Starting again for the third time (or is the fouth?)

angf0679
angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
I need help sticking to this! I saw a number on the scales last week I've never seen before. It's a number that was higher then the first time I started this! I've spent a lot of money this year buying bigger clothes as nothing was fitting me anymore.

One would think I wouldn't have this issue as I am a runner. Only thing is I'm struggling to run. I've lost my love and motivation. With no in person races for over a year due to COVID, I'm tired of the virtual races. I no longer have the motivation for virtual.

I need people to help me stick to this and loose what I've called my "CVOID, isolated, not-running weight"

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    I empathize. I became very active in my 40s, even training & competing in a short-endurance sport (rowing), but stayed overweight. For me, calorie-counting is super-useful, and the MFP approach especially so, so I hope it may be for you, again, too.

My sport is seasonal here (river freezes), so even though I stay active during the off-season, volume is lower.

The "log exercise calories separately" approach has been really helpful: I pretty much understand how to eat when more active, how to eat when not very active, in order to maintain weight. (I'm in year 5+ of maintaining at this point.) I still count, but I think the same thing could still apply at a more intuitive level of understanding how much to eat under varied conditions to achieve weight-management goals. I understand that it can be not-easy when the activity volume drop is quite substantial, though!

I also understand what you're saying about motivation under changed conditions. Have you considered sampling other activities to create some interest/spark, or does that seem out of reach now, too?

I'm kind of a regrettably unhelpful MFP friend, on the friend-feed side of things, I'm sorry to say (more of a Community forum gal, I guess) . . . but I wanted to stop by your thread here, offer some support that way, encourage you to keep pulling on various threads until you find the one that unravels the current tangle.

Best wishes, sincerely!
  • cobalt108
    cobalt108 Posts: 60 Member
    Yes to spending a lot of money on bigger clothes! It was so so depressing.

I gained a lot of weight over the past year+ When my whole routine changed.
    I struggled with home workouts too. I did so much better at the actual gym, but when they opened again I struggled to breathe working out with the mask and also got a weird face rash so I just stopped going. Now I’m back on MFP to sort myself out again lol
    Definitely want to support you on your journey! Feel free to add me!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I love the real, in person 5k/10k/half marathon events also. Virtual runs? They don't do anything for me. I'm hoping the world will be normal enough for me to do a half marathon in March 2022, and I intend to start preparing for it soon. I think I'm going to have to act like it will happen (and that I will feel comfortable participating) to motivate my running/training. Even if it just means I'm playing mind games with myself.
  • jakers6108
    jakers6108 Posts: 19 Member
    If you do a 5K I will do one around same time as you! I have never run in one but used to run cross country in high school forever ago
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    jakers6108 wrote: »
    If you do a 5K I will do one around same time as you! I have never run in one but used to run cross country in high school forever ago

I have an in-person 5K on November 6. Provided restrictions don't increase again in the fall and it's cancelled. It will only be my second on this year. There has been other local ones, but they are Sundays and I do not race on Sundays.

My next big on is my virtual BOSTON marathon. Only way I will ever be able to do Boston. I'm not fast enough!
    I love the real, in person 5k/10k/half marathon events also. Virtual runs? They don't do anything for me. I'm hoping the world will be normal enough for me to do a half marathon in March 2022, and I intend to start preparing for it soon. I think I'm going to have to act like it will happen (and that I will feel comfortable participating) to motivate my running/training. Even if it just means I'm playing mind games with myself.

I didn't mind virtual before. After 2 years of them I am tired of them and long for in person. Almost all of the ones I do every year, have set their dates for 2022 with plans to do them. I just hope they can!