Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Delta is exploding here in my county. I feel a little angry that I have to "ask" but I just sent a note in to my manager requesting to work remote until the "uncontrolled community spread" is over here. It's probably worse now than at any time during the 15 months I was remote. And with the efficacy of the vaccine being possibly less than 50% I hope they approve this request.

I doubt it's worse now. I live in a place where we've had a pretty bad experience, and the highest deaths were 238 (for my city) in Dec, with the second worse 191 on May 13, 2020. Current deaths are at 1. I think the media isn't accurately reporting what is really going on.

See what happens in a couple weeks when the seeds planted by Lalapolooza in Chicago germinate.

Yeah, admittedly I've been worried about that. They should have at least required everyone to be vaxxed (I understand why they didn't want to cancel it). Apparently those attending were mostly ignoring the rules that require everyone on public transit to be masked (previously, I've found most on the brown line and buses where I am had been following the rules).

Think it would have been virtually impossible to check that many people at an area that really isn't designed as a concert venue.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Delta is exploding here in my county. I feel a little angry that I have to "ask" but I just sent a note in to my manager requesting to work remote until the "uncontrolled community spread" is over here. It's probably worse now than at any time during the 15 months I was remote. And with the efficacy of the vaccine being possibly less than 50% I hope they approve this request.

I doubt it's worse now. I live in a place where we've had a pretty bad experience, and the highest deaths were 238 (for my city) in Dec, with the second worse 191 on May 13, 2020. Current deaths are at 1. I think the media isn't accurately reporting what is really going on.

See what happens in a couple weeks when the seeds planted by Lalapolooza in Chicago germinate.

Yeah, admittedly I've been worried about that. They should have at least required everyone to be vaxxed (I understand why they didn't want to cancel it). Apparently those attending were mostly ignoring the rules that require everyone on public transit to be masked (previously, I've found most on the brown line and buses where I am had been following the rules).

Think it would have been virtually impossible to check that many people at an area that really isn't designed as a concert venue.

Lolla concert-goers were required to show either proof of vaccination or a negative Covid test within 3 days prior.

https://support.lollapalooza.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403048984852-Covid-19-Health-Policy-and-Lollapalooza-Entry-Requirements

Interesting, can't imagine a fair number didn't slip by.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

They were checking. You just also could have a negative test (w/in 72 hours).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited August 2021
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I’ve not seen any statistics showing which shot people with breakthrough cases got. It seems like that would be an interesting statistic.

If anyone has seen the breakdown, please post.

I don't know if somebody (CDC??) is keeping track of which vaccine has the most break-thru cases, or if testing centers ask for the name of the vaccine that a person received. It would be interesting to know.

I was reading online (Mr. Google to the rescue) that breakthrough cases may be under counted and underestimated since not all vaccinated people feeling sick or "thinking" that they got covid seek testing. Some just quarantine themselves for few days. In addition, some vaccinated people that might have been infected with the new variant could be totally un-symptomatic, but still able to spread the virus. That is why masks are still needed.

I agree. My dh was sick last week with a bad cold; I'm guessing but we had no proof. When he called the dr. they told him not to worry about getting tested because he had Covid back in November and was vaccinated in March/April. They only asked if he was running a fever. With all the breakthrough infections going on of vaccinated people.....I didn't agree with his dr. at all. :(
    Our numbers are low but are they really, if people aren't getting tested the way they were?

The way to keep an eye on that is the positivity rate. When I checked a couple of days ago NH had a low positivity rate, so it appears people are getting tested or at least that the low numbers aren't simply due to low tests.