WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 614 Member
    Storming now and forecast is 98F (36C cuz I always have to look it up when my friends give me C) with predicted humidity of upper 70s... "feels like temps" could be 105F!!! Would be staying IN today except, of course, today is the day that my dear cohort friends from around the region decided (two months ago) that we'd get together for happy hour because we haven't seen each, in person, for over a year!!! Alas..... I may look like this when I get home.
    sgdl70f2f1s2.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    kymarai wrote: »
    Kelly It is really steamy here right now. Haven't had rain in our area in about 2 weeks. We really need it (after my concrete is done!)
    Machka We have an old waterbed frame with massive headboard. I keep decluttering, DH keeps filling back up! Do I mention the massive tv....
    My ideal bedroom would be simple. No dressers, no shelves, calm picture, no tv. Night stands and bed and maybe comfy chair.❤
    Kylia in Ohio

We had a European King bed, but we've separated it into two.
    We've each got a night stand.
    There is a small but tall dresser in which my husband keeps a few things, but nothing he'd need to get dressed in the morning, and my humidifier is on top from when I had my nose surgery last year. We could put the humidifier away, I suppose, but sometimes it does get a bit dry.
    My sock bin is in there (socks have a weird habit of multiplying!)
    I've got a row of books under my bed so that it looks like the bed is sitting on a shelf. Those books are for reading in bed.
    And there is a cat dome.

No chairs, no pictures on the walls, no headboards, no TV. :)
    All decorated in shades of blue. :)

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Michelle- the money thing remeinds me of Tom,I dont miss that a bit..
    Went and got Homer and Tom and Elena will keep Alfie overnight tonight so that i can get an early start tomorrow.
    This will be the last day of taking my son to work.. i have to pick him up a little early to take him to the PO to pick up mail
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    Pg73. Off to a meeting. Didn’t realize I missed a day!

I spray the bug spray about once a week.

RvRita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2021
    Barbara - You live in a beautiful place. Walking on the beach is wonderful. It has been a long while since I was able to walk on the beach during a minus tide. So much to see in tidepools! :star:

KJ – I like life, too. Living to 100 seems like a good life span, especially if I am healthy and enjoying life. :flowerforyou:

Kylia - We have an old queen-sized waterbed frame and have put our deep foam mattress on it. It is comfortable and I like having the drawers underneath. :smiley:

Carol in GA – Congrats on cool air in your car. Air conditioning is wonderful. :bigsmile:

Last night I worked on the baby blanket and ended up starting over. I had a nasty glitch. I wound up the yarn and will start over again today. This time I will be using a larger needle size and a longer cord between the needles. I have plenty of time. The baby is not due until October or early November. :bigsmile:

Yoga today!!! I look forward to it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Katla- your making me nervous to start my blanket with my friend
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Medee — Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Allie — 90 degrees and bad air quality doesn’t seem like a good time to go to the concert. Cooler weather would be nicer. I’m glad that insurance is paying for the c-pap. It is likely to make a big difference in your breathing and health. :star:

Pip — I hope your new mattress will be comfortable. :flowerforyou:

Tracey — You look nice with the haircut & have lovely complexion. :heart:

Debbie -- Did I spy a watermelon in your garden? I like the small ones best. :smiley:

Machka — The best thing in your post was your own comment. " Accomplished Tired" is a victory. :bigsmile:

I had the baby blanket about one third done, but there was a dropped stitch and a big hole. The mistake couldn’t be fixed so I've started over. :ohwell: I have plenty of time. Baby is due in late October or early November.

Katla in NW Oregon

It is a little cantaloupe. The variety is called Ambrosia. I tossed out the seeds from the ones I got from dad last year that he grew- never thought they would pop up all over the garden(and the path way and the tiny bit of soil between the deck and retaining wall.
    Hoping they produce as well as mom's- we planted a long raised bed of them at her place. They weren't quite ready when I was there but I see in the picture she posted that they are starting to be ready now. I will be sure and get some when I go up.
    Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Good morning working on the layout of the memoir. Got title pages etc done. It's a stretch for me as I have never done any office work, so I'm still on a learning curve. I still have to think about a possible intro (can't decide) and then it's the cover and blurb. Plus I have to decide whose names to change and which to keep real. :o
    Progress is being made.

Then I went off to the park on the bus to meet up with my French Circle. Managed to stagger along in bad French for nearly two hours. :p DH chickened out. He doesn't mind the lectures, but is self-conscious talking.

Now to make dinner. Sausage, sauerkraut and cabbage. :D<3

Much love to all. I'm in the, 'my life, my decision' boat. I have written down my wishes in that respect and given them to my son and put a copy with the will.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Money-Since my first real relationship in my 20s, I have not shared a bank account with a partner. I have always kept my own. I haven't fought with anyone about money since. Michele, that money is yours that you worked for and there really should be no argument about it. Your example is exactly why I stopped combining money.

Living-The other day, the mister mentioned getting long term care insurance. I told him I thought it was not worth it because if I get to that point, he should toss me off a cliff. If I can't go and do what I want, I don't want to be here.

Eating-My grandfather lived till he was 97. There were times in his late 80s and 90s when he wanted chocolate cake for dinner. If he wanted cake for dinner, it was perfectly acceptable at that point and he got it, especially if I was with him. Sometimes he got ice cream too. I still miss him.

Tracey-I love the haircut. I also believe insurance should pay at least part of the cost of a good bed. Sleeping is critical to our health.

Debbie-Your mother's garden haul looks wonderful. I wish we could have a garden of some size. We don't have a yard and we have to grow anything we do want in little greenhouses that sit on the deck. The critters mow them down otherwise.

Katla-Keep at it. You will get it. I tried knitting a few weeks ago and all I got out of it was a pile of frayed and subsequently cut strips of yarn. It's not an easy hobby. I admire those who get it.

Tina in CA

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Katla us too! Regular mattress in frame. I too love the drawers underneath. Just dont like the massive headboard/shelves/ mirror.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    kizanne2 wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    We drove to the gym then after we went to go look at mattresses. We have a sleep number bed now, have had it for 20 years and Kirby is waking up sore. They are sooooo expensive….. we bought one for 1700.00 , we are going to put our bed in the spare bedroom and we got a free adjustable frame to put it on. I figure for all the exercising we do to keep ourselves in shape, the least we can do is get a good nights rest.

Did you get a new sleep number bed or different kind?

Braless- at past a DD I have to wear a bra.

Aging - I so agree that as you get a certain age. You get to decide if you want to make decisions that will kill you. I mean face it we make them everyday. Sweets simply aren't good for you but we all eat a bit here or there. Why when we are 80 people feel like they can tell us how to eat. I get it because with my mom I just wanted her to stay around longer. I think we are wanting to hold on. But as the person aging it should be up to us. I used to say I didn't want to live past 40 (when I was younger than 40). But now I don't know. I just want to be healthy. If I'm somewhat healthy I enjoy life. Now I say I just want to die before my husband. I couldn't imagine out living him.

Kiz
    North Florida

Different kind. We got a medium pillow top bed, can’t remember the brand right now. Regularly 2889.00 and it was down to 1699.00.
  • dlfk202000
    edited July 2021
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Money-Since my first real relationship in my 20s, I have not shared a bank account with a partner. I have always kept my own. I haven't fought with anyone about money since. Michele, that money is yours that you worked for and there really should be no argument about it. Your example is exactly why I stopped combining money.

[
    Tina in CA

In both marriages, I have had joint accounts with both of them BUT I also have had my own accounts that dh# 2 knows about(started one when I was selling Tupperware) that is in my name only but is connected to our mutual account. I also have another one he knows about- needed to start one for our class reunion fund and had to have a personal savings too to open the class one. I have also had money that neither of them have known about. With hubby #1 it was a emergency thing, in case we needed it because he decided to quit a job on the spur of the moment again. He did that 8 times the first year out of the military but always got another one in a few days or less- just the unknowing was rough. That extra money was needed when he left without warning. I was able to keep my house for two years,paying for everything on my own(really pinching pennies for sure)
    With dh#2- I have an account he doesn't know about- mom does and the statements go to her house. Just in case money plus have cash set aside here. Dh knows about it but no clue how much is in it.

I have always been a saver- get that from my dad. One of these days I will find something I really want and will just buy it.
    right now the only thing I am spending my money on is my zumba class(and that is just $25 for the month but it was a reach for me to do that in the beginning but at that time, I had the other daycare kid and they paid me $25 a day when he came-one day a week). Now I don't have him but still do go to class. The only thing I do just for me.
    Still looking for ways to make extra cash even though I don't depend or really have to have it.
    So, back doing mystery shops and a little merchandising.
    We don't have any real bills- I am keeping the daycare open because he wants the tax write offs.

I am hoping mom will cut back on how much she grows or gets more help for next years garden.
    I will be up there more to help but need more help. I may be learning , at 60, how to drive a tractor. She is planning on buying one so she doesn't have to depend on the neighbors to come work the ground. She will be 79yrs old next year- she is in good health but that is a bit scary for me to think about.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    kymarai wrote: »
    Katla us too! Regular mattress in frame. I too love the drawers underneath. Just dont like the massive headboard/shelves/ mirror.

mom and dad had the massive waterbed frame with regular mattress(after the waterbed mattress wore out)- that was the first thing to go after dad passed. Mom hated that thing so slept in her chair for a long time. Now she has a great adjustable bed that doesn't take over the room. My nephew took the old one to CO with him. It took mom a while to get used to the new bed but really loves it now.

we had a water bed (hubby #1 and I) but no headboard. Too poor I guess when he bought it and never got one after that. That is what we had all 7 yrs we were married.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    edited July 2021
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: fire district volunteer/membership application form drafts 1.1 and 1.2 to SDAO HR expert with questions, draft drug and alcohol policy to Chief for suggestions/corrections, reconciled Discover card and paid bill, BP, cancelled Greeley reservations [sniff], made Roseburg reservations and plans to meet goddaughter and her six children at the Celtic Festival, line dancing,
    Bonus: one load laundry, beach stroll with Tracie and Shadow. Yesterday planted seed with S and R about serving on next board.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, T’ai Chi, dog group, make goat milk cheese, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Nothing but You, Do Your Thing, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick; practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    27-Write down 3 things you are grateful for, even if today was hard: 1-indoor plumbing, 2-Lone Ranch Beach with T and Shadow at minus low tide before the wind came up, 3-Joe.

Rebecca “flip and flop” are my ladies’ names too! :laugh: Somehow a Nudestock T-shirt seems counter-intuitive ;) I’d worry that a warm plug means trouble either with the appliance or the wiring… :love: the blue poppies, the collection of ladybugs not so much…
    Macha “…borrow a twin stroller…” Now I’m laughing so hard I’m hiccupping!
    Kylia so sorry your friend the contractor did substandard work. Difficult position.
    Kiz thanks for the Pickled Planet Tacqueria mix hint. Will look for it here, and if not, then next month at Trader Joe’s.
    Welcome @medee35 in the CSRA. Many of us here don’t :)
    Sue in WA fingers X’d for the ok to go back in the water.
    Annie “Bless all you caregivers!” Amen, amen!
    Tracey you have the most beautiful eyes! I’m thinking along similar lines. I’m taking an rx for high cholesterol which makes my joints and muscles ache, makes it hard to get out of my chair, painful to walk and dance. A little voice in the back of my head is saying… “maybe a sudden heart attack is not such a bad way to go…”
    Debbie :love: your volunteer melon. I’m guessing “mystery shopping” is an opportunity only available in population centers?
    Michele I’d hate to have to fight Joe for my money, fortunately that is not our dynamic. Good luck at the dentist!

Lovely walk this morning with T and Shadow. Minus tide, hundreds of sea stars, anemones, thousands of limpets and snails, even a half dozen tiny silver swift fish and a sand crab. Stuck out line dancing the whole two hours but sat out several dances. Pretty pooped.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 29, weigh/wii: 26/0/0; steps>6701=9586! vits=24.5, log=27, CI<CO=24, CI<250<CO=23, Tumble=19, Shadow=22, mfp=26, outside=34, up hill=29, clean 10=12.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=3, PW=2. Thurs: Fri:TC=4. Sat:PW=4. rX x5=4.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11: 142.9 grr! 7/18: 141.8
    7/25: 140.4  7/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=18 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Any nudist related quote on a shirt seems ridiculous, when you think about it. There's a cute one, "we are all nudists under our clothes". Then I had a tee shirt that said, " Garden naked, it puts pink in your cheeks". Interestingly enough, when I wore that picking up son from grade school, the moms avoided me like the plaque, but the dads well they were like "chatter boxes"! That " life" seems a world away!

On cleaning day #2.0. I have picked up eldest sons civilian clothes from his bedroom floor, to add to our load. That's my excuse anyways. Now I can see if I can run a vacuum thru his room, ( and not suck up a LEGO)! Then need to vacuum, living room, moving furniture, do library, and kitchen. Then I will do sons den area. Need to treat carpet as he has gotten some grease marks on it. Right now, I have an apron on and sipping coffee. Yes, yes don't rush me!
    🙃😁👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    We have the largest bedroom we've ever hand in this house. We have a queen bed just on the metal frame it came with, no headboard or frame. We have a 8 drawer dresser. There's a chair in the corner. We have clothes closets on each side leading into the bathroom. I have nothing on the walls. It looks like we are Amish, or at least practicing minimalists.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,773 Member
    Annie and Tracey--I remember my sister giving my mom a bad time because she took several naps a day. Mom would say I should be able to take a nap whenever I want. At her funeral the minster said now Shirley can nap all she wants and not feel gulty. My thought is who was she hurting.

Tracey--The haircut looks very nice. I always enjoy when I can put a face with a name.

All this talk about beds I told DH we need to go look at ajustable beds. Right now he sleeps in the recliner and I start out in the bed, but middle of the night I go sleep in my recliner.

Going to be another HOT day, so heading home after work and do some inside cleaning. DH is off next week and I work until Friday. His plan to paint the foundation on the house. See how that goes, we did go buy a paint gun last weekend. This could be interesting before it is done.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • dlfk202000
    We have the largest bedroom we've ever hand in this house. We have a queen bed just on the metal frame it came with, no headboard or frame. We have a 8 drawer dresser. There's a chair in the corner. We have clothes closets on each side leading into the bathroom. I have nothing on the walls. It looks like we are Amish, or at least practicing minimalists.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

I would love a lot LESS on our walls- husband has covered the walls in the bedroom, his room and the hall with pictures/prints- not all the same style at all. Some are nature prints, some are memoribilia (sp?), some sci-fi, . I do have one wall in the hall that is full that I did- all family pictures. I have prints I bought on the last cruise but they are still in the roll, not framed, because there is no where to put them.
    In our living room, there is a very large print, only one on that wall, that is the same one that was on Star Trek, in Picard's ready room. A friend of one of dh's close friends is the artist so we got a copy of it signed by Andy(we have two different ones of his that are signed). I am not a huge fan of it but that is the only wall big enough to put that print so that is where it is.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member

Now to make dinner. Sausage, sauerkraut and cabbage. :D<3

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Yummy! That is one of my favorites. My mouth is watering!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR