60 yrs and up

Replies

• zagadee
    zagadee Posts: 22 Member
    Hello Beautiful people 😃
    Am new here trying to find a partner who we can support each other on this journey I need motivation I have been on this journey for all my life am 50yrs now hope anyone can understand.
    We can motivate, support, encourage, advise each other I stay in Georgia Augusta.but still we find ways to uplift ourselves throughout
    Thanks
  • healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 102 Member
    edited July 2021
    How accurate are the calories listed on foods I put in?? Seems they are all over the place. I had a cup and a half of home made bean soup for lunch. ( ham, white beans, celery carrot onion potato and broth) It comes up as 293 calories. Sound about right ????? not crazy amounts of ham or potato.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hi @zagadee ! Welcome ! I'm on low carbs diet but I can be there for you. I also have open diary for friends.🍓
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    How accurate are the calories listed on foods I put in?? Seems they are all over the place. I had a cup and a half of home made bean soup for lunch. ( ham, white beans, celery carrot onion potato and broth) It comes up as 293 calories. Sound about right ????? not crazy amounts of ham or potato.

@healhierhappiness, it can be chancy to use other people's home-made recipe entries in the food database. We don't know how much of which ingredients they used, compared to what we used.

The most accurate method would be to use the MFP recipe builder when you make the soup, to figure out the calories in your personal soup recipe.

However, it can work out OK to use the MFP database for homemade foods, if we're comfortable with rough approximation, and especially if the food isn't something we're going to eat very often (in a context where most of our food estimates are more precise). Personally, if I were going to do that, I'd pick one of the database entries at the higher end of the calorie options, just to be conservative, unless I had really good reason to believe my soup was lower calorie than most people's.

Personally, I usually log my homemade foods ingredient by ingredient, using the recipe builder if it's something that's split into multiple servings. In rare cases, such as when I eat food someone else has prepared, I'd use someone else's homemade database entry, and pick one toward the higher end on calories.

It's really a question of how precise you'd like to be. If you can lose weight successfully while being more approximate, that's not an unreasonable route to go.

Best wishes!
  • healhierhappiness
    HI Ann Thank you this makes good sense. I previously used another site and had done my own logging like you suggested. I guess I may have to do that here too. appreciate your help :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,254 Member
    Drive by check in. Hot as hell in Idaho - nine straight days over 100. I'm in and out so I get some relief, but it is still tiring.

Wifey has an appointment with the oncologist today. Hoping for some good news. Hanging in there trying to stay sane.

Hope everything goes well.
  • AnnPT77
    Glad to hear you're hanging in there, @alteredsteve175, despite the challenges, including those truly wilting/withering heat levels in your area. Hoping the onco appointment goes well for both of you - I'm sure there's hope and anxiety ahead of it.

On another front, I treated myself to a Covid test yesterday. I'm all vaxed, but was having a set of respiratory symptoms over a couple of days that included some things not typical of my annual seasonal allergies, so decided to go for a test out of an abundance of caution. (I'd profoundly hate to shrug it off, later learn I'd passed the virus to one of my friends who has health challenges!)

Being retired, it was easy (though a mild annoyance) to stay away from other folks until I got the test results, which were negative as I'd expected. Test itself was easy to schedule, done in a drive-through clinic at a former auto service facility, took less than a hour despite a bit of a line, and I never had to get out of my car. They'd said results could take 2-3 days, but I got them back just a bit over 24 hours after the test, via an online portal. Easy peasy, and relieved to have evidence I'm not creating risk for others (even though I was assuming it'd be negative).

Hope everyone else is having a great week!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    annliz23 wrote: »
    Drive by check in. Hot as hell in Idaho - nine straight days over 100. I'm in and out so I get some relief, but it is still tiring.

Wifey has an appointment with the oncologist today. Hoping for some good news. Hanging in there trying to stay sane.

annliz23 wrote: »

Hoping all goes well today. It’s way hotter in Idaho than in Florida! Drink lots of water 💦
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Hope all is okay?? Sitting around waiting for news must be excruciating. :(
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I hadn't checked back to this thread in a long time. Not sure why? I'm 67 and feel pretty good. Probably healthier than I was feeling back in my 20's-60. Took me way too long to treat myself right and worry about my own health.
    Retired but keeping busy. Miss my job(some days) and the income but wouldn't trade it for free time.

Stay well everybody and enjoy your day! <3

Congrats on your healthy lifestyle. Retired here too. Don’t miss the job at all (and I had a good gig!).
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're hanging in there, @alteredsteve175, despite the challenges, including those truly wilting/withering heat levels in your area. Hoping the onco appointment goes well for both of you - I'm sure there's hope and anxiety ahead of it.

On another front, I treated myself to a Covid test yesterday. I'm all vaxed, but was having a set of respiratory symptoms over a couple of days that included some things not typical of my annual seasonal allergies, so decided to go for a test out of an abundance of caution. (I'd profoundly hate to shrug it off, later learn I'd passed the virus to one of my friends who has health challenges!)

Being retired, it was easy (though a mild annoyance) to stay away from other folks until I got the test results, which were negative as I'd expected. Test itself was easy to schedule, done in a drive-through clinic at a former auto service facility, took less than a hour despite a bit of a line, and I never had to get out of my car. They'd said results could take 2-3 days, but I got them back just a bit over 24 hours after the test, via an online portal. Easy peasy, and relieved to have evidence I'm not creating risk for others (even though I was assuming it'd be negative).

Hope everyone else is having a great week!

Hey Ann, same deal with BH and myself. Fully vax’xed, but came down with some respiratory stuff (ie summer cold? Kinda odd, since we continue to mask and social distance). Got tested since we were soon off to visit new grand baby. Went to county site. No wait, and got our results in 5hrs. Happy Thursday!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    I do hope she'll be home very soon @alteredsteve175 & stays well. It's always hot as hell during the summer here in central California. Fortunately this year it doen's feel too hot in our house. One of our sons put up new drywall in our kitchen last November & sprayed texture on it. It looks beautiful plus that part of the house wasn't insulated so it made a difference along with new window air conditioners & a barrier curtain in the pantry area that goes out to the backyard , so not complaints but the heat does take alot of energy out of me & I do take my dogs out every morning but it's already warm. I'm glad it's half over.I've been learning to be more creative with calories since mfp gives me low calories to lose weight since I don't have a lot more to lose but it's not easy & I'm still going over most days with a few successful days in between
  • AnnPT77
    Thanks for the good wishes, all.

Unfortunately, wife's potassium levels were very low, even though she was not dehydrated. Oncologist sent her to the ER. They administered potassium intravenously and she was admitted to hospital for two or three days (I hope that's all) for observation. Now we will be monitoring her fluid intake and trying to get her to drink something with electrolytes in it.

The fun never ends. 😟

FWIW, if she likes sweets, a good brand of blackstrap molasses has a meaningful amount of potassium, tastes good in lots of things (oatmeal, smoothies, baked goods, etc.) - once she's home again.

It sounds like the hospital admission will be a good thing, out of caution. I know you'll be there with her a lot, but I'm hopeful it may give you a bit of chance to catch up on sleep when at home, or other such self-care. Sending strength and well-wishes to both of you!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Thanks for the good wishes, all.

Unfortunately, wife's potassium levels were very low, even though she was not dehydrated. Oncologist sent her to the ER. They administered potassium intravenously and she was admitted to hospital for two or three days (I hope that's all) for observation. Now we will be monitoring her fluid intake and trying to get her to drink something with electrolytes in it.

The fun never ends. 😟

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
  • healhierhappiness
    hello just Poppin in to say hi. Have a good weekend and resist them food temptations that may come your way. How is everyone doing????
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,289 Member
    hello just Poppin in to say hi. Have a good weekend and resist them food temptations that may come your way. How is everyone doing????

And hello back.

I need to wrangle with the VA over a couple of issues. I’ve been putting it off. Sigh. But it needs doing.
    Other than that? All is quiet on the home front. Which is exactly how we like it.