What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Nice summer morning, so I took the bike off the trainer and rode outside before work. Thirty miles in 1:53:00 (16mph). Will do a 35 minute trail run this afternoon.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Yoga...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Around 7500m today on the rower (around 40 minutes). That was it. Golf tonight.

Took yesterday off, didn't feel all that great. Had to get my wife and daughter from the airport in Phoenix (90 minutes each way). They had been gone all week. I was getting tired of only talking to my animals, so I'm pretty excited they are back in town.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Today, 24.2 mile easy pace bike ride. Pushed the pace a bit at the end, because it looked like a storm might be coming in. Still slow, still over half the ride zone 3 (of 5). Mid 80s F, humid.

This ride ended a hiatus from activity that started over the weekend: First, I was feeling under the weather; then I decided I should just-in-case get a Covid test and self-isolate until I got the results (negative, what I expected), all of which made me grumpy. Missed a couple of rows, which is always a grumpiness multiplier.
    @AnnPT77 -- I hope to be just working out at 75. That's pretty incredible about your friend. Not like you're a slouch (you underestimate yourself quite a bit BTW), but I'm always stunned at the folks that keep working out as hard as they do at over 70.

J. is a marvel, one of my role models. She's as generally capable physically as (I'd say) an average active women in her 30s if not younger, still lifts routinely (has since her 30s), has no difficulty rowing for hours in a day at workshops or camps I've attended with her, walks miles most days (with dog). Last year, she needed a hip replacement (had a cracked bone) and was rowing up to a couple of days before surgery, and back in a boat rowing literally 30 days to the day after the surgery. She needs/takes no routine prescription meds. She's a great example of the value of working out and staying at a healthy weight for decades, as a way to increase odds of a healthy, functional, happy life long-term. Her husband, same age, is equally active and healthy.

It's kind of you to say I underestimate myself . . . but knowing quite a few people my age and older who are at least as capable and more than I am, I feel like our culture underestimates what many people could be doing, what physical condition they could be in, at age 60+, with a lifestyle that fosters that strength and health. I grew up around a lot of active, hard-working farm/working women (and men) who were vital and strong in 60s, 70s, and beyond, which sets a standard, in my mind. Low self-expectations can be a kind of curse.

I'm betting you see similar trends in your long-term active or athletic older friends, as well as in yourself
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)

Strength:
    GTG15MOM-Press/Pull/Push/Squat/Hollow
    HSPU: 10x2r (20r)
    Pull-up: 10x4r (40r)
    Dip: 10x4r (40r)
    Squat: 10x8r (80r)
    Hollow Leg Lifts: 10x8r (80r)
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Added an addition glute focused day today at 8 sets. 3 hip thrusts, 2 Summo dl, 3 glute kickbacks. Now rest.
  • Djproulx
    Endurance work in the pool today. Easy 200 warmup, then a 2800yd pyramid: 8x50, 4x100, 2x 200, 1x400, 2x 200, 4x100, 8x 50. EZ 200 cool down.

3,200 yds total.
  • Djproulx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

..... I feel like our culture underestimates what many people could be doing, what physical condition they could be in, at age 60+, with a lifestyle that fosters that strength and health........... Low self-expectations can be a kind of curse.

Amen.
  • 2 hours Qi Gong, restful day
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Seated cable rows
    Lat pulldowns
    Standing overhead press
    lateral raises
    machine presses
    Band squats
  • MikePfirrman
    Had to repair a chip in the auto windshield and the guy showed up really late, so I didn't get in as much as I'd like rowing (did 3 X 1000m as hard as sustainable) after a decent lift with 8 supersets. Finally did some 70 lb KB swings. Felt decent. I usually do sets of 16 on the 53 lb one, but kept these to sets of 12. Lots of pushups, pressups and assisted pullups as well. Also some light KB deadlifts (with the 70 lb one).
  • AnnPT77
    7k row in the quad, about half of the distance interval pieces (10 strokes hard, 10 strokes moderate) since we got a blessedly cooler day. No one in the boat younger than 65: Two of us around 65 (not under), the other two more like 75. Row starts and ends with the 4 of us carrying the 40-foot boat between boathouse and river.

After, one of the 70-somethings and I did a 5 mile mostly paved-trail walk, leisure/chat pace, with lunch (impromptu) in the beer garden at the turnaround point.

Have I mentioned how much I enjoy retirement? 😉
  • AnnPT77
    7957m rowing bow in the quad, with some interval pieces in there when we had clear lines, since it was again blessedly cool (60s F to 70s, sunny).
  • Djproulx
    Skipped the long ride yesterday in favor of a group kayaking trip to listen to the Newport Jazz Festival from the water. Couple miles of paddling around the harbor burned a few calories, but it was strictly for fun.

2000yd open water swim this morning. Lake water temp is perfect, so no wetsuit needed. 75 minute aerobic run followed by some deep tissue massage work later today.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Leg day:

4 sets squats
    2 sets bulg split squats
    4 sets leg ext
    5 sets prone leg curl
    5 sets calfs
  • MikePfirrman
    Didn't think moving from 53 lb KBs to 70 lb KB swings on Friday would make me feel that sore, I was wrong. Worst DOMS that I've had in years.

Did an hour row today to work out the soreness. Very slowly.
  • jlee9696
    jlee9696 Posts: 2 Member
    Legs:

4 sets back squats
    3 sets hip thrusts
    3 sets split squats
    4 sets hamstring curls
    3 sets split squats

Loved every minute of it :)
  • Djproulx
    Rest day today. Really enjoyed a little time on the yoga mat this morning. Nothing more strenuous than cutting the grass planned for later today.

A higher volume week starts tomorrow. Coach has 15 hours of cardio work, 1.5hrs strength work scheduled for me. We're focused on really building swim and bike endurance, along with a threshold run tomorrow. :smile:
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    edited August 2021
    Thursday
    A truly poor day for exercise. I worked until 3 p.m. (as I booked half the day off) then drove to Scotland. I arrived just before midnight, and almost immediately fell asleep.

This was for a scuba trip I was organising. 5 people dropped out at the last minute. This created a risk I would be out of pocket, but fortunately that risk did not matetialise.

Friday
    There was a storm in the North Sea, which bought in tall waves so the diving looked ropey. This was fine for this day, as we were diving the Farnes, South of where we were staying, in England. This was sheltered.

One buddy pair had some seals on the first dive. I didn't see any, but got two lovely dives on reefs, about 20m deep. There were dead men's fingers, wrasse, blennies, crabs, a giant lobster and some nudibranch.

Saturday
    The skipper in Scotland thought diving could be possible if we left early enough. It turned out not to be the case, so we went for a walk instead. I got 15 miles with a few hills in. Everyone joined me initially, but started to grumble after a few miles, and so all but one turned back.

Sunday
    Diving.
    We were blown out in Scotland, but managed to book the Farnes again. The dives were brilliant - I was assaulted by seals for most of both dives.

Monday
    I drove home, which had good traffic sovwas only 7 hours.

I am off for an evening climb, I will be at the wall soon.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Half and hour on the recumbent bike on level 7. plus 3 weight machines