THIS time I WILL SUCCEED!

Hello Everyone! My name is Melissa...I am starting YET again tto try to regain control of my eating. I know that 'logging' works b/c it has helped me before; SO, here I am.

A few months ago, I fell & hurt my back. It turns out that I have a herniated disc...OMG...the PAIN! Due to this 'inconvinience" I had to stop my exercises(Beachbody's P90 program and CURVES) I am feeling stronger; I thank God daily because I can WALK!! The doctor had ordered me to lose TEN pounds BUT I have NOT...atleast, I have not gained, right? I am scared as to what he will say when I see him on Monday, March 9th...I know he will not be happy. In any event, I hope to resume my workouts next week...I know I will have to modify All of the moves but I want to be FIT AND HEALTHY!! HMMM, I think I will begin with Slim in Six Start it up??

I look foward to reporting my SUCCESS!!

laters,
melissa

Replies

• tooFAT2
    tooFAT2 Posts: 29
    Hello Everyone! My name is Melissa...I am starting YET again tto try to regain control of my eating. I know that 'logging' works b/c it has helped me before; SO, here I am.

A few months ago, I fell & hurt my back. It turns out that I have a herniated disc...OMG...the PAIN! Due to this 'inconvinience" I had to stop my exercises(Beachbody's P90 program and CURVES) I am feeling stronger; I thank God daily because I can WALK!! The doctor had ordered me to lose TEN pounds BUT I have NOT...atleast, I have not gained, right? I am scared as to what he will say when I see him on Monday, March 9th...I know he will not be happy. In any event, I hope to resume my workouts next week...I know I will have to modify All of the moves but I want to be FIT AND HEALTHY!! HMMM, I think I will begin with Slim in Six Start it up??

I look foward to reporting my SUCCESS!!

laters,
    melissa
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    You'll do great. Start a new reasonable goal. Don't expect massive weight loss with an injury. I have a friend who has the same back injury and in physical therapy, they have her mainly just focusing on working on her core muscles with plank exercises to help give her support for her other exercises. I sympathize for you. But you are determined and that is truly what you need to make this work. You'll do well on your journey.
  • tooFAT2
    HI! Thanks for the 'reply'! I didnt expect one so soon.:smile:

I will keep your advice in mind. I should have also been in physical therapy BUT my insurance did not cover it and the physical therapy facility would not allow for a payment plan. SO, I have been doing 'some' exercises the doctor reccommended...but, I am certain that I NEED to do more and I will.

SO, the plank exercises your friend is doing...are they like pilates-type exercises?
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    I wish you all the best. Remember to stick with it and if you mess up, don't be too hard on your self, just get back on track as soon as possible. Take some time to read the "must reads" in the community section and start making some friends... lots of supportive folks out there all struggling towards similar goals.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    HI! Thanks for the 'reply'! I didnt expect one so soon.:smile:

I will keep your advice in mind. I should have also been in physical therapy BUT my insurance did not cover it and the physical therapy facility would not allow for a payment plan. SO, I have been doing 'some' exercises the doctor reccommended...but, I am certain that I NEED to do more and I will.

SO, the plank exercises your friend is doing...are they like pilates-type exercises?
    Yes, where you are on your hands or elbows and stay in that position with your body straight for 30 seconds. She says it killed her the first couple of times but she is definitely seeing an improvement. And I see her post-baby stomach actually shrinking. She also does exercises with a ball, but I'm not 100% sure what those are. Just take it slow. Slow and steady wins the race. You're a winner.
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Hi Melissa-
    I know what you mean by the pain! I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back (lumbar region) that caused my legs to be numb for years, while at the same time causing extreme back and butt pain. That happened after I hit a deer. And then last year, I was hit by a drunk driver and herniated 2 discs in my neck as well. That definitely impacted my weight loss.

It is a shame your insurance does not cover the therapy. I myself used an inversion table, and it has been a god-send. (It is a table where you hook your legs in and then tip partially or completely upside down and allow gravity to help pull the vertebrae apart- this allows the herniated disc to quit being squished and assume a more natural shape.) After doing the table for a week, I noticed that I could feel my feet again- the first time in over 8 years!!!!

Until you can move freely, the whole exercise thing is darn near impossible. SO- losing weight like your doc says to do is tough. Keep thinking positive!

(You can buy inversion tables for under $200- I actually found mine barely used for $100)

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • tooFAT2
    Thank you!

I think I have a pilates dvd somewhere...plus I have Beachbody's Total Body Solution...I merely viewed the exercises thinking that I was not strong enough to do them BUT i know i can b/c i managed to lie down on the floor today...besides some of the exercises you described are on the dvd. So it cannot be wrong, right? I will however show it to my doc...I have also spoken to other people with the same disc issue and most have just been walking and that is what I have done...but like I saidd I want to get stronger in order to exercise to lose weight. I will be patient. I will take it slow and easy...again, thank you.

melissa
  • tooFAT2
    Hi Melissa-
    I know what you mean by the pain! I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back (lumbar region) that caused my legs to be numb for years, while at the same time causing extreme back and butt pain. That happened after I hit a deer. And then last year, I was hit by a drunk driver and herniated 2 discs in my neck as well. That definitely impacted my weight loss.

It is a shame your insurance does not cover the therapy. I myself used an inversion table, and it has been a god-send. (It is a table where you hook your legs in and then tip partially or completely upside down and allow gravity to help pull the vertebrae apart- this allows the herniated disc to quit being squished and assume a more natural shape.) After doing the table for a week, I noticed that I could feel my feet again- the first time in over 8 years!!!!

Until you can move freely, the whole exercise thing is darn near impossible. SO- losing weight like your doc says to do is tough. Keep thinking positive!

(You can buy inversion tables for under $200- I actually found mine barely used for $100)

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • tooFAT2
    oops...i don't know what I just did...hehe...but I meant to comment about the inversion table...I did read something about that online....I am glad to learn that it is effective...did it hurt when you upside down?

thanks for the advise....i will see if maybe i can search for one in my area.

melissa
  • tooFAT2
    I wish you all the best. Remember to stick with it and if you mess up, don't be too hard on your self, just get back on track as soon as possible. Take some time to read the "must reads" in the community section and start making some friends... lots of supportive folks out there all struggling towards similar goals.

thanks for your suggestions...I most definitely NEED the support. I have so many of my friends/coworkers not really understanding me right now...They pretty much feel like "what's the use b/c you with a hurt back you will never lose weight" ... I know not to believe that but when you here those negatives comments daily it 's hard to fight all of the tempting foods they eat...but i will be strong and i am determined.

melissa
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,914 Member
    Hi Melissa,

Welcome! Good luck with your journey!
  • tooFAT2
    Hi Melissa,

Welcome! Good luck with your journey!

HI...thank you!

I am SUPER excited to meet like-minded people who understand WHY I want to take control of my weight/fitness.
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I just know you will love this site if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.:smile::smile: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    oops...i don't know what I just did...hehe...but I meant to comment about the inversion table...I did read something about that online....I am glad to learn that it is effective...did it hurt when you upside down?

melissa

No- it does not hurt. It actually feels really good. I can't do it right now cuz my sinuses are really congested and hanging upside down fills them up. But normally, it just stretches me out and I feel so relaxed afterwards. I go right to bed to give myself a chance to adjust and the discs a chance to go back in and not get recompressed. If you do it daily for about 10 minutes at a time, you will definitely notice a difference.
  • tooFAT2

melissa

No- it does not hurt. It actually feels really good. I can't do it right now cuz my sinuses are really congested and hanging upside down fills them up. But normally, it just stretches me out and I feel so relaxed afterwards. I go right to bed to give myself a chance to adjust and the discs a chance to go back in and not get recompressed. If you do it daily for about 10 minutes at a time, you will definitely notice a difference.

thanks...um, how do you get in or out of that contraption??? As you can see, I have yet to look online for more info:blushing: ok, I will today...

have a great Sunday!
    melissa

HI Lauramg!!
  • tooFAT2
    ugh, bummer, I ate too much dinner again So I didnt leave much of a calorie deficit today but still below the claories my body recommends for me to maintain my weight...so maybe not much of 2 pound loss this week but there is still 6 days to go for this week...I will keep moving foward.

melissa
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    I have had back problems most of my life, and 2 years ago a chiropractor really messed up my back and now i am prone to one of my discs in my lower back bulging. When that happens I can barely walk for about a week. I have been doing back strengthening excercises for the past 2 years, and it has really helped. I can now do pretty much anything, however I am really careful when it comes to my back, if I feel any type of discomfort I stop immediately and do other things.

Just take it slow and if it bothers you move on to something else.
  • tooFAT2
    Hi alapointe! Thanks so much for your input regarding my back problems....OMG the chiropractor hurt you worse, um, that makes me glad that I have not gone to one b/c I have not had any money to pay for one...so what exactly kind of workouts do you do???

melissa
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Hi Melissa,

Sorry about your back. I'm glad you are starting over. I have started over so many times it is ridiculous, but never before on this site. This is a great site. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon!
  • Best of luck this time. You can do it.:flowerforyou: