanted to keep it under 70% max, but I find that's very hard the day after a hard workout day (and yesterday was very hard). It tends to creep more on days immediately following a tougher one. Pace still slow, around 2:33 or so, but I'm not particularly worried about that right now. I could have set the DF lower and sped up, but I'm trying to work on some more power while keeping the HR lower and not have muscle fatigue (common at higher DFs).
  • Djproulx
    Pool swim. 2400yds. After warmup laps and drill set, two rounds of 6x100's done fast, with 15sec recovery.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength: Static Strength
    Hollow Body - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Handstand Wall - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Hang - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Dip - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Jumprope 100-200-300-400-500sk (1500sk)