WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2021
    Rori—I watched the Olympics for a while today. I got busy working on a baby blanket for our unborn grandson & I lost interest in the competitions. I got some good knitting done. There is much left to do. :smiley::heart:

Katla
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Last training run before my event this coming weekend. I was working on a bit of speed. I am not fast, but I'd like to get back to where I was 2 or 3 years ago by the time my January event rolls around.

uqrwi7pm6oge.png
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    On beds and bedrooms:
    When DH passed, I took down the framed photos of New Mexico, and replaced with a few of him. They include one of him surfing in Hawaii, so I replaced the bedspread to mirror the colors of ocean, sand and seafoam in that photo. I hung crystals in the east facing window so I have 'rainbows' on the ceiling and walls every morning. Also put my collection of orchids by the bay windows, and the only other piece of furniture is a bookcase tucked well into a niche. The whole effect is calm and spa-like. It's now my favorite room in the house.

My brother, age 61 lives with me. His end stage liver disease is robbing him of any quality of life. He had endoscopy yesterday, and now has to be on a bland soft food diet for 10 days. He was already depressed, and this isn't helping. He stays in bed about 80% of the time and I bring him whatever he wants to eat. Lately, it's been fruit popsicles. Until he transitions to a nursing home, hospice or heaven, I will do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable. The freezer is stocked with about 5 different flavors of popsicles.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to build a life of my own. My few friends here have been taking me to lunch and introducing me to other single senior women. It's been fun to go out and have conversations about our rich experiences and our current bucket list items. Seems there are a lot of ladies in my area looking for travel partners, and I'd be game once I have more time.

Is anyone else glued to the Olympics? I love them all, but especially the swimmers and water polo players. The stories and pictures of their families back home cheering from long distance puts a lump in my throat.

Stay well. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Is anyone else glued to the Olympics? I love them all, but especially the swimmers and water polo players. The stories and pictures of their families back home cheering from long distance puts a lump in my throat.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

yes, have been watching the Olympics when I can- recorded it while I was at Zumba class and just finished watching it. Love the swimming and gymnastics. Really looking forward to the paralympics
  • Machka9
    On beds and bedrooms:
    When DH passed, I took down the framed photos of New Mexico, and replaced with a few of him. They include one of him surfing in Hawaii, so I replaced the bedspread to mirror the colors of ocean, sand and seafoam in that photo. I hung crystals in the east facing window so I have 'rainbows' on the ceiling and walls every morning. Also put my collection of orchids by the bay windows, and the only other piece of furniture is a bookcase tucked well into a niche. The whole effect is calm and spa-like. It's now my favorite room in the house.

My brother, age 61 lives with me. His end stage liver disease is robbing him of any quality of life. He had endoscopy yesterday, and now has to be on a bland soft food diet for 10 days. He was already depressed, and this isn't helping. He stays in bed about 80% of the time and I bring him whatever he wants to eat. Lately, it's been fruit popsicles. Until he transitions to a nursing home, hospice or heaven, I will do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable. The freezer is stocked with about 5 different flavors of popsicles.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to build a life of my own. My few friends here have been taking me to lunch and introducing me to other single senior women. It's been fun to go out and have conversations about our rich experiences and our current bucket list items. Seems there are a lot of ladies in my area looking for travel partners, and I'd be game once I have more time.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Your room sounds lovely!

I'm glad you're making connections and building a life of your own. :) But sad about your brother. :(

Yes ... I'm watching the Olympics when I can ... especially Australia in the pool!! :grin:

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited July 2021
    Rori - So glad to hear you are getting out and about and making new friends. I have made lots of acquaintances since I've been in Hove, but the pandemic made getting to know new people a bit difficult. I haven't any real, deep, friends here, but we have the family closeby and I never feel lonely because of technology. I see Gwendolen every so often and have had weekend visitors twice recently. Life is full, but I would like a good local friend. I have found, in the past, that making that first overture is quite scary, almost like a first date!! :p I think I will know, when I see someone, if they are the right person. <3
    That has reminded me to ring my old yoga friend. I remember how nervous I was when I first asked her in for coffee! :D
    I love close girlfriends. One of the great pleasures of my life. A good 'one to one' chat is the best thing ever.

This afternoon our singing group is getting together in person for the first time since the pandemic. I am going to take an Uber up to the venue, which has moved out central Hove. :# Maybe I'll get a lift back, or the bus. DH is staying at home, but I would like to say hello to all the faces I have seen on Zoom over all these months! We will resume Zooming after this week.

Going to go for a run after breakfast.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited July 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: T’ai Chi, BP.
    Bonus: library, post office, Farmers’ Market, bottle return, Grocery Outlet
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, dog group, make goat milk cheese, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila little time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    Jump back July:
    28-Think about what you can learn from a recent problem: How delicate interpersonal relations can be. Tread lightly, carefully. Put a guard on my lips, oh Lord!

Blew off dog group today, took a nap instead. Then marched in place while watching the Secret Pools/Yosemite National Park YouTube. Whoever built those trails, moved those rocks, carved those stairs, installed those iron railings? SMH.
    Lisa “34 long” rotflmaowmp! “… Vicks VapoRub” :no_way: Recently learned that original pure Vaseline actually has some antibiotic properties, but VapoRub??? No way!
    Tracey I like your couch. It has the same button tufting as our chaise, but much nicer upholstery.
    Rori love your bedroom, the colors, the crystals, the rainbows. ((hugs))

Bedroom: Our queen mattress and box springs sit on the floor so our Skye Terrier can jump off without hurting her shoulders. I have a 3 drawer dresser for clothes, a small 3 pine dresser for linens, Joe has a night stand, a big 5 drawer dresser for clothes, a huge 6 drawer dresser full of DVDs. Also crowding in is our “dolly couch” a whorehouse sofa/chaise lounge from Sally Standford’s Pine Street house, Shadow’s giant crate, a TV we don’t watch on top of Joe’s dressers, five plats and a grow light on the windowsill. The walls are the same 80’s imitation wood paneling as in the living/dining room. I hate it, Joe loves it. I’m lazy. There is stays. Neither of us has much trouble falling asleep ;)

Too sleepy for more… ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    July: leaner/stronger/kinder than June.
    daily: sit with Joe: 29, weigh/wii: 26/0/0; steps>6701=7076 vits=25.5, log=28, CI<CO=25, CI<250<CO=24, Tumble=19, Shadow=22, mfp=27, outside=34, up hill=29, clean 10=14.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD=. Wed:TC=3, PW=2. Thurs: Fri:TC=4. Sat:PW=4. rX x5=4.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/4: 140.7 7/11: 142.9 grr! 7/18: 141.8
    7/25: 140.4  7/31:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=19 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Tracey – I was never told that I couldn’t have my money, only that temporarily it would be used to pay bills. But I would be getting the money. Really wish I had someone who would cut my bangs for me. A while ago friends of mine from high school came to visit. They saw a picture of Jess and said “that’s definitely you”. We definitely look very similar, only she has brown eyes where I have blue eyes. Headboards I really don’t have a problem with. Now footboards...that’s another story. We have one on one of the beds at the condo. Thank goodness I only have to make that bed up a few times a year. What a pain!

Barbie – the other day one of my neighbors mentioned a dog belonging to another neighbor, that she hadn’t seen the dog and since it was elderly she wondered if it had to be put down. The next day I saw the owner walking the dog. I’m thinking that since the dog is pretty old, it may be having trouble with the heat and so his owner only walks him during the morning. The blacktop has had a chance to get warm during the day so she doesn’t take the dog out at night. This morning as I was walking down one street, I saw the dog out. When I came back (maybe 10 minutes later) the dog was inside. That’s what leads me to think the heat may be bothering it.

Rori – there’s a special place in heaven for you. Your room sounds so wonderful, especially the crystals.

Can’t seem to get to sleep. Going to try again now.

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    edited July 2021
    Hi folks. I’m a couple of days behind so some of these comments might be out of date.
    Welcome to all the new people. I hope you enjoy being a member of this group group.

Heather -
    It sounds like you will have a wonderful time with grandchildren and your friend Gwendoline. Sorry to hear about your niece and her boyfriend. Hopefully they will only have a very mild case.
    Penny -
    What a great adventure. It’s wonderful that you can get to see your family in such exciting circumstances. Enjoy your cruising.
    Machka-
    Bravo for losing the weight. Hopefully it will continue to drop if that’s what you want it to do.
    Tracey-
    😍 You’re a new craft room. May you enjoy it for many years to come. That looks like a wonderful idea you have with your family especially the Snowbirds.
    Julie -
    So sorry to hear about your sister. It’s difficult when you live in another country especially in these times.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited July 2021
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Last training run before my event this coming weekend. I was working on a bit of speed. I am not fast, but I'd like to get back to where I was 2 or 3 years ago by the time my January event rolls around.

uqrwi7pm6oge.png

unr816j37yt5.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Ossa_(Tasmania)

Also rowed 2 km, lifted weights, and did Pilates!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    July Plans

• Pilates - about once a week.
    • Audax meeting and "work" - that's the long distance cycling club of which I'm President (and hold several other positions).
    • Designing two 50 km routes for Audax. These need to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging.
    • Cycle a 50 km route. Plus shorter rides.
    • Run at least one 5 km distance.
    • Run a 6.2 km event on July 24.
    • Climb Mount Ossa again virtually as part of a stair climbing challenge. Mt Ossa is the tallest mountain in Tasmania (1617 metres = 450 floors * 20 stairs/floor).
    • Back to school! I'm taking a 5 week course called 'Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)' . It's all online and work-at-our-own-pace with no formal assignments, exams, etc. I am about halfway through and will finish it in July.
    • Bees! My husband and I are booked for a refresher course about bees.
    • My husband's medical appointments.
    • Plus, of course, my 2021 To Do List: getting organise, simplifying, etc. I've got 4 projects on the go right now and I "switch-task" between them.

That's all in addition to almost full-time work (data) and caring for my husband who has a severe traumatic brain injury and heart issues (heart attack in May).

Machka in Oz

Pilates - our classes ended (for now) but we purchased a reformer and I've been doing some since, especially recently. I love doing leg circles: https://abcfitstudio.com/trythis-legcircles/ I'm not very flexible but I feel like they help me stretch my hamstrings and even just lying there with my feet in the air feels good especially after a run.

Cycle a 50 km route - done! :) And some other cycling too.

Run at least one 5 km distance - done! Several in fact. :)

Run a 6.2 km event on July 24 - they moved it to August 1.

Climb Mount Ossa again virtually as part of a stair climbing challenge - done!

5 week course called 'Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)' - done! I liked this course and learned a few things.

Bees! My husband and I took for a refresher course about bees.

My husband's medical appointments - done! And miracle of miracles ... we had no appointments this week!

Audax meeting and "work" - that's the long distance cycling club of which I'm President (and hold several other positions). Plus designing two 50 km routes for Audax. These need to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging.
    -- meetings done, still several things to do
    -- just about finished designed one 50 km route and planning to work on more this weekend.

The extra stuff from my list ... not much. I've been tired this month.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Wonderful 5k run. Breezy day - lovely rollers. I had slept well, so the running was a bit easier.
    I pass this café on my run and, at this time in the morning, a yoga group of women is using the deck.
    qm7zlj55qpj8.jpg

As I was running back I saw these two women on the beach. Just what I was talking about earlier. :D
    nhmx4rvfmz3x.jpg

I took the morning off and gave myself a spa morning. :p Hair, nails etc all done. Face on.
    I'm ready for my audience. :laugh: Wearing a dress! :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Kylia, thanks for your compassion about the library. that reminds me I need to reserve for tomorrow.

Machka a cozy bed area is so nice.
  • bananasandoranges
    On beds and bedrooms:

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Rori, you have a heavy load in family health care. You sound pretty upbeat and positive in reading you; with decor, rainbows on the ceiling, meeting potential travel partners, talking about bucket lists.
  • Machka9
    edited July 2021
    Machka-
    Bravo for losing the weight. Hopefully it will continue to drop if that’s what you want it to do.

I do want to lose weight and I do hope it continues. It just kind of surprised me. When I lost weight in 2015, I lost at a rate of 1 kg/week but it took a while of eating 1250 calories a day before I finally lost anything.

In the past 2 years I've very gradually gone a little bit up and a little bit down.

This time, my appetite diminished a few weeks ago and I've gradually been eating less, without tracking particularly regularly, and all of a sudden lost weight - 1.3 kg in a week!! We'll see what happens this weekend.

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    Terri thanks

Heather awesome about the 5K run

sensitive to alcohol recently
    I seem to be become "sensitive" to alcohol again. I spend many years having only about 3 glasses per year (max I think, just cause it made me feel icky. Yesterday out with a friend we split a big glass of wine : so 125 ml each. I felt less clear minded after just a tiny bit of wine, less than half a glass and I feel yucky today whereas I had had a good dinner.

I think I may need to not drink wine or anything for a while. its not a big deal. I enjoy the taste of red wine and often I don't mind the slight feeling of half a glass of wine, but this time really not.

Sensitive conversation with a friend
    We had a sensitive conversation yesterday so I skipped any drink (we usually get a glass of wine each with meal- very common in France in the evening). Then on the way back to the subway we stopped to split a glass of wine at a place we sometimes go to.

Since he's a rather close friend, I told him about my skin cancer. I don't really feel it's merited to speak about every booboo, but at the same time, he tells me about a lot of things (this problem, that problem) so I try to tell major things. sometimes it's a bit of an effort for me. That might be surprising with all I write, but maybe because I speak less I have more of a "need" to write.
    It don't easily share "uncomfortable" things with all sorts of close friends, whereas very often I listen to them at length (I enjoy hearing about people) but I know more balance is needed.

Then shortly after the conversation got much more uncomfortable, which is not common. He seemed sort of angry and not really merited and not really the way we tend to communicate.

I don't know if it's because
    - of the previous sensitive conversation
    - of having a bit of wine made me feel a bit off-balance, and less able to keep the conversation on even keel after sensitive conversation
    - having spoken about cancer.

Telling or not telling a close friend or close friends about skin cancer, which is not a big deal
    I hadn't mention the cancer to this friend (or to nearly anyone so far for a few reasons
    - it seems not worthwhile to mention to everyone every ailment
    - on the large scheme of things we all have to deal with at our age (late 50s) having a little thing on outer surface that needs to be removed a few millimetres in different directions (maybe a couple of centimetres wide or so) and having to wear long sleeves and sunscreen always, summer and winter and having to go to the dermatologist every 3 months, with 4% chance of metastatis upon last thing I checked up on online (whereas many or most of us all know people who have breast cancer, prostate cancer, and worse, deaths to deal with, depression, or family members with addiction, and more) seems quite minor. a relative non-issue.
    - his only sibling died when he was around 15 or 17 or so and it rather defined his life. he made this and that decision - for example to have 3 kids so that if one died the other two wouldn't be only children, and so on. (meaning that it was a bad experience for him to be the only surving child). He also made some major life decisions at that time, that he might question. I was afraid that mentioning it he might feel a bit upset (which he might) in an underlying way.
    - I had my bloodwork issues about 6 months ago and I told a new neighbour-friend that was inviting me for group meals and coffees often, that I was getting a bone marrow aspiration. I don't know if it's that but around then he seemed to start avoiding me, suddenly without explanation. I would think he didn't do that intentionally, but he's a guy who seems often to stay on a sort of superficial level in a way. I think for people maybe having had enough with death or illness, and afraid, they might try to get away from that.

Reasons for telling
    - However he did say he had noticed that I was wearing long sleeves all the time now. So I was, for that reason at least, glad to have told him. I don't like the idea that a rather close friend think that I am suddenly trying to hide my body, or suddenly have a complex.
    - It's what I'm experiencing and he tells me when he has to go the eye-doctor or see the painter or about his daughter's mood, or his father's health or his mother's lost credit card. I definitely share less, but I know it's important that it be somewhat balanced, not me just listening, or both of us will find it unfulfilling and boring. I don't think it's always like that. but we used to mostly talk about work stuff- so it was common content - and just little bits about ouside life from time to time, but now we are becoming friends outside of work. So it may be something to watch. Long term I think there needs to be balance.

wearing long sleeves in summer
    At the moment - for summer, I wear a long sleeve open white or off white shirt or light linen jacket over t-shirt or tank top or something like that...I switch from a few knee length dresses to the one long linen summer dress that have and mostly thin cotton jeans. I'm really low in the clothing department after having gained weight and a year and half of complicated clothes shopping. Not being able to wear short sleeves or sleeveless adds to the situation.

I would assume that there are ways I can figure out to were cute long sleeves things. no problem in winter and early fall and early spring, right ? but I'm really not into clothes right now, and wearing a white or off white blouse over a t-shirt looks a bit boxy, and for summer, looks like I'm trying to hide my body, which I am not!

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    <3