Premier Protein Shakes? Alternatives?

2»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,113 Member
    If oatmeal isn’t an option due to cooking times, you could try refrigerator oatmeal.

Just put a quarter cup regular oatmeal in a travel container - mason jars work great.
    Add some milk, yogurt, fruit, nuts if you like, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. These keep a week refrigerated, so you can make them ahead of time and just grab them as you zoom out the door.
    Then you can have the protein shake for lunch.
  • krjohnson1292
    krjohnson1292 Posts: 37 Member
    I’ve been using dry peanut powder with cacao. Those packaged shakes have so much sugar and additives you might as well have a milkshake.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited July 2021
    I’ve been using dry peanut powder with cacao. Those packaged shakes have so much sugar and additives you might as well have a milkshake.

Premier protein has no added sugar and 30 grams of protein. The peanut butter I use has added sugar though (2grams).

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »

Premier protein has no added sugar and 30 grams of protein. The peanut butter I use has added sugar though (2grams).

Yeah and even removing 'added' from the equation it has one whole gram of sugar.

They're fine.
  • AquaPunk87
    AquaPunk87 Posts: 13 Member
    If oatmeal isn’t an option due to cooking times, you could try refrigerator oatmeal.

Just put a quarter cup regular oatmeal in a travel container - mason jars work great.
    Add some milk, yogurt, fruit, nuts if you like, and let it sit in the fridge overnight. These keep a week refrigerated, so you can make them ahead of time and just grab them as you zoom out the door.
    Then you can have the protein shake for lunch.

Thanks! I might try this too. Sounds easy and delicious!
  • AquaPunk87
    AquaPunk87 Posts: 13 Member

Agreed! This one might be low in sugar, but some of them are crazy high!
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Fairlife are great, 30 protein and only 150 calories.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    I love premier protein shakes. They were actually suggested to me by my nutritionist, because they do have alot of nutrients in it, and low sugar. I like the chocolate, coffee, and blueberry flavors. If you aren't a breakfast person, I think a shake is a good alternative, you may also want to look up recipes for smoothies and add a protein powder to it for some variety.
  • MargaretYakoda
    I love premier protein shakes. They were actually suggested to me by my nutritionist, because they do have alot of nutrients in it, and low sugar. I like the chocolate, coffee, and blueberry flavors. If you aren't a breakfast person, I think a shake is a good alternative, you may also want to look up recipes for smoothies and add a protein powder to it for some variety.

Blueberry??? They have BLUEBERRY????

(mumble mumble Podunk town I live in mumble mumble)
  • futuresylph
    futuresylph Posts: 2,178 Member
    Blueberry??? They have BLUEBERRY????

(mumble mumble Podunk town I live in mumble mumble)

https://tinyurl.com/5xr9khwb
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 350 Member
    Well, this thread got me interested in Premier protein shakes. I may need to order some!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    Well, this thread got me interested in Premier protein shakes. I may need to order some!

LOL me too. I don't drink a lot of them but I've had Quest and Pure Protein and the high protein version of Ensure. Only one that wasn't all that good was the Pure Protein and that was because it seemed thinner than the others. Quest was awesome tho.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    1. If you don't like breakfast and don't have time...just don't eat breakfast. I often don't eat a proper breakfast on week/workdays. I do, however, keep things like Kind Bars or Larabars in case I get real hungry and need something. I often eat only 2 meals per day (in which case they'd be like 800 calories each) or 2 meals and a couple snacks. As long as you are satiated enough through the day to avoid overeating at a certain point --- like some people, if they skip breakfast or some food in the morning...at lunch they will binge bc they're starving.

2. If you are fine with replacing that meal with a shake/drink --- I'm not sure if Premier Protein is 'healthy' or not compared to any other grab/go protein shake....but a protein shake with a couple hundred calories isn't a meal replacement. I have a powder called BSN True Mass --- which I'm SURE is for people who are weight lifting and trying to get those gains...as they say. But I use it because on a day that I go for a long run --- I have a hard time eating enough calories from my meals (2200 calories is a lot for me, I typically eat 16-1700). A serving size of it is 3 scoops which is like 700 calories but I usually use 2 scoops and fill my 16 oz shaker and go on my way. It mixes well, tastes good, and has fat and carbs in addition to just protein. I may not be using is as it's intended but it works for me.
  • Xikaiden
    Xikaiden Posts: 37 Member
    I've had the premier protein and the fairlife ones so far. Don't buy either of them often (especially the latter since I can only get the strawberry banana one at the gas station) but they don't seem too bad.
  • WailingDusk
    WailingDusk Posts: 58 Member
    AquaPunk87 wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm wondering how people feel about premier protein shakes. I'm not a big breakfast person at all and have very little time in the mornings. Lately I've been drinking the chocolate shake, but am wondering how healthy they really are. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions for a better alternative? Doesn't have to be a shake, just easy.

Since I've cut out all dairy from my diet, I can't do whey (it also messes up my stomach). I use Orgain Sport Protein powder. One serving is 200 calories and 30 grams of complete protein, all plant based. I've been using it for over a year now, and it's been fantastic. I'll either mix it in with oatmeal or drink it as a shake for lunch after a workout. Just make sure that you're also getting in some vegetables and some complex carbs, because a protein shake isn't a complete meal.
  • MargaretYakoda
    I just tried the chocolate banana Atkins shake this morning and it was naaaaaaasty.

Back to Premier and Glucerna for me!