WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Our youngest daughter ended up spending the whole weekend here organizing the craftroom. She did most of the work and I’m ecstatic with the results. It was supposed to be Friday evening, Saturday only but it actually went into this morning. Her husband came this morning and made breakfast for us on his way to do his 1 week practicum in the OR for his paramedic course.

Can you send her over here to help me with my home office??? :smiley:

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather —I ’ve started over on the baby blanket and have good things working at home. Thank you for your kind words. The knitting is coming along although I had to re-do some of it but didn’t mind. I like knitting. :star;

Margaret —Your scaly friend seemed not too aggressive. :smiley:

Rita – I am not fond of reptiles but snakes are the worst. :grumble:

Peach – I worked out the problems I was having with my knitted baby blanket. I am now on a good path. :bigsmile:

Barbie — I have also bought more yarn. I can’t say I’ve enough yarn for a middle school camp out, but it will be enough for our baby grandson’s blanket. I have knitted four blankets n the past and this may be the last for a while. I am pleased with how it is going so far. I think knitting is fun, too, especially when I’m making something for a grandchild. :heart:

Peach — Thanks for your ideas. I am good at knitting but not so good at embroidery or quilting squares. I have made good progress today. :flowerforyou:

This has been a good day & I’m ready for rest. Rest well if you can.

Katla in NW Oregon

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Well its 1:26 am here.. woke up about an hour ago with stomach cramps.. still have them..
    My friend Jim finally moved in to the condo complex..his daughter mostly with help from his son got it furnished and decorated and wven stocked the pantry.. he is so excited..I am happy for him.. will bave to check his place out soon.
    His daughter has 3 littles ,8 ,3 and 18 months the first 2 were IVF babies and the 3rd was not lol. His son and his wife are expecting there first a month from now..so exciting.
    My kids grew up with Lindsey and Evan,they are 6 months apart each.Fan in January Lindsey on July.Tracy in February and I think Evan was in June.
    Did talk to my brother for a minute this morning ,he butt dialed me and the reception wasnt great,but good to hear his voice.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Machka congrats on the SV (scale victory)
    Allie it sounds nice to have an old friend move in nearby
  • bananasandoranges
    not very active productive weekend except activist stuff and meeting old classmate.

today short activist meeting online with national union guy,

otherwise :
    writing exercise
    cleaning
    that's about it.

Grateful
    some nice colleagues and fellow activists with high integrity and compassion
    mild weather
    home
    city
    cafés
    teacher friend at café nice conversations of late
    rather good night's sleep
    sound of pigeon's cooing
    very quiet in city in late July

• bananasandoranges
    edited July 2021
    my sister had a major bike accident, by falling 2x when riding about a month ago. the handlebar went through her neck. She was lucky to have survived.
    she had major surgery but seems to be ok.
    she says she is having memory issues and trouble figuring things out.
    I'm afraid she may have vascular dementia. She is 65
    My dad had vascular dementia at about 77 or 78 (he died at 79).
    It's not very hereditary, but is provoked by heart disease which has hereditary aspects.
    apparently dementia can cause imbalance before clear mental issues.
    she has not been topnotch in terms of memory over past 10 years or so, but really nothing alarming at all.
    like many of us she copes by making lists.

several family members and friends took care of her for a month. with covid it seemed best that I don't go intercontinental and I was planning to wait another year to plan an International trip

if covid rates go up in one or the other place and government rules change - or even one gets asymptomatic covid, one can be blocked for weeks, when moving between countries.

"The sort of genes that increase the risk of vascular dementia are often the same ones that increase the risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease and stroke."

ok not really motivated for early morning exercise but it does get my juices flowing and my moral up.
    it's to be on and off rainy and not really warm most of the week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    my sister had a major bike accident, by falling 2x when riding about a month ago. the handlebar went through her neck. She was lucky to have survived.
    she had major surgery but seems to be ok.
    she says she is having memory issues and trouble figuring things out.
    I'm afraid she may have vascular dementia. She is 65

Did she hit her head when she fell and was she wearing her helmet?

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    Tracey WOW! WOW! WOW! Total fabuloso! :D You won't be able to start a project now for fear of messing it up. :p Congrats to your younger daughter. <3
    Air show looks fun too. B)

Julie - So sorry to hear about your sister. I think you are wise not to go. Our government changes its mind every 5 minutes on which countries are 'red'. France is pretty much out of bounds to us at the moment. DH's younger daughter was all set to go and see her older sister, who lives in the south, but she had to cancel. She was going with her sister's two ex husbands, who are all best friends. :o Instead they all had a Zoom Bastille Day party.

Had a terrible night's sleep last night. First one in ages. Oh well.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Tracey ~ Your daughter did a fantastic job on your craft room. She could start an organization business...that's how great it looks.

Julie ~ So sorry about your sister's accident.

Katla ~ Your blanket will look great as it has been done with so much love and care.

I need to take my car to a shop to have the AC refrigerant charged. I had no idea that almost anywhere you take it, you would have to have an appointment. But, it is supposed to be in the 90's this week and long have been the years that I had a car with no air. :s

Carol in GA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,366 Member
    Tracey -
    Definitely have craft room envy - it looks absolutely wonderful!

Julie -
    So sorry about your sister's horrible bike accident--hope her memory issues improve. I'm with Heather, you're wise not to go--but that's from someone who refuses to travel right now, so should be taken with a grain of salt.

Weekend was a bust - hopefully, a better day today. Did sleep well last night, but am obviously grinding my teeth, need to see if I can find a mouthguard today while I'm out and about.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Good Morning all! Happy Monday!
    My Saturday Road Trip was a lot of fun. The Beyond VanGogh exhibit was fantastic. A wonderful melding of technology and artwork. It was like being in the paintings, as they projected the works on the walls and floors and created moving elements from the work. Like the flower petals blowing across the walls and floors, stars twinkling and shooting around, water rippling, etc. Just stunning. At $45/ticket, it was an extravagance for me; but I would pay to see it again (except I would go when there are less people). We also saw the Jim Henson Interactive exhibit and I got all choked up seeing the muppets from my childhood and the costumes and muppets used in the movie Labyrinth. (Big pang for Labyriinth because I still miss David Bowie).
    qb022ywam17b.jpgtfvc6l1ychbw.jpgf0ju2zogf75x.jpgve6fmtwhgi8f.jpg1n6zo0ts0ymo.jpgmsg236bf79n2.jpg

(DYS) Colin and I weren't able to hike the trails, though. We made the two hour drive north of Detroit to the trails, but as we pulled in the lot the rangers told us that they had just locked up for the day due to a tornado warning and severe weather warning. *sigh* So...Colin and I checked the radar and planned our route home, deciding to try to skirt around the storm. Well, we ended up having to pull off the highway because it was raining so hard we couldn't see the road. We took the nearest exit and just pulled up under the overpass we had just been on, and waited out the storm. While we waited we watched the weather on our phones. We could hear the town's tornado siren wailing. Then we got some hail. Then an alert came on our phones that a tornado had touched down in the small town that we were sitting in. lol We waited about forty-five minutes until the sirens stopped and then hot-footed it out of there. lol Made it home and opened up a bottle of wine. Made for an exciting end to our trip. It was a great day, and as always it is just so wonderful being with Colin. We have the same sense of humor and can make each other laugh, easily.
    Rita - Love your "friend". I bet you get to see a lot of interesting things on your walks. In regards to difficult spouses; I found once I changed my way of thinking and reacting to him, he seemed to notice or sense it and he changed a bit as well. Hugs to you, friend!
    Tracey- Love your craft room! I miss my daughter being close by. She loved an organizational challenge.
    Heather- Which area are you planning to paint pink? I have also been thinking about a lovely shell pink for a bathroom or bedroom.

As always, kids arriving. More of you I wanted to respond to; sending hugs and love! Welcome new girls! ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    Penny - What a Great adventure after all this time!!! Enjoy <3

KJ - Unexpected thrills, but you will never forget the experience!!!!! :D

Okie - The gadget is called Aspivenin. Mine comes with different nozzles and even works on mosquito bites. My friend's life was saved by it after she was bitten by a scorpion. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    Fffff
  • cityjaneLondon
    I've just poached a chicken in the IP for lunch tomorrow with my friend. Smells divine and the stock will be a bonus. Going to start with a Greek tomato salad, then the chicken with babaganoush and tzsatziki and a green salad. Bought some yummy wholegrain rolls. Finish with mango and crême fraiche. Accompanied by a Sauvignon blanc I bought this morning. Gwendolen's favourite.
    DH can have his portion when he gets home from cricket in the evening.

This afternoon we are strolling over to see the kids and picking up an order from the fish and chip shop on the way. :D<3

I will be as abstemious as possible on both occasions. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    My niece and her boyfriend have covid. Mildly, because they are both double jabbed. But it means my brother and his wife have to isolate for 10 days. All double jabbed, but ....... Oh boo!

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Morning ladies
    I looked back at my post and wow did i mispell alot of words lol thats what happens when its early morning and typing without glasses on..
    Im awake and sorta functioning.. need to take my pills
    Then have to go get Homer