What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A tomato and watermelon salad with feta is good.

Ehhhhh....I'll reserve judgment since I haven't had it but, in my head...
    Tomato + feta = good.
    Watermelon + feta = good.
    Tomato + watermelon...? I'm trying to imagine those together and it's not going well. :D

Then just go with watermelon + feta + thin-sliced red onion + good balsamic vinegar. 😉😋
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    A tomato and watermelon salad with feta is good.

Ehhhhh....I'll reserve judgment since I haven't had it but, in my head...
    Tomato + feta = good.
    Watermelon + feta = good.
    Tomato + watermelon...? I'm trying to imagine those together and it's not going well. :D

I was skeptical before I tried it, but it was good.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Watermelon and straight-up salt sounds weird, but I do know people who love watermelon with feta...

Not me, though. Said it before in this thread but sweet+salty anything is not my thing.

I have put salt on pretty much any kind of melon. Really fresh and ripe melons don't need it, but if the flavor is kind of blah a little bit of salt enhances the natural melon flavor. There doesn't need to be so much salt that it actually tastes salty.
  • AquaPunk87
    AquaPunk87 Posts: 13 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Doughnuts are hugely overrated unless it's a chocolate with red chille and bacon from Rebel.

blasphemy... donuts are like, a gift straight from the heavens...

Yeah, but Rebel donuts are a whole other level. They're all sick 😉
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Regarding donuts - I do not like filled donuts at all - and would prefer a cake/dense donut than a yeasted one...mind you - I never crave donuts in the least and haven't had one since forever lol!
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Generally speaking: I dislike burgers that have more than one patty.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    EyeOTS wrote: »
    Generally speaking: I dislike burgers that have more than one patty.

YES.
    What's funny is it's not the amount of meat that bothers me...I like a thick, juicy burger patty.
    But I don't like 2 skinny patties. Maybe it's because the thinner they are, the more they are guaranteed to be overcooked and tasteless.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited August 2021
    You don't need to use oil in pan/oven cooking anything and it's a waste of calories. I never understand why people would waste 100 calories for 1 tbsp when you can make it easily with just a quick spray of pam. I have never used oil when cooking in my entire life.

I told this to my friend and she was shocked "omg you HAVE to use oil, how can you cook without it, do you use butter instead"?

i rarely use oil when cooking because i use baking paper instead.When i do use it i only use olive oil and it's usually 5-10ml. I normally prefer using it on my food after it's been cooked, to get the full flavour.
    So yeah you don't need it for cooking but a little bit is good for you.
  • SuzySunshine99
    You don't need to use oil in pan/oven cooking anything and it's a waste of calories. I never understand why people would waste 100 calories for 1 tbsp when you can make it easily with just a quick spray of pam. I have never used oil when cooking in my entire life.

I told this to my friend and she was shocked "omg you HAVE to use oil, how can you cook without it, do you use butter instead"?

I like the taste of olive oil, so for me, it's worth the calories to drizzle it on the vegetables I'm roasting.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Delicious simple foods from Asia that is very unpopular/unheard of in the west:

1.) Cold homemade soybean milk + wheat noodles (Korean style noodle dish)

2.) Rice + raw egg + soy sauce (Japanese breakfast dish). Don't get me started on Natto combined with sliced okra.

3.) Braised frog legs are very delicious. Also stir fried silkworm cocoons! (Vietnamese sides)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member

I like the taste of olive oil, so for me, it's worth the calories to drizzle it on the vegetables I'm roasting.

Olive oil is good if you want after for flavor but in cooking has low smoke point which causes oxidation so avocado, coconut are better for cooking if you do
  • SuzySunshine99
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Olive oil is good if you want after for flavor but in cooking has low smoke point which causes oxidation so avocado, coconut are better for cooking if you do

I do use avocado oil for high-heat cooking. It has a nice flavor, and doesn't set off my smoke detector. :D
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    edited August 2021

Agreed you don't NEED it. I wouldn't call it a waste either though, the foods I naturally gravitate towards while dieting are low in fat. I'm actually trying to add "good" fat into my diet to make it more balanced.

But it was supposed to be an unpopular opinion :smile: