Tattoos on men?

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51863502_Who_Gets_Tattoos_Demographic_and_Behavioral_Correlates_of_Ever_Being_Tattooed_in_a_Representative_Sample_of_Men_and_Women

"Men and women ages 20-39 were most likely to have been tattooed, as were men with lower levels of education, tradesmen, and women with live-out partners. Tattooing was also associated with risk-taking behaviours, including smoking, greater numbers of lifetime sexual partners, cannabis use (women only) and ever having depression (men only). Tattooing has increased in popularity during the past decade. Yet tattoos still appear to be a marker for risk-taking behavior in adults."
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51863502_Who_Gets_Tattoos_Demographic_and_Behavioral_Correlates_of_Ever_Being_Tattooed_in_a_Representative_Sample_of_Men_and_Women

"Men and women ages 20-39 were most likely to have been tattooed, as were men with lower levels of education, tradesmen, and women with live-out partners. Tattooing was also associated with risk-taking behaviours, including smoking, greater numbers of lifetime sexual partners, cannabis use (women only) and ever having depression (men only). Tattooing has increased in popularity during the past decade. Yet tattoos still appear to be a marker for risk-taking behavior in adults."

I agree that tatts help you get laid
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,029 Member
    Doug_T wrote: »
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    mistwitch wrote: »
    I find it odd that this is a question. Is OP from a very conservative country? Or a small religious enclave in a remote mountain village? Is he a lot older than he looks? Or am I the odd one? Many of the men I know have tattoos. Many of them have many tattoos. Many of them are financially successful and many of them are attractive.

@Doug_T what triggered this question homie ??

oh..mell I am thinking on getting one but ive always been very cautious about it. The permanence of a tattoo jist makes me nervous, so im looking for great ideas more than anything. I think I want one to cover up a scar on my upper arm but wanted to do a check on both opinions and see if someone drops an idea that makes me go .."whoa...I want that."

My only advice is find a good artist - a good tattoo will not be cheap - good luck dude
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,029 Member

I agree that tatts help you get laid

Can confirm 👍
  • PAWGliacci
    PAWGliacci Posts: 346 Member

dis me
  • Doug_T
    Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
    Doug_T wrote: »
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    mistwitch wrote: »
    I find it odd that this is a question. Is OP from a very conservative country? Or a small religious enclave in a remote mountain village? Is he a lot older than he looks? Or am I the odd one? Many of the men I know have tattoos. Many of them have many tattoos. Many of them are financially successful and many of them are attractive.

@Doug_T what triggered this question homie ??

oh..mell I am thinking on getting one but ive always been very cautious about it. The permanence of a tattoo jist makes me nervous, so im looking for great ideas more than anything. I think I want one to cover up a scar on my upper arm but wanted to do a check on both opinions and see if someone drops an idea that makes me go .."whoa...I want that."

My husband is in management at a blue chip. He has tats. Admittedly they are not on his hands, face or neck. And contrary to obscure publications, he is well educated (Master's degree), not a tradesmen, is not nor has he ever been promiscuous, a smoker, a risk taker (actually very analytical) and he does not have depression. Though he did get his tats in his 20's and is now 50.

I get that some may try to villainize tattoos and the people that have them, but honestly tattoos are literally as personal as your own skin. If you can't decide what you want to get then you are not ready for a tattoo. If you are worried about what others may think of your tattoos, then you are not ready for a tattoo. If you buy into the BS that says your employment will be limited, then you are not ready for a tattoo.

Good luck to you.

Ya that actually sounds spot on. Prob not ready.....yet.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I'm not deterred by men having tattoos. Especially if there are stories behind them, or they are well done or it seems like a lot of thought was put into placement, aesthetics, etc.

Also, outside of facial tattoos or ones that are visible (on hands, wrists, neck) and related to certain criminal organizations and/or hate groups, I have not noticed any of the tattooed men I know having any difficulty finding employment. Some worked in factories, others as lawyers, one was a postal worker, many were and still are military.. all found employment and weren't denied based on their having tattoos. I will state none of them had tattoos anywhere above their ears.

For me, I guess tattoos don't much bother me because I find the body is a work of art and tattoos are merely adornment in the same way that makeup or jewelry are. The only difference being that tattoos are *mostly* permanent. And I dunno.. I like the notion of people being walking works of art. :)
  • KosmosKitten
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I don't mind them (find them kinda cool actually) and if I wasn't 63 I would have a small one on my ankle. The ones that people have on their face and neck though scare me. What's that going to look like when they are 80 years old! Yikes!

Hey, just pointing out: My aunt has a small rose tattoo on her ankle that she's had forever (longer than I've been alive) and it still looks great! If you were gonna get a tattoo, that would be one of the places to get it because ankles don't change much for *most* people.

So I guess I'm saying, it's still an option if you really, really want one. :wink:
  • KosmosKitten
    Good luck finding employment. You're pretty much limited to Sous Chef, Entertainer/Athlete, or ferris wheel operator for a traveling carnival (but even that I heard they're rebranding their image).

I hope this is the ultimate in sarcasm.

My mom said if you tattoo your body you're inviting the devil to your playground

The devil can come to my playground any time he wants. :wink: :joy:
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    I don't mind them (find them kinda cool actually) and if I wasn't 63 I would have a small one on my ankle. The ones that people have on their face and neck though scare me. What's that going to look like when they are 80 years old! Yikes!

Hey, just pointing out: My aunt has a small rose tattoo on her ankle that she's had forever (longer than I've been alive) and it still looks great! If you were gonna get a tattoo, that would be one of the places to get it because ankles don't change much for *most* people.

I very carefully placed all 3 of mine to avoid areas with skin movement and places that were likely to sag in later life. Ex. the tattoo on the back of my wrist is below the wristbone and not in the area where the wrist flexes.

Clearly I'm not a risk taker when I put that much thought into a tattoo, :D

For the record, I'm management level in government, have a Masters degree, and hate pot. There are managers above my level with visible tattoos.

My favourite pharmacy tech has impressive hand/finger/neck tattoos. Probably more that are hidden by the white smock. His customer service skills are exemplary.
  • KosmosKitten
    ythannah wrote: »

I very carefully placed all 3 of mine to avoid areas with skin movement and places that were likely to sag in later life. Ex. the tattoo on the back of my wrist is below the wristbone and not in the area where the wrist flexes.

Clearly I'm not a risk taker when I put that much thought into a tattoo, :D

For the record, I'm management level in government, have a Masters degree, and hate pot. There are managers above my level with visible tattoos.

My favourite pharmacy tech has impressive hand/finger/neck tattoos. Probably more that are hidden by the white smock. His customer service skills are exemplary.

I have tattoos, but I probably more fit that article's findings than the majority of people who have posted here (thus far). I have depression, I have had more sexual partners than the majority of my female friends (and several of my male friends), I have been known to be a risk taker, although I don't smoke pot (or smoke at all) or engage in doing/taking any illegal substances (never have), BUT, I still don't find it difficult to find jobs (to be fair, my tattoos are easily hidden under clothing for the time being).

I think the stigma about them is slowly changing as more people from my generation gain higher positions. It just takes awhile.
  • mshappyass2
    mshappyass2 Posts: 23 Member
    This is a two part kind of answer.
    First off, I LOVE tattoos.
    Second, I had bad or poorly done tattoos.
    So if they are done right and the right content, HELL YES!
  • Golden_Diamond
    Golden_Diamond Posts: 217 Member

I think I'm in love!! 😍
    Sweet_A wrote: »
    🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

e1fb9d46gka7.jpeg

• tinaBawesome
    tinaBawesome Posts: 92 Member
    Yes - that is all! 🤩
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,570 Member
    Good luck finding employment. You're pretty much limited to Sous Chef, Entertainer/Athlete, or ferris wheel operator for a traveling carnival (but even that I heard they're rebranding their image).

My mom said if you tattoo your body you're inviting the devil to your playground

:D my playground welcomes all bearded and tattooed
  • KosmosKitten

:D my playground welcomes all bearded and tattooed

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. :joy:
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,691 Member
    *snort* My wife tells me I can't get within 3 feet of her unless I'm clean shaven. I fear how far back I'd have to stand if I actually grew out a beard! lol