First time dieting

Any recommendations for a newbie who knows nothing about dieting? Need to loose 100 lbs. thank you

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    Welcome to MFP

Have you spoken to a nutritionist?
    Are you working with doctor supervision?
    What is your age? Gender? Height? (This affects how many calories you will need.

I’m almost 50 pounds down, with another 50 or more to go.

Here are some key things:

Do. Not. Quit.
    I mean it. You will lose motivation. You’ll get tired of something. Maybe the exercise. Maybe counting calories. Doesn’t matter.
    Do it anyhow

There’s a lot of discussion about how essential “CICO” is. That means “calories in, calories out” and this is an absolute baseline.

But there definitely are things to consider along with CICO not instead of. Along with. And those things will depend on your individual situation.

Portion control is crucial.
    A divided plate is helpful in the early days.
    We use long handled measuring spoons meant for the restaurant industry to portion out our meals too.
    Snacks are possible, but portioning them is very important - especially if mindless grazing, or binging are an issue.

Take it one day at a time. 100 pounds is a long haul, and you’re gonna want to keep it off. So one day at a time. Build healthy habits. Make some mini goals to hit. Maybe every 10 pounds? Or 25?

There are some groups here that are very helpful. Biggest Loser is one. Let me know if you need more help.

Start by logging everything that goes in your mouth. Always log every time you eat.

Stick with it. You CAN DO THIS
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,417 Member
    What they’ve said ^^^^^

Weigh food accurately, log food honestly.

Besides logging every morsel, reconsider every morsel and ask yourself, what small change could I make to lower the calories and/or get serving size under control. Diet soda? Fat free half and half instead of full fat? Pump sprayer for oil instead of pouring it straight out of the bottle? Air fryer instead of deep or pan frying? Fresh cherries instead of candy? Low calorie bread or wrap instead of regular bread? Sugar free or balsamic salad dressing instead of heavy bottled ones?

Every small tweak you make here results in a savings there.

Pre-logging my meals and snacks several days out has been very effective for me with portion size, calories, and general organization, hence saving money on groceries.

But#1 suggestion I have is to spend thirty minutes a day reading these boards. The information and support you’ll get here is beyond expressing.